It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol: The Devil’s Drink? Do you partake in this activity? And why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am drinking white Bacardi w/ ice, water and a short pour of Tiramisu coffee creamer. sounds odd but it is awesome. Actually almost all the creamer flavors are great. Kinda like a white russian.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am also a musician,. I don't drink when I am working,.. to much need for keepin tempo,..

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I am not going to say whether it is good or bad. That depends on amounts, frequency, and the motivation for drinking, in addition to the effects on the specific individual drinking. That being said, the intoxicants a society chooses to use do affect the social fabric. They are spirits in that sense. Intoxicants alter perspective. I will straight up tell you I enjoy the perspective coming from some quality cannabis (lower quality just zonks me out, and I like an active mind). I do not much like alcohol personally. I can count on one hand the number of times I have had an alcohol buzz. I also believe alcohol and cannabis almost influence opposing ideologies. I think that may have something to do with the hullabaloo about marijuana. All that being said, the intoxicants a society chooses to use, and the moral perspectives it supports, these all affect the spirit of a society. Science has its axioms. Governments have their self-evident truths. Moralities have their core principles. Everything sort of emanates from a core, and intoxicants, like alcohol, cause core changes in consciousness. Alcohol definitely affects the spirit of a society. Just remember, our founding fathers in America were drunk through much of their planning. Just goes to show you one reason the constitution might seek to exploit the warring, competitive tendencies of humans in order to create a social order. Does this not remind one of the feelings when drunk? Being drunk seems to put many on that ritualistic, dominating, submissive, train of thought.

Edit: Alcohol was and has remained a key ingredient in the development of Western civilization. Judaism, Christianity, various philosophies, and various forms of paganism were also key components, along with ritualistic mushroom and cannabis use amongst certain groups. The combination of mind-altering drugs, philosophies, and religions have all interwoven to affect the spirit of the modern day world. They echo across generations in our core programming, in our seemingly natural perspectives.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by orwellianunenlightenment]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
....i follow, but how can a grape thats going off and fermention (of course turning into pure alcohol)....how is that demonic or devilish, we have to ask that question....

natural cycle of life? natural cycle of a grape.

im not a drinker, well only socially in moderation.....

so does alcohol kill brain cells? but hang on, if you want to preserve a brain you would be wise to put it into alcohol (spirit).

maybe we ingest it wrongly...

but a grape, or and fruit fermenting and forming alcohol aint devilish...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm not incredibly fond of drinking personally. I did partake quite a bit as a teenager, but I've always known my limits pretty well.

Over the past 4 years (since I reached legal drinking age), I think I've drank alcohol maybe 5 or 6 times. A couple times I went to the bar with the girls and had 2 or 3 drinks, just enough to make me feel comfortable in a room full of rednecks.

The last time I drank was in April for my 25th birthday. The husband bought a couple bottles of cheap wine. I drank about 3/4 of a bottle and told him I was feeling good and he pressured me to drink more (because he's never seen me fall-down-stupid drunk), so I did.

I ended up passing out on the kitchen table 15 minutes after I drank the rest of the bottle. It ruined his night, obviously.

There is a very thin line for me between feeling good and having too much, since my BMI is barely over 18.

I've never understood it when people say they got so drunk they can't remember what they did the next day. I think they would just rather not remember... but perhaps I'm wrong and they get possessed by the devil... who knows?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Simply put:

I drink because I like to have fun when it is appropriate. I mean why not?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Silverse

some peope lile to apply purpose to everything that exists. inebriation exists, so to what purpose does it?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Honestly alcohol is overrated. I enjoy Dos Equis now and Corona but I don't go overboard. Sometimes I feel like drinking and sometimes I don't it just depends.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I work in a bar and drinking is part of my job in an odd messed up way. I dont drink though when I am not working. I actually very rarely drink when I go out too. I get paid for drinking at my job in a way.
Pros for me would be more money! That is honestly the only pro...oh and my Jagermeister machine

Cons~ not good for my body, makes me text under the influence, drunk dial and IM under the influence.. ALL are really bad to do!

I have been told by everyone I am a funny drunk but I know I get a little too sloshed at times and I am embarrassed but "Spider Paris" is highly entertaining from what I have been told. I am a responsible drunk if that makes sense. I NEVER EVER drive. I dont care if I am sobered up, I still dont drive. I always take a cab home. I get teased for leaving my car at work most of the week but I will NOT put someone else's life in jeopardy because I need to get home with my car. I would rather walk or pay 20 bucks for a cab than get in an accident or end up in jail . I know too many people who have died from DD and who have hurt or killed others while driving and I dont want that on my conscience.

