It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Logical Fallacy of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This is my belief on how and why we came to be.

Everything in this universe can be explained by science/logic, even if it has not yet been reached yet.

Everything but one question.

That question is what I consider it the natural law of existence. It allows for everything else to be harnessed and used, yet also sets a blockade for us to not know anything more.

That question is what so many religions try to explain.
That question is what so many atheists try to explain.

Does it matter? What is the point of arguing over such rubbish where NO SIDE, atheism or religion can explain better than the other?

I am not atheist, religious, agnostic, whatever. I am human, and realize that decent morales and a strive to live will do me better than anything else will.

That is my belief. We are just human. To a question that is illogical, I have an illogical answer. It is the loop of time, and just is. It is not explainable, and that is what allows everything else in life to be so grand.

To try to understand life is to try to get a sea-saw up high as possible on both sides without breaking it. Once we get so far on one side, we must go down just to rise again.

The point of this thread? Religion or atheism - you are both wrong, or right. But it is pointless arguing over, and no one truly knows why and will never know why.

Instead of accepting a belief that tries to explain nothing, just admit that the answer to nothing is nothing itself. Only then can you live with everything but that one thing, which was a lot more than you ever had.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I apologize, but after having read this twice...slowly...I'm still unclear on what you're trying to say. I don't know what this "one question" you speak of is, and I don't know what "logical fallacy of life" you mention in your title is either.

What is the "one thing" you say your answer doesn't provide for? What is this "question" you speak of but don't ask? Where is the "logical fallacy" you mention in your post title?

The meaning and intent of your post are extremely unclear to me.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Wow, although I love your posts.

I despise this one.

Questions need answers.

We all know that point in time in grade school, were we did not know one of the answers on the test, so we just guessed, and some of us just skipped it and never answered.

You just skipped this question.

The question discerning your entire life, *eh skip it*.

A question needing answer, shouldn't be disposed of as okay to not answer.

You ultimately might fail the entire test.

Atheist lean toward science, Religion leads away from it, so I suppose 'guessing' if you will, toward science, wouldn't be so bad of a choice.

Respecting that everyone on ATS will or has reproduced, what is the future going to be.

I for one don't want my future children to be looking at strangers and seeing them burning in hell for eternity, just sick.

There is an answer, and that answer isn't no answer.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I'm just glad you're the first to point that out

I think OP might be trying to talk about some kind of existential nihilism.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I am lost. Extremely lost. You lost me at the one question that was never defined.

That question is what I consider it the natural law of existence. It allows for everything else to be harnessed and used, yet also sets a blockade for us to not know anything more.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
*deciphering code ring power on!*

Ok basically I think OP is saying:

Meaning of Life, Philosophy, all the big important questions etc are all unanswerable or unprovable using logic or facts or whatever.

This property is perhaps inbuilt into our very existence. Hence we will never be able to answer the questions logically.

I think he equates Illogic with Faith, hence he answers an illogical question with an illogical answer, i.e all questions are really based in faith regardless you are an athiest or thiest.

Edit:

Oh and I think his answer is "Everything just is"

[edit on 4-8-2009 by postmeme]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

amen, brother

yeah, that was a bad joke.
but i did like your post.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Life itself is the one who poses all the questions, to us, not the other way around.

How we respond then, means everything, where the meaning of communication is the response you get.

This is why an open minded viewpoint is the best viewpoint, because then the mind can function as it was designed, as a reciever and symbolic generator of meaning, based on its perceptions.

Then we can learn from life and teach from what we've actually learned where education is simply leading people to the knowledge that is already present and awaiting discovery.

If we should strive for anything, it should be a beginners mind. Then life can speak in a meaningful way to us, and through us, to others.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well honestly if one,the biggest question, cant be answered, can any question really be answered as a fact....or can it all a figment of our imagination and what we are lead to believe?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It is not that there is or is not a 'answer' that is important, but the search to find it that is critical.
One finds growth in the question not the answer.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
"The highest technique is to have no technique. "

-------

The Western approach to reality is mostly through theory, and theory begins by denying reality — to talk about reality, to go around reality, to catch anything that attracts our sense-intellect and abstract it away from reality itself. Thus philosophy begins by saying that the outside world is not a basic fact, that its existence can be doubted and that every proposition in which the reality of the outside world is affirmed is not an evident proposition but one that needs to be divided, dissected and analyzed. It is to stand consciously aside and try to square a circle.

