It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space a very thin liquid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Hello users, I was just thinking about a previous thread, 'Is space a vacuum' or something, and, instead of reviving it and causing some confusion, I thought I'd just do it this way.
I was just sitting in a certain water filled container and I thought, 'Well, if water is a liquid, and air acts in the same way making it like a liquid of different qualities, could space be a liquid? Or am I being pretentious(?)? It's just that is things can live in water, and live in air, could lifeforms be able to live, develop and evolve in space? Breathe space as though it were air?
I don't know, I haven't the mental capacity to understand what I'm talking about, but, if you are interested in this little idea*, or if you think it's stupid, please, help me in the right direction.

Ramadwarf on the weather

*I apologise if this has been discussed before or is being discussed in another thread. The coincidence is not intended if so.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Actually that's not a bad point.

Viscosity is relative. There are creatures who use the same physical principles to achieve flight as some do to swim. It stands to reason that as the atmosphere thins, there may be an ecological niche filled by a different class of organism to achieve the same mobility in a thinner medium, at a lower gravitational level.

I am one of those who have often felt that the 'little critters' that seem to populate the immediate vicinity of our manned space flights might well be organic, and native to our planet... at least that theory merits some consideration in my mind.

Good post!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
ima newbie so sorry if this sucks (:

this reminds of level in a star trek game where a giant creature much like a whale, drifts through space eating some kind of space planktonesque organism.

no real input, sorry, i dont disagree that space could have properties describable as a liquid.

i aint no physisicist tho!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Hey Babe! (we're in skunkworks, so I can say..."Hey Babe"!

Thanks for the diversion away from Kenyan birth certificates and the dollar is no more. Whew.

Interesting thought. But haven't we already been in space? I mean, if it were liquid wouldn't we know it by now?

Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Hello there! Well, the thing that I'm thinking is this: It's not really a liquid, but it may have similar qualities in that it could harbour(?) life and support it like an atmosphere of its own. So, like fish have their water and we have our air, something might have its space atmosphere in much the same context.

Ramadwarf on liking the 'babe' thing

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What your asking sound's very similar to the aether theory It used to be a pretty common idea and still has plenty of followers.

Aether theories

To me thinking of space as a liquid helps me picture it but I need to read more about the Aether theories myself to really grasp them.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Your input doesn't 'suck'! It's sort of a valid point, in a way, because artistic mediums have portrayed creatures swimming/flying in space as though they live there. Rodney Matthews (artist) is a good example, as he illustrated the ASIA album AQUA, which was of these dolphin type creatures 'flying' in space (though it is blue, but it's art, which is my excuse). So you see friend, I have taken your comment on board and I am telling you that it was a well made point indeed!

Ramadwarf on art and fantasy

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

Thanks for the link, I shall read through that tonight. I have had an idea, but I don't know whether it is covered by the Aether theory or whether it has been said before.

What if, taking that space is a form of liquid, planets and their atmospheres are like, bubbles? Or am I going too far here?

Ramadwarf on Aether theory love and the cosmic bubble bath

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well in that case I supose the universe could have a life of it's own.
We really haven't spent enough time there to understand it completely.

It's just so awesomely beautiful. Sometimes when I look at Hubble photo's I become almost entranced with it's beauty.

To RP:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yes, you are right, it is. I've always thought that there is a possibility of space being a creature of its own. I mean, not a 'god' or anything like that, but a sort preserving 'jelly' that is growing in a jar somewhere in some fantastical laboratory somewhere. It would account for the big bang theory to an extent, a small amount of matter (in this case living) that eventually took to its surroundings and exploded into life, creating us with it.
Of course I can link that idea to the 'liquid' thing we've got going here, so you are totally correct in my book! It very well could be alive, but then again, if I stick to my guns about it being a preserving jelly, it could be artificial, but that takes away the magesty(?) of it all dun' it?

Ramadwarf on the jelly of life that is the universe

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ramadwarf Philes

I've thought the same kind of thing before myself pondering if gravity could be explained by an outside force like pressure in space and I tend to think about black holes as twisting spacetime like whirlpools.

I'm not sure if I'm way of base but I do think it's possible spacetime itself could be a liquid at least in it's nature.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Hmm, interesting idea there, so, I'm sorry if I've got this wrong, but, do you think that time itself is liquid? I only say that because it would explain why we get old and wrinkles appear, like when you're in the water too long. It would also explain why those wrinkles don't go away: because time is all around us?

I wrote a short story once (it didn't come out very good), but the idea was that a group of people were taken from the universe and placed in a new universe where time had been extracted, almost surgically, and the people didn't age. Well, that was part of it anyway... So, is time liquid too?

Ramadwarf on time (as usual!
)

[edit on 4-8-2009 by Ramadwarf Philes]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Lets think of space as you say a thin water, or air in another fashion.

Long ago, there some cells in a pool of water, after some years they evolved out of the water, with lungs that can breath the atmosphere like we do, but if some dino-bird evolved by flying very close to the upper stratosphere, we could look at it this way: they evolved some kind of lungs that can breath thinner and colder air, so the came out of the waters and into the waters above/air above..

I think this could fit that area of science .. We just need to find the fossils, which we will find, but it will take about 3-400 years..Lets just put it in the books since it sounds very plauseble..

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

That's very logical actually, could life on this planet eventually become adapted to the 'air'/'water' of space? As it adapted to the ocean and then the air?

Oh wait, sorry, you've already answered that haven't you!
Um, so, if there is life in space, maybe it evolved here on Earth! Maybe there is a possibility that the Dinosaurs are still in existence in some form or the other (apart from birds and such).

Or, whhat about pre-dino? Like, something just got up there, by evolving of course, and we just haven't found any evidence of this because it was so long ago! The fossils of these creatures might be buried beneath the ocean itself, or in some unexplored part of the world and they dissappeared into space! Ok, ok, I'm getting carried away now, but the idea is there, we can bring this round to something... But what...

Ramadwarf on ChemBreather's post

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
My thinking of spacetime being a liquid is most people tend to imagine it as a ball on a rubber surface but that is only looking at it two dimesionally.
I think personally to really apply the distortions any mass has in three dimensions it's much easier to picture it as a liquid/fluid.

I think everyone probably has their own ways of thinking about it though.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yeah, you can usually find something interesting in any idea, unless the facts are known, anything is possible. Of course, some people won't aaccept things when facts are laid out for them on a plate, but that's their business, not mine.
I personally prefer the idea of time being a liquid, or poisonous/infectious liquid within all forms of fluidity, flowing around everything.

Ramadwarf on ideas and facts

*By the way, if I seem to excited on here, it's because I'm not really bound by knowledge, so anything can get me going.

new topics

top topics

join