It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Overdue Ban On A Dangerous Sweetener

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by digdeep

a single malt with a mixer in it...thats a travesty. you might as well spread nutella on lobster.

ahaha

what a comparison, really made me lol

I just have never been into straight alcohol really even with ice
i need it with a soda and alot of ice

what worries me is the combination with aspartame which changes into formadelhyde combined with alcohol which is ethanol.

scary to think about it

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
Prohibition Round 6....

i don't like prohibition..., people should choose want they want to put in their bodies...the only thing the government should do warn about the dangers..but that is all..they should not ban...

-- If you think is dangerous to you then don't drink it... there is no reason to take away other people's enjoyment..

I don't think this is anything like prohibition, because aspartame is in such a vast array of food now, you have to be pretty conscientious about your health to avoid it. It's like saying that taking fluoride out of drinking water is prohibition.

Just to reiterate, I'm against prohibition of drugs alcohol and anything else we choose to take, but there is no choice about aspartame, and reading every single packet of food to avoid poison is a horrible situation to be in.

If the whole world could be like Italy, where sweetners and flavourings are banned, and fruit and vegetables are pesticide free.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Like it was mentionned earlier, stevia is a great natural alternative for sugar. Its 1o times sweeter than white sugar, but zero calories, and all natural. Even diabetics can eat it.

Stevia can be bought in supermarkets under the name TRUVIA.

FDA approved it too.
www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is a good thread and I agree that aspartame needs to go away.

I've tried a few items with aspartame. For the most part, not knowing they had aspartame in them. The result was first a really bitter after taste in my mouth that would not go away for a long time. Shortly after consuming the aspartame, my stomach became very upset and I got really bad heart burn, felt sick, tired, even heavy....you know that heavy feeling you get when exhausted to the point where your feet weigh 100 lbs?

Sugar is much better for you then that poison !

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Prohibition Round 6....

i don't like prohibition..., people should choose want they want to put in their bodies...the only thing the government should do warn about the dangers..but that is all..they should not ban...

-- If you think is dangerous to you then don't drink it... there is no reason to take away other people's enjoyment..

Aspartame is the methyl ester of Phenylalanine

The problem? Many products do not give you an option of one without this chemical in it. For example? Chewing gum, I love chewing gum. I have looked and looked for a gum that does not have this in it, but all that I have seen has it in it.

So no choice, so no gum. My choice was taken away.

Aspartame is the methyl ester of a phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is in aspartame, equal and nutra sweet. It is

an ingredient of approximately 6,000 consumer foods and beverages sold worldwide, including (but not limited to) diet sodas and other soft drinks, instant breakfasts, breath mints, cereals, chewing gum, cocoa mixes, frozen desserts, gelatin desserts, juices, laxatives, chewable vitamins supplements, milk drinks, pharmaceutical drugs and supplements, shake mixes, tabletop sweeteners, teas, instant coffees, topping mixes, wine coolers and yogurt.

Guess what? Any of you familiar with Monsanto corp? GMO foods? Well here ya go.

In 1985, Monsanto Company bought G.D. Searle—and the aspartame business became a separate Monsanto subsidiary, the NutraSweet Company.
We all know that Monsanto is only out for the good of humans. Right? (sarcasm)

So, if you really want to remove this from your diet, it is almost impossible. It will be labeled on a product as phenylalanine.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.dorway.com...

Aspartame is considered, by many to be one of the most dangerous substance added to our diet. Here is just a few of the symptoms of aspartame poisoning.

Headache, Dizziness, Mood changes, vomiting and nausea, abdominal pain/cramps, visual disturbances and blindness, diarrhea, seizures and convulsions, memory loss, fatigue and weakness, neurological issues such as multiple sclerosis symptoms, rash, sleep disturbance, hives, changes in heart rate, itching, gran mal seizures, numbness and tingling, swelling, changes in activity levels, difficulty breathing, oral sensory changes, change in menstruation, brain cancer, add/adhd, fibromyalgia, migraines.

And that is just SOME of them. www.sweetpoison.com...

Aspartame, Nutra Sweet and Equal, should be banned.

In answer to "how much does it take to be harmful", that depends on the person, some people are HIGHLY allergic to it, others only slightly and may not recognize where their specific symptoms are coming from.

I found out I was allergic to phenylalanine, after I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. My doc had me switch from sugars to aspartame etc. After just a couple of days I was very very very ill.

