It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Airborne Laser (YAL-1A)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
The Airborne Laser (ABL) will provide boost-phase defense against a ballistic missile aimed at the United States, its allies, or American troops deployed around the globe.

ABL�a component in the Missile Defense Agency�s
plan to present a �layered defense� designed to
destroy missiles in any of their three stages of flight�
is a revolutionary program using a chemical laser as an
actual weapon.

03-FS-0004 1/30/04

ABL�s mission is straightforward: Detect, track,
target and destroy threatening missiles, no matter if
they are in the short, medium, or long-range class. It�s
the way this is done that makes the job such a
challenge.

ABL is an amalgamation of technologies. There is
the aircraft, a Boeing 747-400 freighter, a staple
among long-distance carriers. There is the Chemical,
Oxygen Iodine Laser (COIL), which was invented at
Kirtland Air Force Base in 1977. There is the heart of
the optical system�the �deformable� mirror�which was developed at Kirtland�s Starfire Optical Range. And there are the infrared sensors which first were tested on the F-14 �Tomcat� fighter plane shortly before the first Gulf War.

However, these varied components have never been joined together in a single system and tested against a target as tough as a just-launched ballistic missile climbing upward at twice the speed of sound.

To accomplish its mission, ABL has to take a series of separate but well-defined steps. First, it has to know that a missile has been launched and determine where that missile is located. ABL does this with infrared sensors that are located around the aircraft, one each in front and rear and two on each side.

At that point, ABL�s array of four lasers takes over. One locks onto the missile to provide detailed tracking
information. Another determines the aimpoint on the target. A third measures the amount of atmospheric disturbance between ABL and the target so computers and deformable mirrors can compensate for the amount of refraction the laser beam will encounter on its way to the target.

Finally the last laser�the megawatt-class COIL�will
fire its laser weapon. COIL kills the missile by heating up the missile�s metal skin until it cracks. Since the missile�s interior is pressurized during launch, the crack rapidly expands into a tear and the fuel explodes.

The heavily modified aircraft made its first flight on
July 18, 2002. Six months later, after 14 flights, the
aircraft was rolled into a hangar at Edwards Air Force
Base, California, where it is awaiting delivery of the
other systems. The high-energy laser is being
assembled in a separate hangar and scheduled to be tested in the spring of 2004. Finishing touches also are being mademon the optical system, which will then be shipped to Edwards to be installed in the aircraft.

After completion of ground testing, the ABL will fly as a complete system. After a series of tests to confirm the
system�s capabilities, ABL is scheduled to conduct its first experiment to actually shoot down a ballistic missile.

Many say that such an accomplishment�because the use of a laser as a weapon is such a radical departure from the explosive-type weapons that have been used for centuries�will signal the emergence of an entirely new type of warfare, one that will be as significant to aerial combat as the Wright brothers first flight or the development of nuclear weapons.

www.acq.osd.mil...

Mr. M

[Edited on 12-5-2004 by StarChild]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
can i ask a serios questoin here star child
how do u know where the missile is ?
i mean if the missile is enroute to its target then shouldnt it be going fast
and do u think u could get the aircraft loaded up launched and at the missles postion in time to stop it ?
i dont mean these questions as sarcastic im seriosly asking

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   
The aircraft will be strategically deployed around the world, based out of Air Force/Joint bases, and will be on continuous patrol.

As you can see, I did not mention the range of this weapon, as it is classified. However, I can tell you that the range is more than sufficient.

As far as the speed of the missile is concerned, that has no relevance to the effectiveness of the weapon. Lasers travel at the speed of light, and the only calculations necessary to complete a successful shot are precise measurements prior to interception.

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Possible useful back-issue threads that may add to this discussion?
Airborne laser

Interesting information SC.

seekerof

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thank you for the reference Seekerof. That thread was posted a long time ago! It's funny to look back and see how things we thought were never possible are now becoming a reality...

Mr. M

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
yeah its really amazing man
think we didnt think we'd reach space and we did didnt we

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
can i ask a serios questoin here star child
how do u know where the missile is ?
i mean if the missile is enroute to its target then shouldnt it be going fast
and do u think u could get the aircraft loaded up launched and at the missles postion in time to stop it ?
i dont mean these questions as sarcastic im seriosly asking

The missile launch can be picked up by sensors on the 747 (some of which will be embedded in the skin of the aircraft) as well as other networked RCCE aerospace assets including those in orbit.

