It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US will do what it takes to keep Iran from getting nuclear arms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

US will do what it takes to keep Iran from getting nuclear arms

www.google.com

WASHINGTON — The United States will "do what has to be done" to keep Iran from developing nuclear weapons, the White House said Monday, declining to comment on a media report about possible new sanctions.

"We think it's important to do what has to be done in order to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon," starting with "engaging directly" with Tehran, spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters.

Gibbs declined to comment specifically on a New York Times report that a top US official discussed with Israel the possibility of imposing sanctions aimed at starving the Islamic repub
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
MAN!
Can't we get a break?

I mean do we have to pursue this to the bitter end? I'm getting pretty sick and tired about this whole Iran deal. Fire up the Carriers We might just see this whole Deficit spending concerns go by the weigh side as we expand the Empire.

I'm sure Israel is all happy now that Obama gave in to this crap.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The only thing i'm thinking right now is how useless the UN is
Overpaid pieces of nothing!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Now slayer.....

Read what you posted, dude.

" starting with "engaging directly" with Tehran"

Now unless I am complely wrong here, and correct me if I am, that means directly talking to each other.

No third party horse hockey......

A direct sit down with each side sending someone high enough to actuall talk and make decessions.

That part gives me high hopes.....

The "whatever" part it takes i take to mean "all opitions are still on the table".

Please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Obama already say that???

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I wish I could star your statement again.
This is stupid. We have our hands full in Afghanistan.
One disaster at a time please.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I've read it both face value and between the lines. Tehran is not exactly jumping through the hoops on this one you know. We dangle the carrot but they can see the big stick behind our back.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Frankly, anything that is a step in the right direction, is a step in the right direction.

I think a direct talk between the two countries is a worth while event.

Ok, baby steps, but every baby step.....

It also, puts it on Iran....

If they refuse the meeting, then "they" are showing they don't want peace, to even try....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If Iran wants the bomb, there is absolutely nothing we can do to stop them - slow them down a little, but not stop.

The nuclear genie is well and truly out of the bottle, and we are all going to have to deal with that fact one way or another.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon

Frankly, anything that is a step in the right direction, is a step in the right direction.

I think a direct talk between the two countries is a worth while event.

Ok, baby steps, but every baby step.....

It also, puts it on Iran....

If they refuse the meeting, then "they" are showing they don't want peace, to even try....

What usually happens is America pretends it wants to talk, the target coutnry goes for it and engages. The conditions are impossible to agree to and they stop talking, and just like that the US has the cover it needs to attack. We tried everything they will say as they bomb and destroy another country. I would trust the US one iota.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Obama is weak on foreign policy and does not have the "coconuts" to do anything other than "engage directly" with Iran which will show to be a waste of time in the end.

Sanctions through the worthless United Nations will just by Iran more time to develop their bomb. Sanctions have not worked with North Korea and will not work with Iran. In the end Israel will be the one to handle Iran while Obama is running the United States into the ground like an idiot.

The President needs to quit apologizing to the world for what Bush had to do for the protection of the United States since 9/11, "grow a set of nuts" and take care of Iran. I am sick of him and that moron Hillary after only a few months in office.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Sense says...

The President needs to quit apologizing to the world for what Bush had to do for the protection of the United States since 9/11, "grow a set of nuts" and take care of Iran.

Yeah, I'm glad Bush "HAD TO" send 5000 of our soldiers to death...not to mention the death's of innocent women and CHILDREN. I'm GLAD Bush had to put our country into TRILLIONS of debt for an UNCONSTITUTIONAL WAR that ended up not even having the evidence to justify being there in the first place!!!!

If we'd mind our own GD business this crap wouldn't have happend in the first place. Get the hell out of the middle east and let them be.

Freakin neo-cons.....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
monsoon and SLAYER,

Hasn't Iran already agreed to Direct talks with the U.S.?

... if only, on Their terms?

... which both Bush and Barack either refused and/or declined agreeance with. (?)

Whilst direct and Open communications would seem the Best foot forward here, it would seem a near cointoss ... especially with regards Who's court the "ball" currently resides in. (?)

*yet more fear-factoring, if you ask me

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I personally believe that the rhetoric between the two countries is just that. Obama has laid out his plans for Iran way back in the campaign and I have every reason to believe that they are talking and are negotiating.

In the mean time, they are acting as adversaries to make people think that they are still at odds.

Don't be surprised if Obama pulls out an Ace once his numbers are drastically low or prior to his reelection campaign.

IMO, a breakthrough with Iran would garnish a lot of good publicity.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Whilst direct and Open communications would seem the Best foot forward here

Well it worked pretty well for Neville Chamberlain.

The only hope for Iran is internal revolt, and you can rest assured that even under the leadership of a president who sits down to pee, the intelligence services are working hard towards that very end.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I remember back when Iran first started to enrich Uranium. They stated every day that they did not want a nuclear bomb they just wanted the tech for energy.... Everyday I would read the news and see that they were lying. IMO they had way to many enrichment plants to be making the stuff for peaceful energy.

I dont think that the US is gonna do ANYTHING about this. We shouldn't have bee in the middle east in the first place. Now it seems were gonna be there a lot longer. If the US wanted a part in this mess they should have attacked those enrichment plants months if not years ago. What is the point of a sanction, but just a slap on the wrist. We put sanction after sanction on them because we " knew " they were developing secret bombs. We pushed that issue to the back burner and now guess what there gonna build a bomb.

Like I had stated amongst many others we should have never gone over there. We wasted time, money and efforts. SO what happens now?? what is the US gonna do? Probably sit and talk with them and believe there lil fibs. The US should either back off completely or do something about the threat. Not just occupy countries to be security guards and have talks.

Also, what message is the world sending to North Korea? Whats to stop them from doing the same thing Iran did.... NOTHING. They will just take the sanctions and build more bombs and better missiles. Dont get me wrong here.... it would be a different story if they weren't threatening war every day cause a fishing boat floated into there waters.

I could go on and on cause this really kinda pisses me off. It just really sucks to hear that my tax dollars are going to yet another useless cause.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Topsy_Cret]

new topics

top topics

join