It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Earthquake Explorer (GEE) Screenshots Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've been wanting to make a thread for GEE screenshots for a while now, ever since we endured the earthquake swarm at Yellowstone. So I will start by uploading a GEE screenshot of the last 6.0 Mag of this recent 3-quake swarm in BAJA, taken from about 150 to 200 miles away from the epicenter at station TA.124A, located at Organ National Pipe Monument in Ajo, AZ.

If you happen to catch a sizeable earthquake in GEE, please take a screenshot, crop it to a displayable size, and upload/post. Please include the location, date, UTC time, station you are capturing, and the earthquake magnitude as reported by USGS if available. Providing a distance to the epicenter from the station also helps.

By continuing to deposit screenshots of earthquakes taken in GEE, in the long term we will be able to more quickly estimate magnitudes when we see these things, and sometimes even before the USGS reports them (although many times it's just a few minutes ahead, as we witnessed during the Yellowstone swarms.)

I also have a couple of suggestions when taking screens:

1) Resize the GEE window as above to bring the relevant info close in, while still showing the seismogram.

2) Position your cursor over the highest point on the BHZ channel, so that the relevant info is displayed.

Others may have more suggestions, and I'd love to hear them.

Note that GEE displays these seismograms in a microns per second scale which indicates ground velocity. Assessing actual magnitude from just three broadband channels is tricky, depending on station distance from epicenter, ground composition, and other things. But it sure is interesting and challenging!

[edit on Mon Aug 3rd 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

earthquake.usgs.gov...

5.4 revised to 5.1 Magnitude FIJI area 8-7-09. This is the BHZ channel only, as BHE and BHN would not respond.

Station distance from epicenter: approximately 250 to 275 miles. Seeing the S-waves as far as California and Alaska.

[edit on Fri Aug 7th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Lol, trying to get this posted before you get the alert!

Mag unknown yet, but it is the farthest I have seen the scales go of any GEE screenshot I have ever taken, and ESPECIALLY for the BHZ channel!

Soloman Islands area. USGS hasn't posted it yet, but will any second, I'm sure... It probably happened very close to the station is my guess why the scales are over 850 microns/sec. Also the BHZ channel at that station was about 65 or so microns out of calibration at the time of this screenshot, so subtract 65 from 863, and that's around 798. Even so, it is still the farthest I have seen it go...

edit to add:

mag 5.4
station distance to epicenter approx 200 to 225 miles. Wow. I wonder how far that would have pegged if the station were closer. Those quakes in the South Pacific don't play around.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Sat Aug 8th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
7.7 revised to 7.6 Mag Andaman Islands, India 8-10-09

Pretty serious quake here, reaching into the MILLIMETERS per second scale, from the closest station I could get to quick at Chiang Mai, Thailand, about 400 miles from the epicenter. Tsunami watch went into effect.

First time I have even seen millimeters per second in GEE. Peak at 2.24 mm/sec would equal 2,240 microns/sec, which is the usual scale for most other quakes. I can only imagine how far that scale would have gone if the station were a mere 10 or 20 miles from the epicenter. No BHE or BHN channel available, and I got lucky because they shut down the IH.CHTO station moments after I captured this screen.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Mon Aug 10th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
No BHE or BHN channel available, and I got lucky because they shut down the IH.CHTO station moments after I captured this screen.

For your information, some seismic stations are temporarily activated only when big earthquakes occur (how big, that depends on how they were set up).

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Yep, although I think this is not one of those types of stations. The reason I think that is because I am still getting the BHZ channel in GEE now, yet it has gone gray on the map. Usually the data stops for me, or I can't get it all when the station is gray.

Btw, you know of any closer station to that epicenter? Been trying to find one and no luck yet.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
No, sorry, I don't know if there are closer stations as I don't usually monitor that zone of the world. If you have tried adding all seismic network from Station Chooser in GEE and there wasn't any station close to the epicenter of the last big earthquake, then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid.

