It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots perform fire-fighting duties in London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Robots perform fire-fighting duties in London

homelandsecuritynewswire.com

Published 3 August 2009
The robots, built by defense contractor QinetiQ, have been in use for a year; London's fire brigade has been impressed by the robots' performance

A team of firefighting robots has helped the London Fire Brigade avoid injuries and public disruptions associated with acetylene-based cylinder fires. Acetylene is an extremely reactive colorless gas.
The BBC reports that the robots, built by defense contractor QinetiQ, have been in use for a year. London's fire brigade has been impressed by the robots' performance due to the danger associated with acetylene cylinders
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Great news. I like the fact that they can use technology designed by a defense contractor to do some good for something besides killing.

With so many robots being used by first responders now, I wonder if we are becoming sufficiently acclimated towards them, so that when they start patrolling our streets we won't be too fussy.

I had no idea that the standard procedure for the Acetylene-involving fires was to cordon off a large area for a day. In a case like this, it seems that the robots can really make a difference and keep disruptions to a minimum.

All good?

homelandsecuritynewswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well it beats bulding robots to kill, maim and bomb people eh?

As long as they are of benefit to humanity then i'm all for them. But as soon as they are used to hurt, then i say nooo.

join