It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol: The Devil’s Drink? Do you partake in this activity? And why?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
According to the freeonlinedictionary.com the definition of SPIRIT is: An alcohol solution of an essential or volatile substance. Often used in the plural with a singular verb. An alcoholic beverage, especially distilled liquor.

And another definition is: A supernatural being, as: an angel or a demon inhabiting or embodying a particular place, object, or natural phenomenon.

Which one is it? Or is it both? Is there something “spiritual” going on with folks partake? Is it bad?

Please tell OT you positive and negative stories revolving around the consumption of alcohol? Are you smarter when you drink? Any revelations after drinking? Or is it just negative, lesson learned?

Are you being subtlety duped by the devil when you drink?

Why did the Apostle Paul allow it, but not in excess? See his message to the Church of Ephesus where he said…”And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit.”

And if it’s so bad why was it Jesus’ first miracle in John 2:7-11…” 7Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.
8Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet."
They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."
11This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him.”

And what about this website: Are they speaking for God? See… www.jesus-is-savior.com...

Here’s an excerpt…

Fermentation is the process by which leaven becomes intoxicating wine. The term "mixed wine" in the Old Testament refers to intoxicating alcohol. Sugars or other drugs were added to the juice concoction to create booze. The Word of God condemns drinking such mixed wines which contain alcohol. The Word of God goes to great lengths to avoid any misunderstanding concerning the use of juice in the Lord's Supper, using the term "cup" instead of "wine"... "After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me" (1st Corinthians 11:25). Leaven was strictly forbidden in the Jewish diet. It was a ceremonial law given to Old Testament Israel. Since leaven pictured corruption, God used it as a constant reminder to Israel that they were to be sanctified unto the Lord. Intoxicants are condemned in the Word of God. Booze has well earned the nickname, "Liquid Devil."

Hey guys, what are your thoughts?

OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I drink to get drunk....

It's an intoxicant. There's no logic involved.

I've had amazing times with alcohol and terrible times.

Some of the very best sex in my life whilst drunk, some of the worst hang overs the day after.... It gives me the confidence to dance like a loon in front of complete strangers and also can inspire me with my music etc.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
I drink to get drunk....

It's an intoxicant. There's no logic involved.

mr-lizard, Hey, hope you are well. Thanks for being first on OT's latest...makes sense to me.

Others, no logic? You agree...???

OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Sorry, I missed the edit...dance like a "loon"...funny!

Moon-walking OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I drink to relieve muscle spasms in my back or if I think I have been exposed to a cold or flu virus. A friend was part of a medical study that showed blood alcohol will kill a virus during the first 24 hrs after exposure. I also use it in cooking (wine) but the heat drives off the alcohol.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
George Burns said it best. "It only takes one drink to get me drunk. I just can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth."

I'm too damn old to get trashed anymore. But I do enjoy a single malted scotch from time to time.

It doesn't make me smarter, but it may make the people I talk to, less stupid.

-cheers-

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i think what Paul was trying to say was "be moderate". too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

and to answer the question: hell yes.

i drink occasionally. and just that. only for certain occasions, or when there is cause to celebrate. and only socially, never alone. otherwise i stay away from the stuff. it can ruin you if you let it.

back in the day i drank like a fish. wouldn't suggest it.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
the biggest realization i ever made while drunk was...if you turn off all the lights and hide under the covers you can get your brain to stop spinning long enough to fall asleep.

i've had my fair share of drinks, and i partake from time to time, but to be honest i don't really care for the taste or the effects.

i DO like red wine though...the taste, not the drunk.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by double_frick]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This website says "its the devil!" www.jesus-is-savior.com...

You believe them?

Excerpt....

Did Jesus Turn Water Into Alcoholic Wine?

No! Some people allege that Jesus turned water into alcoholic wine; but nothing could be further from the truth. I think Pastor J. Vernon McGee says it best ...

"There has always been a controversy about the "wine" in the New Testament being an intoxicant. It is my firm conviction that the Lord Jesus did not make an intoxicating drink at the wedding in Cana of Galilee (see John 2). Anyone who attempts to make of Him a bootlegger is ridiculous and is doing absolutely an injustice. Folk like to present the argument that in the warm climate of Israel all one had to do was to put grape juice in a wine skin and in time it would ferment. Yes, but in the miracle at Cana, the Lord Jesus started out with water, and in the matter of a few seconds He had "wine." My friend, it didn’t have a chance to ferment. And we must remember that the wedding in Cana was a religious service, and everything that had to do with leaven (which is fermentation) was forbidden. This is the reason that at the time of the Passover and the institution of the Lord’s Supper the wine could not have been fermented. Fermentation is the working of leaven, and leaven was strictly forbidden in bread and in everything else. The bread and drink could not have been leavened. Intoxicants are condemned in the Word of God, and here is a verse for it: "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

Today many folk are being trapped by this type of thing. America is becoming a nation of drunkards. I am not impressed when the news media lets us know the tremendous amount of taxes that comes from the liquor industry. What they forget to tell is the cost of the hospitals, the mental institutions and the accidents—the people who have been maimed for life—as a result of drinking drivers. That kind of cost is not reported. I understand that any derogatory news is suppressed because one of the biggest advertisers is the booze industry. We hear about how bad drug abuse is today; but remember, alcohol is a drug!