Closer stations probably do exist, but not on public networks accessible via GEE.

By the way, if a powerful enough earthquake occurs very close to a broadband seismometer (short band ones get easily saturated) you can easily see velocity readings exceeding several mm/s.

[edit on 2009/8/10 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa
No, sorry, I don't know if there are closer stations as I don't usually monitor that zone of the world. If you have tried adding all seismic network from Station Chooser in GEE and there wasn't any station close to the epicenter of the last big earthquake, then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid.

Closer stations probably do exist, but not on public networks accessible via GEE.

By the way, if a powerful enough earthquake occurs very close to a broadband seismometer (short band ones get easily saturated) you can easily see velocity readings exceeding several mm/s.

[edit on 2009/8/10 by Shirakawa]

Ok, thanks. I may have found one a touch closer, but can't bring that up no matter what channel I try. Maybe that's one like you were talking about, and considering it's part of the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center- the very first network in the "add network" dialog box- it may well be auto activated.

You catch any of these 4+ aftershocks in GEE?

Also, I was reading somewhere and apparently readings can get into the centimeters per second on huge quakes with the station very close. I think I saw some seismograms of the great 9.5 Chile quake in 1960 that were measured in cm/sec. USGS calls it the largest earthquake in the world:

Chile
1960 May 22 19:11:14 UTC
Magnitude 9.5

The Largest Earthquake in the World

Chile
Approximately 1,655 killed, 3,000 injured, 2,000,000 homeless, and $550 million damage in southern Chile; tsunami caused 61 deaths, $75 million damage in Hawaii; 138 deaths and $50 million damage in Japan; 32 dead and missing in the Philippines; and $500,000 damage to the west coast of the United States.

Severe damage from shaking occurred in the Valdivia-Puerto Montt area. Most of the casualties and much of the damage was because of large tsunamis which caused damage along the coast of Chile from Lebu to Puerto Aisen and in many areas of the Pacific Ocean. Puerto Saavedra was completely destroyed by waves which reached heights of 11.5 m (38 ft) and carried remains of houses inland as much as 3 km (2 mi). Wave heights of 8 m (26 ft) caused much damage at Corral.

Tsunamis caused 61 deaths and severe damage in Hawaii, mostly at Hilo, where the runup height reached 10.6 m (35 ft). Waves as high as 5.5 m (18 ft) struck northern Honshu about 1 day after the quake, where it destroyed more than 1600 homes and left 185 people dead or missing. Another 32 people were dead or missing in the Philippines after the tsunami hit those islands. Damage also occurred on Easter Island, in the Samoa Islands and in California. One to 1.5 m (3-5 ft) of subsidence occurred along the Chilean coast from the south end of the Arauco Peninsula to Quellon on Chiloe Island. As much of 3 m (10 ft) of uplift occurred on Isla Guafo. Many landslides occurred in the Chilean Lake District from Lago Villarica to Lago Todos los Santos.

On May 24, Volcan Puyehue erupted, sending ash and steam as high as 6,000 m. The eruption continued for several weeks.

This quake was preceded by 4 foreshocks bigger than magnitude 7.0, including a magnitude 7.9 on May 21 that caused severe damage in the Concepcion area. Many aftershocks occurred, with 5 of magnitude 7.0 or greater through Nov 1.

This is the largest earthquake of the 20th Century. The rupture zone is estimated to be about 1000 km long, from Lebu to Puerto Aisen.

Note that the tsunami deaths from outside Chile are included in the 1,655 total. This is still considerably fewer than some estimates which were as high as 5,700. However, Rothe and others state that the initial reports were greatly overestimated. The death toll for this huge earthquake was less than it might have been because it it occurred in the middle of the afternoon, many of the structures had been built to be earthquake-resistant and the series of strong foreshocks had made the population wary. [ 8ae,312,40,307A,327,305A,322,339,303A,92]

Damage in Valdivia
Valdivia suffered catastrophic damage because of its proximity to the epicenter of the massive quake.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Man oh man, that sucka would have probably brought down the whole GEE network and caused my puter to fry!

