It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol: The Devil’s Drink? Do you partake in this activity? And why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Interesting topic, I detect a slight underscore of religious holyer then thou art

"slight?" hmmm/???

That's a balanced thang, right?

OT

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I can drink like a fish, but I have never been more than a social drinker really.

Been drunk many times in my youth, but it was never really my thing. Just did it more often in my youth because I was out doing social things all the time.

If I drink, it'll be like I'm at some place for lunch/dinner and doing saki bombs. I might grab a beer or 2 at a ballgame.

Last drink I had was nearly 2 years ago. Just don't want it. Wish I could say the same thing about cigarettes.

I generally think most things are ok in moderation. It's just when something like that becomes a driving force in your life that they become bad(including being drunk in itself). Such as my cigs - probably no big deal if I had only 1 a day.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well while we are talking about booze beer was famously (indirectly) instrumental to the understand of cholera - thus saving many people!

How you may ask? Well in London back when people got their water from the old hand pumps from a well a near by sewer had cracked and was contaminating the water supply - there was an outbreak of cholera.

Now back then they really didn't know how you caught this illness - some thought it to be the air, some the food, God was probably throwen in there as well
- but one bright spark catalogued every case and realised that no body who worked at the local brewery had got ill... Why? Because they could drink the ale, or they could drink a sorta barley mash from the brewing process.

Of course brewing requires you to raise the temperature of the liquid and hold it there - thus killing off any bacteria... Our clever doctor put 2 and 2 together and came up with the fact that cholera was water borne... not only that he personally identified the exact source of the bad water and had the lever of that hand pump removed.

Medical history advanced all due to the ale! All hail the Ale!

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I generally think most things are ok in moderation. ............

badmedia, sorry I missed your post.....just wanted you to know, I agree, moderation is the savior, here!

OT

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
... Our clever doctor put 2 and 2 together and came up with the fact that cholera was water borne... not only that he personally identified the exact source of the bad water and had the lever of that hand pump removed.

Medical history advanced all due to the ale! All hail the Ale!

Now_Then, what a great thing, huh?

Was it an accident? Or maybe someONE orchestrated it?

OT

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join