It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House steadfast on pledge of no middle-class tax increase

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

White House steadfast on pledge of no middle-class tax increase

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The White House shot down concerns Monday that middle-class families may face a tax increase in order to combat rising deficits and a struggling economy.

The president was clear during the campaign about his commitment on not raising taxes on middle-class families," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday afternoon. "I don't think any economist would believe that, in the environment that we're in, that raising taxes on middle-class families would make any sense."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah sure, we can down play it all we want, but a tax increase is going to happen.

The concern came after the Obama administration's two top money men floated the idea that tax increases to fund the nation's economic recovery could extend beyond the wealthiest Americans.

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Larry Summers, director of the National Economic Council, said Sunday they could no longer guarantee the middle class will be spared a tax increase.

The right arm doesn't know what the left arm is doing apparently. Perhaps Obama is being run around by the fed and doesn't even know it yet.

Geithner added that "very hard choices" need to be made in order to bring down the deficit.

"And we're going to have to try and do that in a way that doesn't add unfairly to the burdens that the average American homeowner already faces."

Summers said on CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday that "there's a lot that can happen over time ... so it's never a good idea to absolutely ... rule things out no matter what."

Very hard choices indeed. Either tear them down and run your own country, or end up at the whipe of more private institutions.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/3/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Kinda Ironic that White House says this, but Obama's goons are sending a different message.

This starting to look like Read My Lips.

To tell you the truth, I can't see how the US can get out of this mess without raising taxes across the board. I seriously doubt that the rich are going to be that considerate to shoulder the whole load.

There is going to come a point where the rich say hell with it and take their money to another playland where there tax burden isn't so steep.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Yup I agree, I think Obama bit off a bit more than he could chew in his campaign rhetoric.

How it seems he's not really going to have a choice put to attempt to raise taxes on the masses.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The words "read my lips" definitely come to mind.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by Majic]

new topics

top topics

join