For some reason I have been having strange gut feelings about a new possible huge quake in Chile, and possibly right along the same rupture points. So I have been monitoring it now for weeks in GEE. That point seems overdue for something big, but that may not coincide with the latest tectonics theories. I dunno, mysterious subject trying to predict quakes.

I don't know if you have seen, but there was apparently some kind breakthrough in earthquake predicting technology back in 2004, in a paper submitted by seismologist Vladmir Keilis-Borok to Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, an international geophysics journal.

www.wired.com...

Predicting the Next Big One
Amit Asaravala Email 01.09.04

Seismologists may soon have the ability to predict earthquakes several months in advance, say a team of researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles.

The group announced Tuesday that it had used a newly developed technique to closely forecast major earthquakes in California and Japan last year, including the magnitude 6.5 tremor that struck Paso Robles, California, in December, and the magnitude 8.3 quake near Hokkaido, Japan, in September.

The team has submitted a paper outlining the technique to Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors, an international geophysics journal.

Seismologist Vladmir Keilis-Borok, who is the lead researcher on the project, called the advancement a "major breakthrough."

"Short-term prediction was considered impossible by many," said Keilis-Borok. "We have built on the work of scientists from all over the world to show that it can be done."

The team's new method differs from existing techniques in that it takes into account the small "chains" of tremors that often occur before a major earthquake.

When a long chain of related earthquakes is discovered in a region, the team analyzes the area's history, in search of various seismic patterns. If other patterns are discovered, the group announces a nine-month forecast.

Although the new method does not yet allow seismologists to pinpoint the exact date and time of future earthquakes, the UCLA researchers say it lets them narrow their forecasts to a range of several months.

For instance, in June 2003, the team predicted that a magnitude 6.4 quake would hit the Central California region within nine months. The 6.5 magnitude Paso Robles quake struck on Dec. 23.

In July 2003, the team made a similar prediction for the northern portion of Japan, saying that a magnitude 7 or greater earthquake would occur sometime in the next nine months. The 8.3 magnitude Hokkaido quake hit on Sept. 25.

In both cases, earthquakes of similar magnitudes had not been detected in the regions for years.

"There is very little chance of coincidence," said Keilis-Borok. "We look for chains as a way to determine short-term precursors. But we also use accepted intermediate-term methods to eliminate alarms from chains that occur by chance."

Although the group is currently researching earthquake patterns in California, Japan and the Middle East, Keilis-Borok said his team had not yet analyzed any information for the region near Bam, Iran, where a magnitude 6.6 earthquake last month killed tens of thousands of people.

Accurate short-term earthquake prediction has long been the holy grail of seismology. However, many researchers have focused their attention on other areas after a number of disappointing results over the past two decades.

I tried to track this down, but it is apparently only accessible to institutional members.

Here is a link on him:

www.ess.ucla.edu...

The area north of Anchorage, Alaska is another place I have been monitoring heavily. While there always seems to be quakes happening out in the Aleutian Islands and beyond, this area is drawing my attention for some reason as a place where another big one might strike. That and offshore west of Oregon and Washington. Where are you primarily monitoring these days? And I am always monitoring H17A and LKWY at Yellowstone, just in case. Those two stations, while continually separately active probably because of the construction, together allow for easy discernment of whether there is a quake or not- if it doesn't show up on both of them at the same time- it's probably nothing to worry about.

Also, the northeast end of the Carribean Plate has been quite active lately, and according to what I have been reading this long string of smaller quakes there could be a precursor to something bigger. So I'm watching that too!