So remember, if you are trying to remove this from your diet, you will actually be looking for the word Phenylalanine on the product. Otherwise you could still be ingesting the product, only under another name.

Harm None
Peace

Sigh... edited as I did not make clear the first time around... sue me.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by amazed]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My brother was a Navy pilot and was prohibited from eating or drinking anything containing aspartame due to the risk of seizures and vertigo during flights. Obviously the military was aware of the problem.

www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

Scroll about halfway down the page to the section about seizures.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I eat phenylalanine all the time, as a dietary supplement...but besides which, it is one of them amino acids, it'll probably be in every protein-containing food you eat...I am not thinking that the problem with aspartame is the phenylalanine, nope...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed

The problem? Many products do not give you an option of one without this chemical in it. For example? Chewing gum, I love chewing gum. I have looked and looked for a gum that does not have this in it, but all that I have seen has it in it.

You can always enjoy an old time favorite which is Bubblicious. I think it is the only one out there that has no aspartame or sweetener beside good ole sugar and corn syrup

Bubblicious ingredients

And I will be damned to have found out that Hubba Bubba which is loaded with sugar also add aspartame to their gum, that is seriously messed up.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

What about Stevia? I've heard that it's more natural than other sweeteners. It is expensive though.

I stopped drinking diet soda not too long ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

There are plenty of alternatives to it, but it comes down to "Choice" Now should a warning be put on products with it. Yes. So the dopes that do not know can at least make an informed decision, but the decision, should be ours and ours alone. I personally do not drink it, or at least in any significant qty (a diet Pepsi once or twice a month) but Please inform people do not take away their rights.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Prohibition Round 6....

Thats not your normal prohibition.

Take Celebrex for example, the FDA said the same thing you just did. People should have a right to choose.

Celebrex turns your heart muscle to a paper like consistency in certain people and they die of heart failure.

I was having some medical problem a few years back and my Doctor gave me these pain relief samples called Mobix. I took them all thinking I could trust my Doctor and years later I found out it was also a cox2 inhibitor.

It was Celebrex under a different name. Because the FDA said we could have what we wanted but there needed to be warnings about celebrex, so they just made another cox2 inhibitor under a different name with some added chemicals and did not have to have any warning because of this.

The same exact risk but without a warning.

Banning a bad substance is not the same as prohibition. Maybe we should not ban nerve gas or DDT or any other thing that is proven to be really bad for you?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
reply to post by amazed

I eat phenylalanine all the time, as a dietary supplement...but besides which, it is one of them amino acids, it'll probably be in every protein-containing food you eat...I am not thinking that the problem with aspartame is the phenylalanine, nope...

Phenylalanine, is the term you will look for to know if your product has aspartame, nutra sweet, or equal in it.

I did do a pretty quick post so will go back and edit the places where I should have used aspartame etc.

I explained in my previous posting that I am allergic to it, and my doc told me to look for the word phenylalanine on any product that I buy, and told me to go back to sugar, or other forms of sweeteners that does not contain phenylalanine. I will edit my previous posting to make that clear.

Phenylketonuria The genetic disorder phenylketonuria (PKU) is the inability to metabolize phenylalanine. Individuals with this disorder are known as "phenylketonurics" and must abstain from consumption of too much phenylalanine.
Meaning? no nutra sweet, no aspartame and no equal.

A non-food source of phenylalanine is the artificial sweetener aspartame. This compound, sold under the trade names "Equal" and "NutraSweet", is metabolized by the body into several chemical byproducts including phenylalanine. The breakdown problems phenylketonurics have with protein and the attendant build up of phenylalanine in the body

www.umm.edu...

I believe, that aspartame, nutra sweet and equal, have other reasons that they make people sick, ON TOP OF Phenylketonuria.

I hope I made that a bit more clear.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by miss_silver

Originally posted by amazed

You can always enjoy an old time favorite which is Bubblicious. I think it is the only one out there that has no aspartame or sweetener beside good ole sugar and corn syrup

Bubblicious ingredients

And I will be damned to have found out that Hubba Bubba which is loaded with sugar also add aspartame to their gum, that is seriously messed up.

LOL, bubblicious huh? I shall take a look. Though it is definitely not in my arena of "favorite" type of gum, any gum will do.

Harm None
Peace

Oh, after doing more research on bubblicious, I find this. Warnings

* Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

www.gleegum.com...

