It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Vitamin D in Children 'Shocking'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

About 70 percent of U.S. children have low levels of vitamin D, which puts them at higher risk for bone and heart disease, researchers said today.

"We expected the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency would be high, but the magnitude of the problem nationwide was shocking," said Dr. Juhi Kumar of Children's Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center.

Cases of rickets, a bone disease in infants caused by low vitamin D levels, have also been increasing, other research shows.

The new finding, from a nationwide study, adds to growing evidence that children as well as many adults also lack the vitamin.

"Several small studies had found a high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in specific populations of children, but no one had examined this issue nationwide," said study leader Dr. Michal L. Melamed of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University.

The cause? Poor diet and lack of sunshine, the researchers conclude today in the online version of the journal Pediatrics.

Millions of Children

The researchers analyzed data on more than 6,000 children, ages 1 to 21, collected by the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2004.

The researchers found that 9 percent, or 7.6 million children across the country, were vitamin D deficient and another 61 percent, or 50.8 million, were vitamin D insufficient.

Low levels were especially common in girls, African-Americans, Mexican-Americans, the obese, those who drank milk less than once a week, and those who spent more than four hours a day watching TV, playing videogames, or using computers. The deficiency was more common among the older children in the data set, too.

Lighter skin is more efficient at producing vitamin D. So darker-skinned people produce less when exposed to sunlight.

The decline in vitamin D levels in the United States was reported widely a year ago and has been underway for 20 years, Melamed said.

"Kids have more sedentary lifestyles today and are not spending as much time outdoors," Melamed said. "The widespread use of sunscreens, which block UV-B rays, has only compounded the problem."

The body uses UV-B sunlight to convert a form of cholesterol in the skin into vitamin D.

What to Do

Melamed recommends that children should consume more foods rich in vitamin D, such as milk and fish. "But it's very hard to get enough vitamin D from dietary sources alone," she said.

Vitamin D supplementation can help. In the study, children who took vitamin D supplements (400 IU/day) were less likely to be deficient in the vitamin. However, only 4 percent of the study population actually used supplements.

The American Academy of Pediatrics, which recently updated its vitamin D guidelines, now recommends that infants, children, and teens should take 400 IU per day in supplement form.Supplements are especially important for children living in northerly regions where the sun may be too weak to maintain healthy vitamin D levels. Supplements are also critical for infants who are breast-fed, the researchers said in a statement today. Breast milk contains relatively little vitamin D, while formula is fortified with the vitamin.

What else can parents do?"It would good for them to turn off the TV and send their kids outside," Melamed said. "Just 15 to 20 minutes a day should be enough. And unless they burn easily, don't put sunscreen on them until they've been out in the sun for 10 minutes, so they get the good stuff but not sun damage."

Other experts caution that extended exposure to the sun - tanning and burning - increases the risk of deadly skin cancer.

I remember hearing that Vitamin-D helps prevent virus infections, like the flu. Maybe this is why the Flu is hitting kids so hard, particularly the Swine Flu. I remember that about 50 Youth Camps have been shut down in Florida due to Swine Flu this summer. The one I personally work at almost was, but we were able to quarantine the infections.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Reason for this is our for-profit health care system. There is no profit from telling kids to go out and get some sun. Case in point for health care reform. A little common sense would go a long ways to lowering our cost.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I know I was just going to say almost the same thing. Go stand outside for 15 minutes.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I know I was just going to say almost the same thing. Go stand outside for 15 minutes.

Ditto, except I'll add "go stand outside in filtered sunlight (not direct sunlight) for 15 minutes without sunscreen or sunblock."

YMMV depending on your ethnicity and melanin levels. The more pale you are you can decrease that amount of time, the darker you are the more you have to increase that amount of time.

Vitamin D is natural and best of all it's free.

We don't need no stinkin' vitamins!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
That's kind of a lie. You get all the vitamin D you need from sitting near windows and walking outside to your car. Unless you're like, living inside a closet, you get all the sunlight that you need.

Maybe kids are living in closets?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Here's a better idea. Hand them a baseball and a glove and tell them to go play in the real world not live in the virtual one on Their X Box or PS3.
Fresh air is also free for NOW....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This vitamin D issue has nothing to do with sunlight. Typical BS as usual. It has to do with the fact that young children and kids eat like crap nowadays. And the food that they do eat is so highly processed and filled with crap. Even the few dairy products kids eat are so highly pasteurized the Vitamin D that is in them is junk and synthetic anyways. Phosphatase is an enzyme that is critical for use of Vitamin D in the body. Wonder what the test is for pasteurized milk? A negative phosphatase level.

Also more and more kids are shying away from eating red meat, eggs, and other rich sources of vitamin D and other fat soluble vitamins. The medical establishment's fear of cholesterol and animal fat has become so ingrained in parents it's sickening. How many kids eat real butter nowadays? Eggs? Look at the crap that is marketed towards kids for breakfast. Pop tarts, cereal, toaster strudels, waffles etc. Also sugar is known to deplete fat soluble vitamin stores. We all know kids eat tons of sugar.

Parents are up against a multibillion dollar marketing and advertising entity.......they don't have a chance in hell in getting their kids to eat right. You go up against corporate America and you lose.

I've been drinking raw milk for years and it's an amazing food......a whole one at that. One staple my kids will grow up drinking.. The way nature intended.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Exposure time, for optimum vitamin d absorption, varies greatly depending on skin color. Andd simply standing outside fully clothed will not work either.

For a fair skinned lad, 20 minutes of sun exposure while shirtless will do the trick; however, for a dark skinned lad, 1 hour might be the minimum.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I think you're right. I'm probably deficient because I just don't drink milk or eat dairy products very much. And that's my own fault- I just don't like them. I don't really eat cheese at all. I'll drink milk maybe twice a week. It's awful, I'm going to have osteoporosis, but I really hate milk.