----------

Liberate yourself from concepts and see the truth with your own eyes. — It exists HERE and NOW; it requires only one thing to see it: openness, freedom — the freedom to be open and not tethered by any ideas, concepts, etc. ... When our mind is tranquil, there will be an occasional pause to its feverish activities, there will be a let-go, and it is only then in the interval between two thoughts that a flash of UNDERSTANDING — understanding, which is not thought — can take place.

en.wikiquote.org...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I figured everyone would understand what "the one question" is

The point of this thread is to point out that you can ask "why" SO many times, yet the chain will never end.

What created our universe?

Lets just say the Big Bang.

But what was before that?

And that?

You see, all of the technology we have can be attributed to logic, and the laws of science/nature/etc.

I just believe that in order to have a system in where science can, and eventually will be able to explain so many things that allow us do to things we dreamed not possible, logic will never be able to give us the answers to why we are here and where did everything come from originally.

It is like asking for someone to find a corner in a circle (that is, if the circle is actually "round"). It is not possible, and the answer will never be possible.

Yet we have all of these belief systems that try to explain everything. IMO, they explain nothing and are only some good stories with great lessons in morale.

The title "Logical Fallacy" is a bash towards atheism. Many atheist believe that everything will be understood through science (aka logic). I believe everything can be explained by science, except the questions I posed before. Therefore, the idea that logic can explain "EVERYTHING" is not true, and a deceptive lie (fallacy).

Where does the circle of life start? It just is. Has always existed. Unless our definition of logic severely changes, the real answer to that will never make sense to us, or give us any real meaning as to how it came to be.

Originally posted by Republican08
There is an answer, and that answer isn't no answer.

Are you sure about that?

The answer to why we came to be?

If anything, it would be to just enjoy life. But that doesn't explain anything.

It seems to me that the way we live life would just become a depressed cycle if we find out how we came to be, and the existence of life itself.

You think if there is some advanced ET civilization out there, that they even know the answers to life's biggest questions? I doubt it.

The lack of knowledge allows the quest and thirst for more knowledge.

With that in mind, there always has to be a lack of it in order to advance intelluctually.

Originally posted by Nostradumbass
Well honestly if one,the biggest question, cant be answered, can any question really be answered as a fact....or can it all a figment of our imagination and what we are lead to believe?

Well, that is somewhat what I tried to say.

Since the "biggest" questions (which I have stated previous times in other posts) can't be answered by any means of real understanding, you think everything else is a figment?

That is where such a logical fallacy comes into place. Everything "BUT" the before mentioned can be solved.

It is not that I finally understand everything. It is just that I finally understand that we will never know everything. NEVER.

Religious followers claim an intelligent designer, but the question still exists, where did he come from? Or do you just accept that - which is a logical fallacy in itself?

[edit on 4-8-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by postmeme
*deciphering code ring power on!*

Ok basically I think OP is saying:

Meaning of Life, Philosophy, all the big important questions etc are all unanswerable or unprovable using logic or facts or whatever.

This property is perhaps inbuilt into our very existence. Hence we will never be able to answer the questions logically.

I think he equates Illogic with Faith, hence he answers an illogical question with an illogical answer, i.e all questions are really based in faith regardless you are an athiest or thiest.

Edit:

Oh and I think his answer is "Everything just is"

[edit on 4-8-2009 by postmeme]

Nice to know some people can understand it

I wouldn't say all questions are based on faith, only the ones you listed.

We all have a distinguishable faith compared to each other, and if all the important questions are based on faith, why can't we just ignore something that we will never agree on and just try to live morally right (to the best of our extent).

top topics

join