Found something called "gleegum" though without Phenylalanine. Gotta order it from the internet though as I have never seen this in the stores in my area.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Funny thing actually, most people intake artificial sweeteners to lose weight and reduce fat when in fact they do just the opposite.

When you intake natural sugar, the body releases insulin. Insulin bonds with the sugar and converts it to energy which the body uses as fuel.

When your body intakes artificial sweeteners, it still releases the insulin. However insulin can not bond with Artificial sweeteners so the insulin converts to fat and deposits itself in stores around the body.

So in turn, the person ingesting hte artificial sweeteners is actually doing the opposite of what they mean to do.

I dont know how SPlenda is, cause it is made from natural sugar, but since it is processed, it can't be too good for you.

All soft drinks are bad for you really, but the diet drinks tend to be worse.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hey, does this mean all the idiots who argued tooth and nail with me about aspartame in many, many threads of the past are now going to admit they were just ignorant goofs?

That would be awesome.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
Funny thing actually, most people intake artificial sweeteners to lose weight and reduce fat when in fact they do just the opposite.

When you intake natural sugar, the body releases insulin. Insulin bonds with the sugar and converts it to energy which the body uses as fuel.

When your body intakes artificial sweeteners, it still releases the insulin. However insulin can not bond with Artificial sweeteners so the insulin converts to fat and deposits itself in stores around the body.

So in turn, the person ingesting hte artificial sweeteners is actually doing the opposite of what they mean to do.

I dont know how SPlenda is, cause it is made from natural sugar, but since it is processed, it can't be too good for you.

All soft drinks are bad for you really, but the diet drinks tend to be worse.

Your exactly right. That's why I always laugh when I see a 300 pound hippo grabbing a diet coke from the case at the store. Ah the ignorance.

I am not going to bother sourcing, but for those to care to look..

There was a study done in which regular diet cola drinkers were split into two groups. The first group would change nothing and would continue to consume diet beverages. The other group was forced to drink real beverages with sugar.

The outcome? Not only did the people who switched gain less weight than the control group, but some actually LOST weight.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by king9072

What kills me is the incredibly huge woman at the movies in front of you at the snackbar. I want some snocaps, extra large popcorn with extra butter, a large nachos, some snickers, juju fruit, a hot dog, oh and a diet coke, I gotta watch my figure. thats whats wrong iwth America thee days

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
Reply to post by king9072

What kills me is the incredibly huge woman at the movies in front of you at the snackbar. I want some snocaps, extra large popcorn with extra butter, a large nachos, some snickers, juju fruit, a hot dog, oh and a diet coke, I gotta watch my figure. thats whats wrong iwth America thee days

Hahahah, the best part of your message was that as I was reading it I could visually imagine the situation and you're absolutely one hundred percent accurate. I even had a similar situation recently, an extremely large women and her even larger jumbo tron friend were directly in front of me in the line. They got the usual jumbo sized popcorn with extra butter (x3, yes they paid much extra), 2 bags of M&M's, 2 bags of skittles, and of course the Diet Coke to rinse it all down. Fair enough right? No #ting you, they then walked to the end of the line. I was wondering what the hell was going on when I overheard them talking about how they needed to eat as much popcorn and drink as much diet pop as they could, so they could have it refilled now and not have to walk all the way back from the theater to the concession again. (Who the hell wants to walk 60 feet anyways? jeez..)

If that anecdote right there, isn't proof that America is dumbed down, and brainwashed then what is? People are actually convinced that these are some sort of "diet" product, when in fact the inverse is true. It's hilarious.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Phenylalanine is not the only one. All artificial sweeteners are horrible, saccharin being the least of the evils. Aspartame is known to cause developmental delays in children so keep this crap away from your kids. It's horrible on your digestive system because your body doesn't know how to process it. I agree with the others who mentioned you actually GAIN weight from drinking diet drinks! Splenda isn't any better, it's made with chlorine and was initially discovered when someone realized a pesticide was "sweet". Here's a good article on it:

articles.mercola.com...

It's not only diet gum that contains phenylalanine, even Juicy Fruit (which used to be my favorite) has this stuff in it.

I agree that they need to take these artificial sweeteners off the market and try to utilize stevia, agave nectar or possibly xylitol instead.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Message content voluntarily removed by writer.
I'm unable to determine how to delete it.

[edit on 3/8/09 by Adonsa]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join