As for the effects it depends on what I drink. I usually stick to jager bombs since everything else makes me sick and I get hangovers. I also know when enough is enough unlike most people. I dont drink to get drunk, its more of the social environment of my job which sometimes leads to being really intoxicated.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I rarely ever drink except on new years and my birthday. Only thing alcohal does for me is make me less shy so I can talk to people. Mostly I always end up puking at the end of the night. And its not fun. And I always feel crappy the day after. Which is why I rarely drink.

I know others my age who will drink and go to partys at least 5 days out of the week. I dont understand it. I definetly couldnt do it.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I grew up in the Pittsburgh area which has been described as a drinking town with a football problem. -Still have the football problem but put the booze down. Really just got tired of it. Wasn't feeling too hot several years ago and figured I'd try to eat a little better and drop the crap like alcohol. Decided after a couple months that I didn't miss it at all so I might as well save the money. I'll have a few about once a year.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I always thought that Jesus-is-savior site was a joke, making fun of extreme fundamentalist.

The site always seemed way to ridiculous to me to actually be real.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I love drinking.
It is my favourite past time and I'm very good at it.
I like it that much I got me my own pub.!

I'm a happy drunk and have great fun whilst drinking.

I don't like miserable or violent drunks.

I don't trust people who don't drink.
If someone doesn't drink for health reasons then fair do's.
If someone doesn't drink for religous reasons, very strange indeed, but fair do's. (Especially if they are Christian??? Water into Wine at Cannaa and all that).
But if someone doesn't drink because 'they don't like the taste' or 'it just doesn't appeal to me' or something pathetically similar has plain got something to hide and are scared of having a drink, letting their guard down and spilling the beans.
Or they've got an angle and are waiting to get you off guard and exploit your weaknesses.
Sneaky!

I don't think you can truly no anyone until you have been completely plastered, bolloxed drunk with each other.
That's when you find out what makes each other tick and what you have in common, as long as you can remember once you wake up after the session.

Drinking is a fantastic pastime and I have had many, many fantastic experiences thanks to it, (and very, very few bad one's) and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to live a full and exciting life.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Drinking has shown me some of the brightest and almost all of the darkest days of my life, and I'm only twenty five.

Two years ago, I went through some really bad life changes and my drinking became the only reason I existed. I would get done with classes, do a workout, and then drink for no less than 6 hours. It was pretty much like this consistently until about may of this year. Was I addicted? No, that's being weak and not owning my mistakes. It was habitual and all I wanted to do. But you do need to move on in life.

Am I afraid to fall back into old habits? Hell yes, that's why I fill my days with so much work that I can't possibly partake the way I used to. Do I still get sloshed once or twice a week? Again, hell yeah.. I'm twenty five and some of my fondest memories with the people I love are because we were having so much fun on the sauce.

Alcohol has taken quite a bit from me. More than I can imagine losing my fiance and my job, getting a DUI and letting me find some truly awful people to be friends with. But I promise you all, at the end of my life, I will have taken more from alcohol than it will ever from me.

Name of the game? Don't make it too consistent. I am not one to talk about moderation in any other sense but frequency. I guess I just don't see the fun in getting "buzzed."

By the time I'm 30, I'm sure my consumption will be limited to a pitcher of beer on a friday happy hour a week, but for now, I'm young and have a few more (fun) mistakes to make.

Oh, and PS: I'm a vocal teacher. I've seen the physical relaxation that alcohol can provide first hand. I have registered myself as having almost a half-octave higher range when over the legal limit. Now, I don't recommend this, but I always have a couple drinks before hitting the stage.. It takes me from being an innocuous frontman to a true sight to behold. haha.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

OT hows things?

I do drink at times myself and as a christian I understand that this is a sin.

The reason I drink is because I enjoy it on special occasions.

The reason that I continue to drink despite being a christian..

John 3:16

Also if you read the bible it even states that shaving is a sin. We recieved a list of commandments that we are to try our best to keep and not a list of what sin is worse than another.

Therefore everyone should try there best but we all fall short in some areas.

Again go back to John 3:16 in the bible if you ever wonder after accepting the saviors gift.

Just my opinion.

