It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British stabbing venues closing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Pubs are closing down at a rate of nearly four a day because of poor sales and the effect of the smoking ban, the organisation which represents the industry has warned.

March 05, 2008

Pub closures have soared to a record high – 36 a week – as drinkers choose to buy cut-price alcohol for consumption at home.

8 September 2008

Record six pubs closing every day due to economic downturn

The British Beer & Pub Association says that 39 pubs a week are closing in Britain, a rate 20 times faster than three years ago.

19 Jan 2009
Two village pubs closing every day

Industry analysts have warned that rural communities are being stripped of their lifeblood as thousands of countryside post offices, churches and shops are also closing.

Experts say that while national bar chains such as Wetherspoons are thriving, community and village pubs are being forced into administration and that "popping down to the local" could become a thing of the past in many areas.

21 Feb 2009

UK pubs closing at rate of 52 week

The British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA) has issued a report this week which confirms that 52 pubs are going out of business each week at a cost of 24,000 jobs over the past 12 months.

21st July 2009

And with rising unemployment, pay freezes and diminishing savings rates, perhaps the pub is less appealing when you can buy a bottle of wine or a four-pack of lager in the supermarket for the same price as a glass at your local.

22 July 2009

As it was revealed that 2000 pubs have closed in the last year, non-pub goers said their community would not be the same without the local pub they never went to.

www.thedailymash.co.uk.../

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Pubs are quite central to British culture.
I wonder what could come out of this? Better British music?

In any case I hope football will be the next in line. That useless, sissy sport of hooligans deserve to be extinct.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
Pubs are quite central to British culture.
I wonder what could come out of this? Better British music?

In any case I hope football will be the next in line. That useless, sissy sport of hooligans deserve to be extinct.

Woah not one reply?? Better British music? what does that have to do with pubs closing? Football a useless sissy sport of hooligans?? Awww I think somebody always got picked last for sports.... is that right??

They need to shut down the big chain pubs like Wetherspoons, there is no atmosphere in those places.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
They need to shut down the big chain pubs like Wetherspoons, there is no atmosphere in those places.

I second that. Close the chain pubs, abolish the glossy little bars and stop making smoker/drinkers feeling criminals.

Since the smoking ban, most people face a choice:

Go to the pub, but step outside in the cold every time they want a cig.

Or

stay at home.

sad really... Just another step by the government to dilute everything that is good about the Uk.

Oh and what rattled that posters cage about football?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Agreed.

You know some clubs around here, the bouncers actually charge a pound every time you want to go out for a smoke. Then act like they're doing YOU a favour. Oh so kind....

Whoever decided that chain pubs are good really need to STFU. I used to like going and experiencing NEW foods with my drink. Not going to the same place in a different city eating the same undercooked crap served by some snot nosed punk.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Wow, that really bums me out. I've taken a couple trips accross the pond and the pub culture was absolutely amazing. Some of the nicest people I have ever met were in those smoky, laid-back places. And to that soccer-hating dude a couple posts up: how is british music supposed to get "better" (as if they care about your opinion lolz) if the bands have nowhere to play? If anyone has ever watched a great underground band at a great local bar while drinking some great brews, you know exactly what is being lost. Our communities are failing because of the greedy bastards that cant handle the responsibilities they were given.
Its a tragedy.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by mooseinhisglory]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooseinhisglory
[edit on 3-8-2009 by mooseinhisglory]

The bands can get gigs through the internet. This has nothing to do with bands, it's about the very establishment that most us Brits love: The traditional English pub. Now old banks are being turned into trendy wine bars, old historical pubs are being pushed back as this new trend of yuppy class citizen prefers swanky places.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You Brits aren't alone.

The Public Smoking Bans + Bad Economy have been a fatal combination for all the nightclubs and bars here in your little brother's States too. The town I live in had a new club or bar open every week, but now they have all closed until the chains are the only ones that remain.

I used to go out all the time to have a pint with my mates, but now I just stay home to save some coin and so I can smoke a Kretek while I'm downing a pint of Guiness or what not.

Ironically hard Economic times have been traditionally good for both Pubs and Brew. It sounds like this time round it has been quite the opposite on both sides of the pond when you throw no smoking into the equation.

