It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Swine Flu Death in South Africa. 480 Infected, so far..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Swine flue claims its first South African life, Whats worse, it's a student from Stelenboch University in Cape Town, which means alot of young adults will be contracting it, and fast. I live in Hermanus, about 45 min drive from cape town. A student in Hermanus High School has contracted the H1N1 virus too. What do we do?
Our screwed up Government of monkeys don't think theres anything to worry about, and say they will not be taking special precautions(on last nights news). On 6 July there where 29 confirmed cases of H1N1 in South Africa, with no fatalities. By 28 July we had 480 confirmed cases and our first fatality. Who knows how the numbers will soar from here on?
I now feel the fear that the rest of the world is feeling.

The H1N1 virus has claimed its first victim in the country, after the death of a University of Stellenbosch student who contracted the flu strain. It is a little discouraging to read about this fact whilst lying in bed myself – with a head cold. Add to this the fact that we spend a lot of time in Stellenbosch during the past weekend, and that my beloved wife physically visited the Heemstede residence on the same weekend where one of the first two cases were first diagnosed, one can be excused for thinking the worst.

Latest chart of regional Swine Flu cases in South Africa

Ruan Muller, a 22-year-old polymer and textile sciences student, passed away on July 28 after being admitted to the Durbanville Medi-Clinic with pneumonia. Laboratory tests confirmed the H1N1 strain. Latest figures from the country’s National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) puts the number of tested cases at 480, but these figures are only an indication of tests and not of those potentially infected. The virus symptoms are virtually identical to normal flu. Forty-two of these cases are in the Western Cape

Feeling currently worse for wear myself, it is hard to ignore G.B. Shaw’s cheerful urging to use our health “even to the point of wearing it out” (properly indicative of why I feel the way I do):
More people go to doctors now, proportionally, than ever before, and we are (supposedly) healthier and long-lived than previous generations. There is, feeling the way I do and witnessing the progress of the now so defined swine flu epidemic, really no satisfactory definition of health – because of its subjective character. But one goods suggestion is that it is what you have when you do not notice that you have it. It does not mean that we should not think about our health – it deserves thought, and most definitely – particularly in the face of our intolerance to minor ailments and more specifically, when faced with an epidemic such as this – a modicum of care: for prevention is best, early cure is second best, and both require a sensible watchfulness. It implies calm and arming ourselves with proper information about the epidemic.

I have been following the epidemic since its first outbreak. What first looked to be some ominous signs of a doomsday scenario, is now uncomfortably close to home, a mere 15km away. How often is that the stuff of science-fiction becomes science-fact: Greg Bear writes in his Nebula award-winning novel Darwin’s Radio, “the next great war will start inside us.” In the next stage of evolution, mankind is history. Is it really like Nietzsche believed: “The sick are the greatest danger for the healthy; it is not from the strongest that harm comes to the strong, but from the weakest.”

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NathanNewZealand

First, That reply is biased and unnecessary. best be removed, and yes it is going to spread no matter what.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

This is only to be expected. Nathan ... maybe you should spend some time fightng vaccinations on YOUR side of the pond?

The SA govt is taking a fairly normal line, don't panic being the strongest message in the local media. This isn't really worse than any other year, but it seems doctors are very busy.

I've been sick, whole family has, just vitamined ourselves and life goes on.

www.iol.co.za... nw20090713124949490C309272

The heading is: NICD: Swine flu just like common cold

As per the National Institute for Communicable Diseases. Further:

However, the Institute said swine flu does not need special treatment as it took bed rest and conventional cold and flu remedies to aid recovery. "It doesn't need anything special, it's very like the common cold," said the Institute's Lucille Blumberg.

Seems reasonable.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
"Government of monkeys," eh? Not recouping fast enough from when your imperial ancestors ran the place into the ground? Grow up. Sorry, but I had to say something.
Plus, your childish thinking is reflected in your panic attack from being obviously uninformed on the real threats of swine flu. As long as you aren't as far below the poverty line, as so many in your country are (out of sight, out of mind am I right?), you should survive. You are more likely to see infected people suffer around you without you actually catching it. Comforting? I hope so.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mooseinhisglory

"Government of monkeys," eh? Not recouping fast enough from when your imperial ancestors ran the place into the ground? Grow up. Sorry, but I had to say something.

Plus, your childish thinking is reflected in your panic attack from being obviously uninformed on the real threats of swine flu. As long as you aren't as far below the poverty line, as so many in your country are (out of sight, out of mind am I right?), you should survive. You are more likely to see infected people suffer around you without you actually catching it. Comforting? I hope so.

Well, I think its clear whos being childish here... I dont know where you live, but you obviously have no idea what South Africa is realy like. Here, you are more likely to pic up a disease in a hospital than anywhere else.
I dont know what you mean by 'panic attack'? I mentioned in my post that I now feel the fear the rest of the world has.