The ABL's mission is to intercept the missile in it's boost phase - that is long before it reaches the zenith of it's trajectory and also prior to it's attaining maximum velocity.

As far as the state of preparation of the ABL - the strategy would include having one airborne 100% of the time during a period of heightened threat.

Originally posted by StarChild
As you can see, I did not mention the range of this weapon, as it is classified. However, I can tell you that the range is more than sufficient.

The range is in excess of 300 miles...

natalie~

[Edited on 11-5-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
probably is also linked to the us early warning satellite system so it knows where to look initialy

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
A bit of news about the ABL (air-bourne laser)

Laser Turret Ball From Brashear

Lockheed Martin said Thursday that it has begun final integration of the flight turret assembly for the Airborne Laser (ABL) program. ABL will be the world's first megawatt-class laser weapon system integrated on a specially configured 747-400F aircraft to autonomously detect, track and destroy hostile ballistic missiles.

Source: SpaceDaily.com

Hopfully we will see some real world tests in the not to distance future.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Nice post, Popeye. Thanks for the link.

It appears that the operational phase of development has already been completed. Soon it will be implemented throughout the military spectrum, encompassing all aspects of air operations.

I think this is a brilliant invention, considering the potential uses of the weapon, as far as defense operations are concerned. This weapon will highly increase our defense capabilities, and assist in our efforts while defending foreign nations.

Mr. M

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i am very sorry for you all people but the SCENARIO have changed drastically !

this is the 2004 and later scenario:

...a neat bmw comes driving and stops in the main square of a big populated city.
a nicely dressed gentlemen from arab origine steps out
and takes,what seems to be something the bussinessman of today takes with him anytime, a laptop
looking device in the righthand and steps in an easy way into the cityhall.
relaxed and gently he opens the "laptop"device and
it looks he types something on the keys of the keyboard...
F L A S H
a light like a million suns rises high in the sky while a
mushroom shaped red hot cloud is forming...

no airborne laser could avoid this catastrophe !

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

[Edited on 18-5-2004 by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE]

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
no they call that counter terrorism

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
just imagine that this takes place in 20 different big populated cities in EUROPA ,ASIA or the USA.

the impact on defense would be true pandemonium of desperation...

today we have to keep in account such operations as a real danger to our western civilization.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   
we are talking about open war not terrorism gurilla style tactics

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

we are talking about open war not terrorism gurilla style tactics

World has to forget about open war!

Soon there will be nothing like open war.

War tactics change all the time and now the new tactic is gurilla warfare.

For gurilla warfare help tips ask Iseral and Russia.

Soon even US will understand what gurilla warfare is.

Out,
Russian

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
yep ! all western military intelligence have to open their eyes and re-think their strategies all over !
war as they knowed is PAST ! finished ! obsolete !

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
not really SF guys are trained in that art but are rarely used
anyway i dont think that real warfare will go away

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

not really SF guys are trained in that art but are rarely used
anyway i dont think that real warfare will go away

What are you talking about. SF guys conduct guerilla style attacks every day. The US SF guys used to do guerilla attacks better than the VC back during the Vietnam War.

Define "Real Warfare?"

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
what i mean is thier not placeing tactical nuclear warheads in cities
i know they use like attacks against military targets with SF but they dont use them to place nukes and stuff in cities like terrorists
also what i mean by real war is a war when countries arnt afraid to declare thier aliances and enemies
im sorry i didnt word my sentances right

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOGODSINTHEUNIVERSE
i am very sorry for you all people but the SCENARIO have changed drastically !

this is the 2004 and later scenario:

...a neat bmw comes driving and stops in the main square of a big populated city.
a nicely dressed gentlemen from arab origine steps out
and takes,what seems to be something the bussinessman of today takes with him anytime, a laptop
looking device in the righthand and steps in an easy way into the cityhall.
relaxed and gently he opens the "laptop"device and
it looks he types something on the keys of the keyboard...
F L A S H
a light like a million suns rises high in the sky while a
mushroom shaped red hot cloud is forming...

no airborne laser could avoid this catastrophe !

Yes lets say the terrorists will have 20 nukes and they will be able to destroy 20 big cities and kill lets say 50 milion of people.
But this can happen only once because the next thing would be 500 ICBMs erasing the whole muslim civilization from the earth.

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by longbow]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join