It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol: The Devil’s Drink? Do you partake in this activity? And why?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
reply to post by Silverse

some peope lile to apply purpose to everything that exists. inebriation exists, so to what purpose does it?

I dunno? what do you think?

OT

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezwaxes

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area which has been described as a drinking town with a football problem. ...

Maybe that's the STEELERS secret...hahaha!

OT

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Ah, I'm doing fine...

Appreciate you asking and the response...

OT

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
well i believe i am an alcoholic. i drink 10-12 beers every night and have kept this up for at least a year. i drink to catch a buzz and it helps me sleep. there is nothing more to it than that

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Great Topic OT! I am glad you asked for some stories!

Up untill the last.....year and a half, I have not been a very smart drinker. By that I mean I would drink in excess regardless of the consiquences.

I have been a HUGE fan of the radio show Loveline. When I turned 21, for almost a solid yr, every night (5nights a week) the radio show was on. I would be at the beer store right before the show started. I would buy 2-3 40s and hit the country back roads and cruise or find a quite spot to park and consume the gallon of malt with in the 2hrs of the show. My usuall spot to wake up was in my drive way, engine still running, door open with one leg out. (I am not very proud of the part of my life btw)

The first weekend home after my second deployment, My wife and I partied at a friends house. After ALL the beer was consumed, I began draining the bottles of wine.

(after I got home from my second tour, this happened to me evertime I got loaded...>) I got real emotional and pissed off, I left the party and at about 3am...ripped my shirt off while I was running....jogging down the roads of the Fthoods housing streets. Some MP's stopped me and asked me what I was doing. I gave them the anweser like they were crazy for asking.."...I am running!" I may have been bare foot also, I do not remember but I know I was not in the normal 'jogging' atire. They just looked at me for a second and continued on their way.
Once I got ran out the rage that came from nowhere, I returned to the party and continued drinking. I have small picture memories of ending up making out with one of my wifes friends in the hot tub, my wife seeing and then I was at home, alone on the couch. I was out of the dog house within 24hrs....

Any who, there is pages and pages of stories where I drank too much and did something stupid. I was not a very responsible drinker....but I think I am getting the hang of it!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
well i believe i am an alcoholic. i drink 10-12 beers every night and have kept this up for at least a year. i drink to catch a buzz and it helps me sleep. there is nothing more to it than that

Ya, I would say that is a problem. Depending on your age, I think there is a good majority of people who went through a drinking phase.

I remember when I use to have a kegerator, I would just come home and drink because there was beer on tap right next to the tv, and what else was there to do. I was 22 and not a care in the world.

But at some point your body just can't take it anymore and will start shutting down. It will happen. If its just a phase, then have fun. But when you start waking up and wondering when your next drink will be, then you need to have a serious talk with yourself.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Maybe it's not the Devil's drink, but it's doing some very good work in his behalf, if you ask me.

Originally posted by mikerussellus
It doesn't make me smarter, but it may make the people I talk to, less stupid.

For example, this may sound funny (actually it IS, lol) but it's exactly what often happens to me: maybe it's just the area where i live, something in the water perhaps, but in order to see some people to sound at least normal, sometimes you need to drink MUCH, but i mean VERY much.

In my opinion, alcohol effects are depending on the person drinking it:
the effect that it has to me is not always very nice: yes, i like that buzz, but after the peak everything gets bad and fun ceases, replaced by confusion and tiredness.
But everything changes when it comes to wine: in my region theres a very ancient culture of the wine, basically it is not considered alcohol, it is not something that you drink in order to get stoned (despite yes, it stones you if you drink enough, we are aware of this):
we are used to sit and chat in front of some glass of wine, we like to talk about what we are drinking, wine is the result of a very hard, complex and difficult work, and when it comes out good, the guy who made it shares it very proudly. It is NOT easy to make some good wine: often it doesn't even depend on your skills, but it's a matter of climate, soil, orientation of the vineyard and needless to say, of quality of the grapevine. But all this is something closer to some ritual, it's not just drinking to have some fun. I bet that everyone can share similar stories about whisky, rhum, beer etc... from his/her region/country. I know it's a little off topic, but it was needed in order to share the difference of the wine from anything else here.

Now the BAD facet:
some months ago, i was driving back and came accross a car crash: there were three guys, about 20 Y.O., which bodies were litterally devastated.
They weren't drunk: the guy who hit them with his car was. I will NEVER forget what i saw, it has been one of the saddest things i've ever seen, maybe the worse at all.
Alcohol+driving is something that should punished with some dozen years of jail, regardless the damage that one does, doesn't matter whether you crash or you don't.
To drive while drunk is like to shot randomly with some machine gun in some populated square, i don't see any difference between the two.
In this sense, yes, i think that it's the Devil's drink and it works very well. I've also always been wondering about Marriage at Cana's "miracle": problably to convert wine into water would have been better, at least in order to leave to us some clear, not cryptic message.
Thank you for this thread.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I drink so I have an acceptable excuse to grind and grope attractive women

nah seriously it's a great way to meet strangers and talk to them like you've known them for years, it's a great leveller and it makes me very good looking witty and charming!

And the only drink problem I have is when it's gone and I have to decide whether to get off my arse and walk to the shop... Then I have to very deliberately check the time, more than once I have arrived there only to find it's the early hours and it's been shut for a couple of hours!