[edit on Tue Aug 11th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I usually monitor a seismometer near my area in Italy, which is broadband and catches all types of seismic waves (even very long ones from strong earthquakes on the other side of the planet. When seismic waves go funky here I know that something big happened somewhere). Then Redoubt (I've been following it since January, and its last lava dome has become very big and could collapse anytime) and Shishaldin seismometers from their respective volcanoes in Alaska. Sometimes I open more seismometers when interesting things happens on other zones of the world (mainly when very big earthquakes happen, or something happens around California or Yellowstone), and that's it.

About the aftershocks of the last strong Andaman Islands earthquake, I can barely see them on GEE, but I can definitely "hear" them when I analyze in detail seismic data from Redoubt volcano (with the seismic waves->sound conversion utility I made), which I monitor in detail the most.

Yes, probably very strong earthquakes could have their velocity measured in cm/s, but the seismometer I think would have to be very close to their epicenter and be of the broadband type (which usually have a high dynamic range, while short band seismometers saturate much earlier).

[edit on 2009/8/11 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here is screenie of this EQ near Chile somewhere:

The USGS at this point is running some 30 to 50 minutes behind realtime in its reporting of some quakes. This one they got to pretty quick, within 7 minutes of me receiving it in GEE.

More info soon I hope.

Edit: Was a 5.3 in Argentina

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Wed Aug 12th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

5.8 revised to 5.6, and then revised up to 5.9, then revised back to 5.6 in the Philippines, except this time the quake was only about 75 miles to the station.

The BHE channel reached 3.61 MILLIMETERS per second, making this the highest I have seen yet on any channel, on any station, on any earthquake in GEE so far. Obviously the close distance to the station plays a major role in ground velocity observed.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

6.7 mag Japan, setting another record for me as far as the highest I have seen on any channel or station yet. This sucka pegged the GEE meters to a whopping 6.25 millimeters per second, and on the BHZ (vertical ground motion) channel no less. The other channels often go higher but I did not capture these. It turns out that the station appears to be located very close to the epicenter, within 50 miles or so, maybe even 25 miles.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Wed Aug 12th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
A Major earthquake 7.0 Mag just hit off the west coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra- scene of the horrible EQ/Tsunami of December 2004 that killed so many people.

This quake is nowhere near as bad, but it happened much closer to the coast, meaning that if a tsunami hits, it will happen very fast and with little warning. No tsunami watch is in effect however.

This station is in Singapore, about 344 miles away from epicenter.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on Sun Aug 16th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This was the 6.3 magnitude 2009-04-06 L'Aquila earthquake from Italy. The epicenter was very close to the seismic station. Units are in nanometers*(10^6) / second (millimeters/second):

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

5.8 Mag Rat Islands, Aleutian Islands, Alaska

earthquake.usgs.gov...

AV.AMKA station is about 75 miles away from epicenter or so.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks TrueAmerican for this thread!!!

I've checked the USGS and IRIS site for almost 1,5 years now on an hourly basis and now i've got this thread to add to my list.
Ever since page 1 of the Yellowstone thread i take notice of the things you report because you seem to be on top of these things aswell...

So a big star and flag for you......

Peace

[edit on 7/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Quite Welcome

This might help some newcomers to the GEE program as to what to expect when they see an event in GEE. I am working on a GEE tips thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Heh, but that one's gonna take a while to finish.

[edit on Wed Oct 7th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
No idea of magnitude - I only downloaded the GEE thing today - still playing with it. But this one came through just a couple of minutes ago.

And another shot a few minutes later:

Sorry for the rotten shots - will do better next time
[edit on 8-10-2009 by tangotemper]

[edit on 8-10-2009 by tangotemper]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
26-event swarm at YS Oct 15, 2009:

[edit on Thu Oct 15th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Here is a screenshot of the 7.4 (revised to 7.2) which just hit New Zealand, making it the largest I have ever captured so far at a whopping 13+ mm/s on one channel.

That's nearing tsunami potential, and I hope everyone is ok.

No tsunami, according to the warning centers. Good. That's a big quake.

[edit on Fri Sep 3rd 2010 by TrueAmerican]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join