"No, no smoking in bars now, and soon, no drinking and no talking... In the future, everyone's going to say, "Come down to the library, we'll have a wild time, shall we?" - Eddie Izzard, Dressed to Kill

[edit on 3-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
May i ask what the title to this thread means...

I'm quite offended if the OP refers to pubs being places that people come to get stabbed. That's very insulting to British culture.

Fool.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

May i ask what the title to this thread means...

I'm quite offended if the OP refers to pubs being places that people come to get stabbed. That's very insulting to British culture.

"Stabbing" in this instance means "Working Establishment". It's the British equivalent of saying "Mom & Pop" in America. It's where the real economy and culture is found, not the homogenized chains that pay minimum wages and hire the lowest common denominator and don't rightly care for your business.

Oddly, the use of "Stabbing" to mean "Working Establishment" comes from American slang originally. Americans just stopped using it that way after the Great Depression.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Ok thanks for that, but i've 100% honestly never heard that term.

I'm either getting old or i'm too young.

Forgive my ignorance.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
"Stabbing" in this instance means "Working Establishment". It's the British equivalent of saying "Mom & Pop" in America. It's where the real economy and culture is found, not the homogenized chains that pay minimum wages and hire the lowest common denominator and don't rightly care for your business.

Oddly, the use of "Stabbing" to mean "Working Establishment" comes from American slang originally. Americans just stopped using it that way after the Great Depression.

Well that's a new phrase on me! I was going to ask about the insinuation, but you have explained it there.

In my case I think my local is doing pretty well, it's established enough in the local area - good mix of people and a good management... There is a local banning procedure that all (or most) of the pubs adhere to... You can get banned at the managers discretion and that's usually enough, no one can wear a ban as a 'badge of honor' round here - it wont win you any friends!... after that there is a pub watch ban, you get one of those and your social life goes down the toilet - not sure how perminant it is but it is overseen offically and they work closely with the police.

I know some boozers will be lost forever, once a place closes for any length of time it's never the same... But maybe it's like an evolutionary process - business is business and customers vote with the money!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

You've never heard the phrase "I'll take a stab at it"?

Yeah, when Brits talk about stabbings with a knife they'll say "Shanking" or "Merking".

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There is a concerted effort to change British culture by eliminating the traditional back street boozers and locals.
Why?
Because it is, or was, the primary place where Brits got together and talked about things.
And we all know they don't want us doing that do they as we may start to question what they are doing.
Bliar even stated that he wanted to introduce a more European cafe culture.
And of course the breweries are in on it.
It is far cheaper to run a canning line and less labour intensive than kegging beer and it is cheaper to transport these cans en masse than delivering kegs by dray.
Supermarkets sell alcohol at such cheap prices as their mark up is so little due to the volume they sell.
Pubs can not compete.

So people stay in at night, eat their chinese takeaway, drink their 8 cans of Carling happy on a diet of Emmerdale, X Factor and other inane bollocks and spending next to nothing rather than going to the pub and interacting with their fellow human beings.

Mark my words, it won't be long before the only pubs around will be the eating houses geared for the family meals which are ready made and come specially delivered on the conveyor belt and theme bars.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

You've never heard the phrase "I'll take a stab at it"?

Yes i have.... Just didn't really explore that term too much. Now i know

Thanks

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
good post bringing to light the closing of british pubs .

I am VERY confused about the post title? why have you dubbed them stabbing venues? ... im fairly sure way more people get stabbed on the streets or in peoples houses and not pubs.. its a bit unfair to label them stabbing venues? it sets a strange president... the next time a school gets closed down i hope they use the "stabbing venue closed" headline .

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

See above...
I was confused too...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Forgive my ignorance.

good to see that some of us are still 'denying ignorance'!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm English from mid twentieth century, and have never heard of Shanking or Merking. Stabbing is the common phrase for long enough.
Now we have an OP and a poster both talking about Stabbing venues, of which is not in modern parlance?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
Better British music? what does that have to do with pubs closing?

Hopefully no more of the like of The Tings-tings. Catchy but they're rather inferior when you think about it.

Football a useless sissy sport of hooligans?? Awww I think somebody always got picked last for sports.... is that right??

No. Just not into soccer. I remember that one Latin American female on TV (Peruvian I think) almost crying because her country didn't make into the finals of the World Cup a few years ago (and they're actually inside a bar watching the games). Pathetic.
Even Americans don't do that.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join