A law enforcement officer told me that at the beginning of the drug craze the liquor interests helped to fight the drug traffic, because they were afraid it would hurt their business. They would much rather have a kid become a drunkard addicted to alcohol than to have him become a drug addict. That is really generous and big-hearted of the liquor industry, don’t you agree? However, young people began making comparisons. I have had young folk in youth groups tell me they don’t feel they should be reprimanded for smoking marijuana by a crowd that sits around drinking cocktails. And I agree with the young folk. Let the adults stop drinking liquor before they talk to our young people about the evils of marijuana. The hypocrisy of those outside the church is lots worse than the hypocrisy inside the church!

Drunkenness was the undoing of Noah, and it has been a problem from that day to the present hour. Alcohol is valuable for medicinal purposes, but the minute it is used as a beverage it becomes dangerous. The number of alcoholics is increasing every year. It is one of the greatest tax burdens we have to bear. But you don’t learn of that through the news media. In fact, it is dangerous to lift your head against this hydra-headed monster. I predict that it will not be missiles but liquor that will destroy our nation." -Pastor J. Vernon McGee (SOURCE: THRU THE BIBLE WITH J. VERNON McGee, Proverb 20:1).

Jesus fully knew the evils of alcohol. Don't you tell me that Jesus didn't see the broken families, the drunkard fathers, the battered wives, the neglected children--all because of alcohol. The world hasn't changed that much in 2,000 years. In fact, alcohol was a problem back in Genesis, evidenced by Noah's drunkenness (Genesis 9:21). Alcohol has historically been used to induce sexual sins (Genesis 19:31-36). Alcohol is LIQUID DEVIL, because the Devil uses alcohol greatly to destroy people's lives. When a person drinks alcohol, and loses their mind, the Devil takes control.

Those 'fundi's are at it again, huh?

OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I like to drink Captain Morgan strawberry rum with sunny D. I do it for sh!tZ and giggles. The only devil I ever met when I was wasted was one of my ex boyfriends.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

now theres an occasion if i've ever heard one.

well, it's worked for me once or twice.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
I drink to relieve muscle spasms in my back or if I think I have been exposed to a cold or flu virus. ....

Thx crimvelvet, as a powerful anti-biotic...does it work well?

OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
......It doesn't make me smarter, but it may make the people I talk to, less stupid.

-cheers-

Sweet line there mikerussellus!!

OT

So it helps

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Let's remember WHEN the definition for this was written, it was written in a time when they believed in all things that happened were a sign from god or the devil. Now, most of us have evolved since then and we developed science and we can fly into space.... anyway. My reason for alcohol consumption has many reasons. Either to assist a quick sleep or to be social. Need it -no, like it Yes.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Don't know about the devil. Short story. . .

Just got an apartment. The padre at my church (a franciscan monk) was going to come by and bless it. When he showed up, he pulled a twelve pack of bud out of the sack and said, "Why waste good holy water for the likes of you?"

That man was my best friend for years!!!

-God bless the Irish!-

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravykraken
i think what Paul was trying to say was "be moderate". too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

and to answer the question: hell yes.

gravykraken, I agree with the moderation point, well said....

HELL, yeah...are you saying something there?

OT

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Alcohol ruined my life. It might open up oneself for demon possession. I know I did things I would not normally do while intoxicated. Like wrecking 6 vehicles and having 2 DUI's. Stealing beer after hours(petty larceny). Drunk in public.

Alcohol is bad news. I wonder sometimes what my life would have been like without having never touched the stuff. My advice to everyone is just don't do it. Some can handle a beer with pizza or wine with food but then you have people like me that can not just have one.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

2-8 beer, outgoing, clear and consice thoughts, general feeling of fellowship.

anymore beer than that, I either get super funny or super mad, depending on who's around.
to be honest, at this moment, i've afractured ankle because i wouldn't back down when outnumbered.
aka: stupid decisions.

nothin' too spiritual about it for me then, unless you wanna get freudian about it is suppose.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
My days getting drunk are over and I'm only 26! I have a two drink limit, and yes it does make me somewhat smarter as it relaxes me while still giving me the ability to focus. I play the megatouch games at the bar. My best scores usually happen after a beer or two.

Overall the reasons are simple: I enjoy the taste, and it's a sociable activity. I can be a bit anti-social or at least reserved without a drink or two in me. Guess it could be said that getting a slight buzz brings the spirit out in me.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
the biggest realization i ever made while drunk was...if you turn off all the lights and hide under the covers you can get your brain to stop spinning long enough to fall asleep.

That will help some, for sure...

OT

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join