Heck, even eating meat is a punishment from god for what man did, now if thats gods punishment that says it all when it comes to how much we are loved. So many people seem to have this idea that god does not give a damn about people on this earth but if they really think about it we are extremely well treated given the circumstances. Death is painful of course but what is death compared to eternity?

When it comes to the devil, its everywhere and I know of nobody that is not partaking in that trap because every human being falls short from the start. No matter how holy a person you think you are, you are part of the family after all if that makes sense.

Life is after all, a quest of knowledge that is only ever going to be given through experiences in life itself be it good or bad.

Spirituality aside though, I find that drinking alcohol lowers my minds ability to think, I think a lot and I enjoy some peace from my own mind at times

I mean, sitting on a beach in the hot sun, appreciating the ocean waves and view, while having a pina colada is not exactly evil is it?

There is plenty more worse things in the world in my own opinion and if you need to be ready for them then drinking becomes an impairment of course.

Good question though.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
When I was with a briefly-popular punk band in the 80's, I drank more than I ate. I would get pretty much trashed every night, sleep briefly, if at all, and then do it all over again. I'm really glad that officious little [sharp jab] fired me from the band; it was the start of the good part of my life.......... well, at least it was on the road to it.

I drink because I like the way it feels. Neither m'Bride or I drink to the point of drunkenness. No particular judgement, just don't like being out of control. If we take a 10-mile ride on our tandem trike on Saturdays, we'll pack a picnic and a liter or so of adult beverage, along with water. Just enhances the times, and I suppose we laugh even more than our usual cackling.

Last year, both of us thought that our drinking was hurting our ability to quit smoking, so we both stopped drinking for a couple of months, and within that time, both of us stopped smoking. I've been smoking cigs since I was 15 -- over 35 years. I can't honestly say that I feel an immense more lung ability, however my slightly elevated blood-pressure is now down to 120/75. Even now, sitting in front of the computer, as soon as I have a cocktail, I feel the distant pull of a cig unsmoked. I can resist it now, as I know I'm not a taper-offer, I'm an all-or-nothing.

I have rules for myself regarding drinking, and occasionally delight in breaking them. I'm forced to grow older, not grow up. I don't normally drink until the work is finished (unless concrete pouring is involved, in which case it's mandatory to have cold beer); I don't drink before noon, even on weekends (unless a mimosa is waved in front of me); I won't drink and drive (this one is absolute. Been there, done that. Fortunately, nobody was killed or injured. Will NOT drink and drive.)

Short answer? (yes please, for the love of GOD!!!!) I drink because it feels good.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The consumption of alcohol is part of many cultures around the world. I use to live with some Russians, and boy could they drink. They said if we opened a bottle of vodka at dinner, it was tradition to finish it. I did not like that tradition.

Even indigenous tribes in the Amazon make their own alcohol. People drink for many reasons. Some to celebrate, some to mourn, some because their bored. The most important thing is to know your limits. Unfortunately it will take a couple times with your head in a toilet to find your limits. But that should come with age.

Alcohol is also a drug. Its not good for anyone with a addictive personality. Personally after a few day drinking binge, I usually want nothing to do with alcohol for a while. But I have had many friends ruin their lives because of alcohol.

The best advice I can give is alcohol can be a lot of fun, but be careful it can take over your life.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
Don't know about the devil. Short story. . .

Just got an apartment. The padre at my church (a franciscan monk) was going to come by and bless it. When he showed up, he pulled a twelve pack of bud out of the sack and said, "Why waste good holy water for the likes of you?"

That man was my best friend for years!!!

-God bless the Irish!-

That is a wonderful story!

Thank you for it,

OT

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloakndagger
Alcohol ruined my life. It might open up oneself for demon possession. I know I did things I would not normally do while intoxicated. Like wrecking 6 vehicles and having 2 DUI's. Stealing beer after hours(petty larceny). Drunk in public.

Alcohol is bad news. I wonder sometimes what my life would have been like without having never touched the stuff. My advice to everyone is just don't do it. Some can handle a beer with pizza or wine with food but then you have people like me that can not just have one.

possession? whew...

please share more, ok?

OT

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by orwellianunenlightenment
...... Just remember, our founding fathers in America were drunk through much of their planning. Just goes to show you one reason the constitution might seek to exploit the warring, competitive tendencies of humans in order to create a social order. ....

???

I guess "Ben Franklin" might be a good beer name....

Where'd you get this info?

OT

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join