Most kids drink soda and juice way more than milk. And when they do drink milk, the vitamin D is added in later, and it's probably not as good as the real stuff, like you said. And they throw in cocoa powder and chocolate syrup and who knows what else, until the milk is no longer milk.

Edit- you totally don't need to be outside in direct sun with no protection to absorb it through sunlight. Just sit near a window and walk outside.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Dietary vitamin d normally accounts for about 10% of daily values. Sunlight is the optimum source.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Unless you're like, living inside a closet, you get all the sunlight that you need.

That seemed to be what the author of the article was insinuating, wasn't it?

In medieval times our youth would cloister themselves in tall towers, or monasteries and nunneries. Now days, our youth cloister themselves in dark chambers so that the sunlight won't distract them from their XBOX 360 Week-long Frag Fest. Ask a kid what the sun is and they'll reply with something that sounds like it came from one of the vampires from Twilight they worship: "You mean that big hurtie thing in the sky?"

Virgins + Vampires + Video Games = V3, the anti-vitamin to Vitamin D3.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Hahaha!!

I mean, I had a conversation with my mom about it. She's a nurse and a midwife and a wealth of information. Basically she said "Windows let in the amount of sunlight you need to be healthy. Going outside without protection is unnecessary and increases the risk of melanoma. But as long as you're in areas with good natural lighting, you're fine."

So let's tell all the kids with V3 syndrome to open up their blinds.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Raven, I said optimum exposure.

In order for Vitamin D synthesis to occur, exposure to UVB light must be maintained, depending on the skin color, for a certain length of time. For some, 20 min is all that's needed for maximum benefits.

A typical window pane(car or house) will block UVB light while letting UVA in, although, some are designed to block both.

It takes being in direct sunlight without protection. No sunblock and minimal clothing. That's the best way.

-Dev

Edit: Sun exposure is, in most cases, only dangerous in excess when burning is allowed. The sun is good, just don't burn.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
this is where the use of Chemtrails revievls it self.

Blocking the sun day after day, plus as metion earlier in the thread, adding sunblock lotion ontop of that, the bodie gets way too little vitamins, and may I also Remind you of Codex coming ... Even LESS vitamins, dont strike any of you as an conspiracy to make us sick and 'turn of the lights' ??

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Talking of milk as a source of vitamin D. I was experimenting with making yogurt. Found out that not all milk are the same. I was surprised to see different results with different brands. Scared the hell out of me.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
That's kind of a lie. You get all the vitamin D you need from sitting near windows and walking outside to your car. Unless you're like, living inside a closet, you get all the sunlight that you need.

alot are

some places its not really safe for kids to be playing outside

even if it is safe

we live in a fear mongering society so parents dont think it is safe out there

and since no parents want to be outside watching the kids, they leave the kids inside to play video games, search the net and watch tv

a house may not be a closet but its close enough

as our technology becomes more and more advanced we spend less and less time outside

maybe we can counter that by developing light bulbs that also emit vitamin d

but thats probably very far down the road

another thing keeping people from getting all the sun they need is everyones afraid of the sun because of all the cancer fear mongering

before civilization we used to live out there 24/7/365

didnt really hear much about cancer from that time period

but now everyones scared theyre going to get cancer cause they spend a couple hours in the sun during the day

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dramey

People in "that time period" didn't live long enough to die from chronic diseases of aging, such as cancer.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

In the winter, it's impossible to produce vitamin D from the sun if you live North of Atlanta (Georgia) because the sun never gets high enough in the sky for its ultraviolet B rays to penetrate the atmosphere.

But, summer time is a great time to stock up on the nutrient.

When the sun's UV-B rays hit the skin, a reaction takes place that enables skin cells to manufacture vitamin D.
If you're fair skinned, going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen,will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin.
Dark-skinned individuals and the elderly also produce less vitamin D, and many folks don't get enough of the nutrient from dietary sources like fatty fish and fortified milk.

Sunshine vitamin D can protect against alot of diseases, including osteoporosis, heart disease, and breast, prostate, and colon cancer. Sunlight has other hidden benefits : like protecting against depression, insomnia, and an overactive immune system.

The sun is not our enemy, it is the reason why we are here. Moderation common sense is always the key.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Logan
reply to post by ravenshadow13

In the winter, it's impossible to produce vitamin D from the sun if you live North of Atlanta (Georgia) because the sun never gets high enough in the sky for its ultraviolet B rays to penetrate the atmosphere.

Good point. The same process is involved when we observe a red sky sunset. As the sun sets and gets lower in the sky, the light has to travel through more atmosphere to reach you. Shorter wavelengths(blue light & UVB, UVC) are scattered more and more as the sun sets, while longer wavelengths(red light & UVA) are able to make it through the thick atmosphere.

Exposure during the winter months would have to be more but I doubt that it's impossible to achieve synthesis. As we know, sunburns are just as possible during the winter. Now, is that from long exposure to UVA or is it just actually from UVB?

During the winter months, it's typically too cold to hang outside. The best thing to do during these frigid times is supplement with vitamin d. Although it is a fat soluble vitamin, studies have repeatedly shown that consistantly high amounts of Vitamin d isn't dagnerous.

Vitamin D and Cancer Mini-Symposium: The Risk of Additional Vitamin D (or lack thereof)

Evidence from clinical trials shows, with a wide margin of confidence, that a prolonged intake of 10,000IU/d of vitamin D3 poses no risk of adverse effects for adults, even if this is added to a rather high physiologic background level of vitamin D.

-Dev

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's quite simple. If you are white, you just need some 20 minutes in the sun exposing your face, chest and arms. Once you get reddish, go inside.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join