As for our 'GOVERNMENT OF MONKEYS"....Well, let me give you a glimpse on how our minister of health deals with the HIV/AIDS pandemic... 'Eat Garlic, Beetroot, Lemon and African potatoes'.

The collection of essays by journalists, doctors and activists examines former president Thabo Mbeki's scepticism on HIV/Aids and former health minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang's promotion of garlic, beetroot and vegetables over antiretroviral drugs.

So, why dont you take your rude disrespectfull attitude and comments, and share it with someone in real life. Your ego seems a tad inflated sitting behind a computer screen.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

As I mentioned when I posted this yesterday, (link to OP)
people are going to panic.

Why? Because South Africans tend to panic whenever Americans and British panic. We are like sheep ...

We have thousands of people infected by H1N1 (they are not even bothering to test anymore, so not sure where you get your 480 people infected from).

One death. The chances of dying as a result of contracting swine flu are miniscule.

Rather worry about getting taken out by a taxi or drunk student on a Friday night.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Thanks, heres where I get the 480 from.

Since South Africa's first case of swine flu was confirmed on June 19, about 480 people were known to have been infected in the country.

News source-www.iol.co.za...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I'm also from South Africa and our school already have 15 CONFIRMED cases. I'm pretty sure I have it too. The test is just very expensive so im being treated as if I have it with Tamiflu. Atleast 200 people is absent today at school because they are sick, don't know how many of these cases are Swine Flu though, but it spreading surely and the headmaster reported that he will have to temporarily close our school if this worsens.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by Emile124]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Fair enough ... thats known cases but this article dated July 17th states:

JOHANNESBURG: South Africa passed the 100 mark for recorded cases of swine flu yesterday, the National Institute for Communicable Diseases said. In line with a World Health Organisation (WHO) recommendation last week, the institute will stop routine testing of suspected cases, having established that the pandemic has reached South Africa.

Cape Times

So those 400 odd cases are confirmed by people who were so sick they were hospitalized or specifically requested to be tested (excluding the initial 100).

Mark my words, but it is actually a better thing to have many more cases and only one death, than to have a lower amount of cases for that one death. This means the mortality rate is extremely low.

Even one death in 500 is a 0.2% death rate.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Emile124

Do yourself a favour and google "side-effects of Tamiflu". You would be a little more hesitant to take it so readily ... I was very sick but just took the usual antibiotics. No injections for me.

H1N1 is just the flu (a very fast spreading and powerful flu, yes)... some people die from it, but no more than ordinary flu does every year.

If the death rate had to hit around 2 out of every 100 then we can panic.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Personally I haven't experienced any of the "fear mongering" or "Swine flu hype" in South Africa compared to that in other countries. In fact I wonder if any of my fellow citizens have so much as heard a whisper about a vaccine or anything in that direction...?

There is no doubt that the H1N1 is spreading fast in our schools - a co-worker's son was diagnosed with such this morning along with many others in his school...

Question: Is anything really being done?
No? Should anything be done?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Gemwolf ... what is your opinion on "Should anything be done?"

The government does have a strategy of wait-and-see (much maligned by the DA of course).
Personally I think the death toll is too low for any kind of knee-jerk reaction which might include forced vaccinations.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

I am sorry to hear that. I hope you get treament and get well soon!
Think positive! Sorry to hear about the kids in your school also. x

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

My opinion: Nothing "above and beyond" should be done. It should be treated as any other flu. Should a vaccine become available (I doubt it will be available in SA any time soon) you should have the option of getting at your own cost, just as you have the option to get the "plain" flu vaccine.

At the moment I think the (South African) media is handling it very well. How the Health Authorities are handling it, is anyone's guess, but it's clearly not one of their priorities, and I'm not convinced that it should be.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jinx880101

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that?

Nathan, what possesses you to say say something like that? Could you clarify (with links to valid references) where "South Africans = trouble"?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

You are right on, what Im worried about is the striking, looting and protesting that might come of this. I say that because any minor miscomunication/ obsticle is a trigger for an event such as this to occur. It happens quite often.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Emile, i'll also warn against Tamiflu. Perhaps you could do me a favour? Check the sell/use by date?

I was under the impression Tamiflu stocks had expired already? Only level 6 (who pandemic alert) allows them to be distributed, but i also understand they're not effective against this new swine flu ...

In SA we are safer than anywhere else for 2 major reasons:

1. Chemtrails stopped several years ago, IMHO due to the work of Georg Ritchl with his orgonise-africa project.
2. they cannot effectively deal with anything, they will just not cope with any mass vaccination instructions in any way. (the shools and old age homes and clinics are the ONLY places they have power to vaccinate) But the usual incompetance and fraud will allow us to bypass the system.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
A second death, in Durban this time:

iol news

"Following his admission, a blood specimen was sent for pathological testing for H1N1 (swine flu virus) by his doctor, as he had recently returned from a trip to Swaziland. It was today confirmed that he had tested positively for the H1N1 virus."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join