Also it can be quite amusing to go back and re read my posts from the night before

Worst life changing things I have done whilst drunk? Well that would be 1) the time I spontaneity split up with a good girlfriend because she was making commitment noises and 2) Writing a resignation e-mail, then drinking some more then completely re-writing it filled with loads of little things I was not happy about - and to top it off not sending it to my boss... Oh no, thats not stupid enough... I sent it to head office :bnghd: Man that was a tricky months notice I had to work
They could of let me off with 2 weeks!

Oh the usual waking up with broken ribs, odd bruises, a broken jaw, coming round in the back of an ambulance when they found me beaten unconscious in a bus stop (still don't remember how that one happened), been beaten to a pulp in the back of a van for 'being a cocky little p***k, waking up in any number of shared houses where I did not know even one person who lived there, waking up in someone's garden, waking up in my garage, waking up to a crazy woman telling me I need to get dressed and out now cos her obsessive ex is banging on the windows! Waking up in a room where I hadn't lived for about 2 months (good job no one else had moved in!), waking up on a bus that had gone all the way back round the route again!!! - stayed out all night on that one!..... Ermm that's all I can think of now...

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
According to the freeonlinedictionary.com the definition of SPIRIT is: An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb. An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

And another definition is: A supernatural being, as: an angel or a demon inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.

The reason they're called "spirits" is because during the distillation process the fermented liquid is heated up to 78.3 degrees celcius, this is the temperature that alcohol boils at. The vapours then rise in the still from the fermented liquid (like a spirit would from a body ...) and hit the top of the still, cool down and condensed into a spirit at a higher strength.

There's no real mystery or conspiracy in it
And I seriously doubt the "devil" has had any hand in the creation of Alcohol. Infact spirits were orginally known as "Aqua Vitae", meaning "Water of Life".

As for why *I* drink it? It's fun! I really love sitting at a pub having great chats with mates while enjoying a good bourbon or cocktail. It's relaxing and really does help stimulate conversation. We don't *need* it to have fun or create conversation, but it just makes it so much more relaxed and everyone chills out. Depending on what you drink. Rum will make you punch things, gin will make you cry, etc.

Alcohol is social lubricant and is fairly important in the community, but there's no denying that it can also destroy lives and ruin peoples' health. But, doesn't that go with everything in life? Take everything in moderation?

I've been a bartender for a few years now and I've seen what it can do to people first hand. Some people depend on it, others use going to the pub as a social thing, a lot of the old blokes are now just in the habit of having a few beers at the pub every day.

Alcohol truly is an amazing and fascinating thing. You can use it to forget your problems or it could create the problems you're going to eventually drink to forget!

Alcohol is great. Im moderation. Remember: A lot of things can be preserved in alcohol, but dignity is not one of them

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Nope, first off what God does with the Jews is for the Jews only, its their laws not ours but Jesus fulfilled the laws and not only for Jews but mankind. But it does not mean non Jews are not allowed to drink it just applied to their cause with their relationship with God.

1 Timothy 5 (New International Version)
23Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

(ALCHOLE IS GOOD FOR STOMACH PROBLEMS AND BUGS).

1 Timothy 4
Instructions to Timothy
1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

... who/what is that in response to??

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

... who/what is that in response to??

Hi, that is the response to the title of the thread, just adding a different view, no one in particular.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Oh man, my mistake. I got mixed up, I thought you were the OP in this

My apologies.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish

10 to 12? Do you weigh 300?

Ever thought of having 3 on an empty stomach? Same effect bro! Good for the liver too!

OT

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Tank2/8

Appreciate your service big boy!

Moderate is the key...

OT

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
...But at some point your body just can't take it anymore and will start shutting down. It will happen. ...

Good point there...

Thx for your thoughts...

OT

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

nah seriously it's a great way to meet strangers and talk to them like you've known them for years, it's a great leveller and it makes me very good looking witty and charming!

.......Also it can be quite amusing to go back and re read my posts from the night before

Leveller, huh? Great way to put it there my friend....

And I loved you line on the day after...posts....

Appreciate your thoughts!

OT

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toy_soldier

Oh man, my mistake. I got mixed up, I thought you were the OP in this

My apologies.

OP here,what's up?

OT

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Interesting topic, I detect a slight underscore of religious holyer then thou art I must say, no problem though to each his own. I drink, as a matter of fact I do it as often as I can, I've run the gambit with it you name it good to bad.

My opinion as it pertains to "the devil's drink" is that ethyl alcohol is completely natural and therefore if one believes in "god" being the creator of all things then naturally it can be assumed that "god" ment for us to learn fermentation and partake.

Alcohol does alter the mind, but ultimatly it is up to the person to determin how much he or she drinks the "devil" in no way controls this we all have free will and that's the bottom line.If one has too much and does something stupid then they have only themselves to blame.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
1 Timothy 5 (New International Version)
23Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

See even in the times of Christ they knew Alcohole based substances were good for cleaning the body of illnesses, I am not sure they understood fully why but that was for man to ater rediscover it. But since Israel got abandonned aroud 100AD it meant local knowledge got lost with it too with stuff like that.

John 2
Jesus Changes Water to Wine
1On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus' mother was there, 2and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."
4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."

5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."

6Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.[a]

7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."

They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.

That is why priests use wine and its not breaking any religious laws, not only that but Wine is good for the heart as a proven fact.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join