It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

watching the watchers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by extramileman
reply to post by Saurus

I wonder would you say that your local Lodge reflects the local demographic population, and if not what if anything is felt about the issue?

No, it does not. There are members of all races in my local lodge, but certainly not in demographic proportions.

I guess that prior to 1994, there was very little interaction between the different races. After apartheid was abolished, members of non-white races started joining Freemasonry, but since most lodges were predominantly white, and membership in general has not increased much since then, a large percentage of South African Masons consist of those who were already Masons prior to 1994.

I guess that over time, lodges will become more representative of the demographics of the country.

I must add that South African Freemasonry never excluded members of non-white races. It was more social factors (such as government laws of black South Africans not being allowed to travel in "white" areas after dark) that prevented non-white men from joining lodges, which were mainly situated in "white" areas.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Saurus once again my friend thanks for you input.

Apartheid is a word I'd love to hate however we are all on a learning curve. I find the fact that non-whites were allowed into the Lodge touching to the point the government movement laws prevented that.

I have issues with racism and can not understand the typical Bore attitude. My wife is a Bore woman and for the most part here in London UK my friends being mostly blacks.

I am sorry that political situations have effected life at the Lodge to the extent of very few new members joining. In fact political situations in Africa change like the weather here in England. "Bring me my machine gun".

On a side note when I was last around Mossel Bay I noticed the local lodge, it could not have been much larger than box room. I was shocked to see that most African chaps join the Round Table or Roatary Club as apposed to becoming Masons. Then once reaching the magic age of 30 just seem to give in.

My friend "things can only get better".

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

It is a little known fact that during Apartheid in South Africa there was only one organization permitted to fraternize or socialize with Colored people. This organization is Freemasonry.

Source:
(Extramileman, you may find the following article interesting.)

Freemasonry – Uniting Men Even During Apartheid

[edit on 6/8/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Saurus thankyou kindly

That was most illuminating, rather remarkable once again showing that masonary can be a guiding light even in the worse situations of all.

Err indoors mentioned that when she was 15 doing matrik? that the teacher covered a lesson in Freemasonary. The whole class were making rather silly jokes, that was until the teacher asked the class if anybody knew a freemason... A girl put her hand up and said my dad is a freemason - at that point the class fell into complete silence.

Stranger for me being English never having been subjected to any lessons based on masonary, and my Afircan wife to have had the subject covered in school.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join