It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton gives NKorea's Kim message from Obama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Clinton gives NKorea's Kim message from Obama

news.yahoo.com

Former US President Bill Clinton on Tuesday met North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il in Pyongyang and delivered a verbal message from current President Barack Obama, official media reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

White House denies Obama message to Kim Jong-Il

The White House denied reports Tuesday that former president Bill Clinton carried a message to Pyongyang from President Barack Obama to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by MysterE]

Ban Instructions: Do Not Sensationalize The Headline

[edit on 8/4/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
What we have here is two contradicting statements. The North Korean State Media is saying that Bill Clinton delivered a verbal message to Kim Jong-Ill. But the whitehouse has come out and said that "that is not true"

From this article

The White House denied reports Tuesday that former president Bill Clinton carried a message to Pyongyang from President Barack Obama to North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il.
"That's not true," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said when asked about the reports from North Korean state media

So which is it? Is Bill Clinton passing secret messages to Kim Jong-Il from Obama, or is the North Korean media trying to spin his visit?

-E-

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 4-8-2009 by MysterE]

[edit on 8/4/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Here we go again! We're sure to get different stories depending to who in the administration you talk to. Axlerod will claim there might have been a message, than Gibbs will deny it. These little dances with the Obama administration have already gotten tiresome.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So, how trustworthy do you think Gibbs is?

Or NK for that matter.

An Obama message via Clinton looks like a good way to do it and denying it up front takes NK's spin opportunity out of the picture for now.

Nice thing about spoken messages is that they are entirely deniable.
And if it works out, taking credit - Obama/Clinton - is nice and the general public will understand the reasons for secrecy....

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Odds are it is just the state media trying to spin his visit, but doesn't his visit seem odd? Bill Clinton going to try and free prisioners? Very odd. If there was a message passed I would like to know what it was.

-E-

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This one is hard to call, neither of the parties involved are trust worthy.

I wouldn't put it past NK to fabricate something like this, but then again I also wouldn't put it past Obama to actually do something like this either.

Tough call, guess we will have to file this one in the cold cases files for later review, unless more info comes out.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I would say the Bill Clinton may have over stepped the bounderies and gave a verbal message and said it was from Obama.

Seeing as how he doesn't really have any clout, this might have been a way for them to take him more seriously.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
to be honest, i think NK is spinning this around.

Clinton is there for something, most likley to do with nuclear arms, however if it was a message from obama, i dont recon they would send in someone with such a high profile. Someone more dissposable so they can sweep it under the crapet if it goes wrong, also if their doing some trade deal, they wouldnt want to be seen as dealing with NK, so once again wouldnt send someone with a high profile.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'll bet that it is the NK state media that is putting the "delivering a message" spin on things. From the smile on Kim's face in the photo op...I'll bet that he will spin this to make it seem to the people of NK that the US is bowing down after Kim's threat of annihilation.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I am still curious as to why NK let Bill in. With all the trash talk that NK has done over the last few months, I would have thought that they wouldn't allow any high profile American in their country.

Seeing that both sides knew about the visit tells me that their is more to the visit than just getting the release of two Americans.

Has Clinton or any other high profiled Americans been to any other places to get Americans released?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Has Clinton or any other high profiled Americans been to any other places to get Americans released?

Jimmy Carter did. More than once I believe. I'll have to look up the specifics though.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Hey MysterE

Always a pleasure to run into you on the forums...

I started a thread about this last night when Clinton had left for his trip. My thread can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do agree with you that something fishy is going on here. Not only was this a trip that an Ex-president was sent on (rather than a cabinet member or an actual ambassador), there is much secrecy as to what is occurring.

The initial MSM announcement was that Clinton was going to hold talks to negotiate the release of the two Americans, but not the announcement is that a "wide range of topics" was discussed (link and elaboration posted in my thread).

This raises many questions.

*Why was Bill Clinton asked to go over?

*What is it about Bill Clinton that makes Kim willing to talk, when he has had a very hard-lined stance with other attempts?

*Was some sort of black-mail or other method used against Kim that hasn't been tried before that made him so keen to receive him into his nation with such gratitude?

MysterE,

What say we collaborate some on this and try to put our research together on the matter?

-Sliadon

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Let's see if NK does something soon...in a way or the other... starts a war or start to talk... If so, IMO there was a secret message delivered...if not, probably no message.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Did you guys see the footage of Bill and Lil Kim on TV?

Did you think it looked like someone had let a blind monkey loose on photoshop?

I did.The whole thing looked fake to me.Maybe they only have retarded cameras in DPRKimmy.
Look at these pics from the meeting:

See what I mean?

Looks like bad playstation1 graphics and cardboard cutouts!!
All Smiles though!!!How Jolly,Thought they were enemies...

edit
ops,link:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 4/8/2009 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sorry to be a hog,but:

Caption for the second photo:

Lil Kim: "I used to be this tall,then I got those wonderful platform soles you recomended Bill.
Now I am rots and rots taller."

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Sliadon

Hey Sliadon, good to see you as always. I just got through reading your thread, not sure how I missed it this morning. Im game for a collaborative effort on this. I think the real agenda will be shown soon when there will be a "breakthrough" in diplomatic relations with NK, or something of that nature. Why Bill and not Hilary?

-E-

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Any chance we can get the USS PUEBLO back, too?
And how about a formal apology for the death of Fireman Apprentice Duane Hodges, killed during the PUEBLO boarding, too.

North Korea deserves nothing less than a good ass-kicking. Screw the diplomacy.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this, but I don't think I like it! The girls we are begging for where rightfully found guilty and they only got a 12 year sentence. I think that is appropriate.

We have a ton of sanctions against this regime, but we are "courteously" sitting down for a fine banquet with this "evil" leader while his people starve, his entire budget goes into banned weapons, and we are openly calling for search and seizure of his import/export cargo?!?

Clinton may or may-not be an envoy from Obama, but seeing as how he is married to our Secretary of State, I am pretty sure the Obama Administration had some input before hand!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I would assume they sent Bill Clinton as meetings with any member of the current administration would be seen as 'official' talks. Bill Clinton is still big enough to get Kim's attention and respect but can not be considered as part of the US government or be seen as representing the President in any negotiations.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I get the feeling the 3 prisoners plight is just the MSM veneer for something else,don't know what.
I must say when I heard Bill was heading over there I thought Kimmy was going to snub him,and get some deputy dude to deal with him.

It almost seemed as though the North Korean folks were trying to put their best face on for the world MSM.Kim looked so JOLLY!!
Which I find strange when I think of the war rhetoric recently coming from DPRK.
I wonder how Kimco will spin this visit to their own people?
Will it ever even feature on TV news over there?

<<   2 >>

join