It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA searches for instant repair of soldiers' injuries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

DARPA searches for instant repair of soldiers' injuries

homelandsecuritynewswire.com

Published 3 August 2009
DARPA is soliciting proposals for a device that can use adult stem cells for a regenerative free-for-all, producing whatever needed to repair injured body parts, including nerves, bone, and skin

The age of bionic soldiers and first responders nears. The military wants soldiers who can withstand anything -- even the worst and most debilitating wartime injuries. Now DARPA is trying to make traumatic injuries more like minor scrapes, patched up to be good as new -- or better.
Katie Drummond writes that DARPA has been working on superhuman soldiers for years. The agenc
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Star Trek, here we come. Once DARPA gets behind something, with enough money as an incentive, the developments are usually staggering.

I am just a little creeped out by this and excited at the same time. I suppose the issue of the SOURCE of the stem cells would be a concern for many, but the thing that makes me uneasy is an oppressive force that is practically unstoppable, due to the ability to heal rapidly.

I suppose that would keep soldiers in theater a lot longer as well.

It almost seems to me that we are one step closer to either the 'universal soldier' mentality or headed in the direction of enhanced quality of life an longevity.

Would be nice if we could see this evolve to a tube that you could buy at Walgreen's for three bucks.

homelandsecuritynewswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Soldiers wont be getting the treatment for a long long time, if ever at all, it will be to expensive. Remember most are expendable on the front line, the British government don't even give them the right equipment for the job as it is.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Yes...but....

I don't know, but it is reasonable cost for initial production would be staggering...............................

Save for President?
Congress?
Chief's of Staff?

Of course, we would be blind to not realize that as time and expertise increse, cost will go down and yeilds increase.

A not so far off time having a fast healing spray/injection......

It could litterly change the corse of war as we know it.

Superhuman Dictator anyone????

Imigane Kim of N.K. getting his hands on the stuff????

[edit on 8/3/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
reply to post by refuse_orders

Yes...but....

I don't know, but it is reasonable cost for initial production would be staggering...............................

Save for President?
Congress?
Chief's of Staff?

Of course, we would be blind to not realize that as time and expertise increse, cost will go down and yeilds increase.

A not so far off time having a fast healing spray/injection......

It could litterly change the corse of war as we know it.

Superhuman Dictator anyone????

Imigane Kim of N.K. getting his hands on the stuff????

[edit on 8/3/2009 by mrmonsoon]

I really didn't want to go there, but my initial reaction was that it's not really for the troops at all. It made me think of someone who had been promoted to 'supreme leader' and could stay that way for a hundred years.

What a world.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I really can't see this being anywhere near an instant repair for injuries.

Greatly improved healing time, and also the quality of the repair yhea sure, say a very large laceration, but a simple one (no tendons / arteries etc) Yes that could repair it's self in a few days possibly and then maybe 'super soldier' is back out on the front line... I just can't see that same soldier draging him self round the corner, treating him self and then being a 100% fit fighting machine.

The results for facial injuries would be a very good indicator of how good this works... And how quickly the guys regain mobility... But are they saying that if both legs were blown off those legs would eventually grow back just as before?? That would be amazing.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Seriously......

How long ago was a heat attack a death sentence???

How long ago was brain anything a death sentence????

You see where I am going with this.....

With computers being able to do billions and trillions of clacualtions per second, advancements can come faster and cheaper-in a "VERY" relitive point.

Do I have any idea how to speed the process, not a clue.

But I bet the egg-heads at Darma do, and they have the funding/equipment they need or create what they need.
(now thats MONEY).

Show a netbook to someone 100 years ago and you would be either an alien or God.

Imagine what we wiull do in the next 100....

top topics

join