It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't want a PassPort with RFID, help me!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I am in the process of applying for a port pass (aka. 'Passport'), and have learned that all Australian passports now come with a built-in RFID tag/chip.
To put it simply, I don't want to carry an RFID tag around with me.
All reasons for not wanting an RFID tag aside, is there anybody here that has had experience in applying for a passport WITHOUT an RFID chip in it? I checked with the 'civil liberties unions' in Australia, and they are just about as useless as tits on a bull.
It's really sad when organisations claiming to stand up for privacy rights and civil liberties, know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the RFID chips in our passports.

I'm sick of this country... crap like this just makes me consider declaring sovereignty more and more every day.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'd be interested in finding some legal course of action that I can take to take back some of my liberties and legally refuse to carry an RFID chip when I travel overseas.

[edit on 3/8/2009 by nrky]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
star, and flag. I think more people should consider this, but that's their problem.

Um, I was forewarned, and got my new passport early; just before the chipping.

You can look online, and there are passport, and Driver license 'wallets' that are lined with metal to block any extra 'quick scanning'. Just put the above in the search engine, and you should get a hit; because it is booming from what I hear.

You should get a 'wallet' for your passport any ways. I get harassed all the time because I use mine a lot. It is worn, and 'tired'.........so they always give me crap.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Props to you. I've been fighting against the RFID and the tracking of people since long.
It's not an easy struggle, everytime I need to deal with the pharmacy, pick up an order from the post-office I need to show ID and I haven't re-issued mines since 2006.
The postoffice representatives makes it really hard for anyone not having their ID's even if a customer paid in cash for a internet purchase.

Not sure what I can tell you to help you but this is certain: You're not alone

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nrky

EMP, bro.

Just shock the hell out of it. Or take an electromagnet and fry the RFID chip inside.

Then say, "Who me?
I don't know what went wrong."

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

NO!!!! That was why I suggested one of the metal lined wallets..........they are spendy, but work.

The reason no is if the port does have one of those fancy scanners, and your rfid doesn't work, then they get nasty.....

Notice how I said I get heck for one which is worn, and tired??? I get crap because they know they can literally pull it, detain, and generally mess with me.

They'll know he tampered with it, and all heck will break loose

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by nrky

EMP, bro.

Just shock the hell out of it. Or take an electromagnet and fry the RFID chip inside.

Then say, "Who me?
I don't know what went wrong."

Good luck.

That was the first thing that I considered... I wonder if there's any way for them to detect whether or not a chipped passport has been nuked, because if they find out that you have nuked your PP, you're actually damaging government property and are liable for penalties.

In response to Skittle's post: In Melbourne, where I live, more and more companies are expecting you to provide ID for 'security purposes'. The pool hall where I play, asks you to leave your licence at the counter... I've been considering asking the manager if I could leave something else there as security, because I don't want to hand over my ID to anybody. (Besides the fact that I shouldn't need to identify myself with the corporation that has a name exactly the same as mine, but in upper-case, just so I can play billiards ffs).

EDIT to avoid double-post: The first reason that I don't want an RFID passport is because I never voted for one, and I believe that it is a grose violation of my civil liberties to be FORCED to have one in order to travel overseas. The second reason I don't want an RFID passport, is because they are easier to hack than a mainframe using a commodore 64 as a firewall. I don't want the identity of my corporation stolen, because then I'll have to explain away the liability for whatever happens on it's behalf. (ie. if someone takes 'my' identity and sells it to someone who screws around with it, I have to fix it) The third reason is that if we stop the RFID scam NOW, it's going to delay the inevitable step in the totalitarian tiptoe (which is a micro-chipped population).

[edit on 3/8/2009 by nrky]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

My bad. Please disregard.

How about reprogramming it?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I really want to learn how to disable an RFID chip myself. I will not be tracked like that. First...where would I get an electromagnet? second...what would do the most damage to it but could easily be passed of as accidental. You wouldn't accidentally put your wallet in the microwave with last nights pizza now would you? But you might run it thru the wash and dryer accidentally, or set it by a normal magnet or speaker...you might drop a weight on it. What do you think? I feel like we're losing alot of freedoms here in the USA but it sounds like our mates in Australia have it much worse.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Three things came to mind, 1. can you put a passport in the microwave to disable the rfid? 2. can you just take the rfid out. 3. Lets say you do remove the rfid chip, is that illegal? will you get in trouble for taking it out? Tac out

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
On a humourous note: If I built a tinfoil hat for my passport, I wonder if that would stop it from being scanned/hacked/phished.

P.S If you don't know where I'm coming from in regards to the concerns about the security of the RFID chips, check out the website www.rfidiot.org , it'll answer all your questions.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
My new boarder pass (passport)comes in 2 weeks from now. I will enclose it in a metal container of some sort to keep hackers out. My atm card has a chip, hate that thingy too. I thought of microwaving it and play dumb blonde if asked hehe.

As a Canadian who enjoyed driving across to Michigan without strings attached for so many years I feel the US hates me now.

Had a US border patrols officer once say he can't wait till he can enforce the passport rule. It just reinforces me to stay far away from there.

We live so close but are so different.

Rhain

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
You can easily EMP the thing. You know the areas at checkout where they usually have signs stating "do not place wallets or credit cards here"? That is a degausing machine. It is used to demag the security tags inside of items at the store that set off the shoplifting sensors. Just set your passport there and place something with a security tag on top. You should here a "thunk" sound. At that point, your passport will have been hit with a sizable em field. Dunno if it will take more than one try, though.

You can also buy a degauser at places like Radio Shack, but I am not sure it is worth the expense. You can try the microwave, but I wouldn't recommend more than 1-2 seconds due to fire hazard.

Finally, you might consider just using an exacto knife and removing the chip, although it would likely be obvious that you did that.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
UPDATE:

I just called the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (www.passports.gov.au...), on 131 232 (australian number), and spoke to a staff member called "Christine" (or Christina?), who claimed that I can simply get a passport application form from the post office, fill in the form, and state that I wish to have a passport without the e-passport tag embedded into it.
So it looks as though we still have a choice, but I wonder for how long?
When I queried Christina's sources of this information, she said that they have no press releases nor website pages about the fact that the electronic tagging is OPTIONAL. It is simply the default setting and you can opt-out.

Next step, informing as many people as I can. ^_^

new topics

top topics

join