It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9-magnitude quake strikes off Mexican state of Baja California, U.S. {Updated}

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
reply to post by severdsoul

i guess usually i just notice more yellow squares than orange. LOL

Yea, its weird how it fluxuates, ?sp? Watch it tomarrow or the next day or so and they will all drop off, it builds up to around 800 or so then drops a bunch off, and starts building back up again.

what are the chances that these bigger quakes will creep up north??

Thats a good question, maby someone else can answer it better than me.
I would not think the chances would be to big at all, considering the amount of energy released, but with nature one never knows.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Felt a little swaying and our building creaking from 45 floors up in Los Angeles.
No big deal, nobody is alarmed. just another day in SoCal!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I have a widget on the computer - so I hear the earthquakes all day long.
I commented to a friend - regarding the last few days -
there were increased EQ's in both Alaska and Tonga.
In quantity and frequency - as in one right after the other. -
and then there were some in the Los Angeles area.

Also - North Carolina and MO.

I'm not a scientist - but I believed something big was coming just due to the activity of the triangle that Alaska, Tonga and CA. form.

I'm also suspect as to why the new big red line outlining the plate up the coast has appeared on the USGS map. Maybe it was there before and I didn't see it?

The widget will sometimes drop the Quakes that have just been announced.
It happened before the Yellowstone flurries last year -
There were two listed in Montana - that disappeared - 2 weeks before the flurries began. There were also some that disappeared the last couple of days from Alaska and Tonga.

This led me to believe that there was some quarry or natural gas drilling or something else other than "nature" that may have set off the flurries in Yellowstone - and also a possibility with the activity now.

You all can have a go at me in regards to my wondering theory.
It won't matter -
I've been looking for a long time.
I don't trust the information we get -

[edit on 3-8-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo

I'm also suspect as to why the new big red line outlining the plate up the coast has appeared on the USGS map. Maybe it was there before and I didn't see it?

They added that about a week or two ago, was not long, and added the color, nice addition, i was suprised as well when it showed up.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Earthquakes dont work in "yellow squares", the CA region quakes occur when the fault is unzipping itself, but occasionally theres a snag in that zip. The pressure mounts until the zip gives way and it begins to split again..the sudden release depending on how much pressure was exerted is constituted as a Earthquake in scientific terms.
If/when the big one hits in Central CA you can orget about simply strolling up into town to collect your loved ones as every infastructure you can think of will be massively impacted.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

and i'm sure the whole area would be on lock down. Just for saftey of falling buildings and theft problems.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I really hate to say this, but...didn't the web-bot predict this?

If so, I might be a tad bit freaked out. I hate that thing and I was looking forward to the end of the prediction madness.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yup, web-bot predicted flurry earthquakes in August, to continue through the last quarter of this year.

Very scary stuff indeed.

Then again, the web-bots are always right in one part or another.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Well, to be fair, if I recall correctly the web bot did predict earthquakes to start popping up after the July 22 solar eclipse. Nothing really happened around that eclipse although they did mention that the eclipse was simply a temporal marker indicating the beginning of this activity and there would be more by late August and all the way into 2010.

I'd say this quake is not proof of anything with regards to the web bot. If we see some major quakes between now and December, then I will give credit to them for a good prediction, but right now this is simply a mild-to-large earthquake in a convenient location so as to result in little damage. SoCal and Mexico is very lucky thusfar. Time will tell if there will be more to satisfy the web bot prediction (I believe they said something along the lines of "it is pointless to mention the earthquakes in detail because there will be so many of them it will be obvious") so once that happens then we can start saying the web bot predicted it.

Until then, it is just another 6.x quake. They happen.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
For any interested...

Here's a Hobby Page I built to cover Eq's around the world...it's by no means the "End All" for coverage, but, has the high points covered...

It's a "Stand Alone" page and works all on it's own...just plain ol' HTML...just save it somewhere and make a desktop link to the file...wala...

Eq Monitor Page

Enjoy...?

[edit on 8/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I usually look at this site www.iris.edu... pretty much every day and it has been very quiet on the american side until today.
That site only shows the ones over four magnitude.

THANKYOU

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
For those keeping tabs. From RSOE

03.08.2009 - 19:21:59 3.4 North America USA California Round Valley USGS
03.08.2009 - 18:41:00 5.8 Middle America Mexico Estado de Sonora Puerto Penasco RSOE-EMSC
03.08.2009 - 18:40:53 6.0 Middle America Mexico Estado de Baja California San Luis USGS
03.08.2009 - 18:33:34 5.0 Middle America Mexico Estado de Baja California Santa Isabel RSOE-EMSC
03.08.2009 - 18:07:07 2.6 North America USA California Cobb USGS
03.08.2009 - 18:01:00 2.2 North America USA Alaska Adak USGS
03.08.2009 - 18:00:01 6.9 Middle America Mexico Estado de Baja California Santa Isabel USGS
03.08.2009 - 17:59:59 6.9 Middle America Mexico Estado de Sonora Bahia Kino RSOE-EMSC
03.08.2009 - 17:55:28 5.1 Middle America Mexico Estado de Sonora Bahia Kino RSOE-EMSC
03.08.2009 - 17:55:25 5.8 Middle America Mexico Estado de Baja California Santa Isabel USGS
03.08.2009 - 17:55:21 6.9 Middle America Mexico Estado de Baja California Santa Isabel USGS

(list snipped to west cosast only)

Looks like they are listing a few twice? Two stations I guess. I am so glad I don't live in CA any more. One thing less to worry about. But in NE I get to worry about tornados. Well, at least you can see them comming. Any reports from the streets yet? No Tsunami warnings either. Will need to call family tonight. At least its not in Yellowstone

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by severdsoul

I agree, virtually all at the same depth too, I guess this is more proof that the "Big One" of California is going to be coming soon too.

~Keeper

may I asked why this points to the "big one" im new to the field of earthquakes and just wondering.. thanks

[edit on 3-8-2009 by emac33]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Didn't event feel it in our part of town (I was in La Jolla, just a few miles north of downtown San Diego). However we were on the ground floor and the building is a typical well built office structure.

I hope and trust that everyone in Baja is okay... looks like it missed any populated areas (I hope!).

Another day in paradise, but probably just another day closer to the big one...

TTFN

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I always check the USGS site and also the spaceweather.com site. By the way the proton density is high again.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

George said he expected a 6.5 in a populated area or a 7.0+ in a non-populated area on August 3rd. Not that it would be a huge event, just a temporal marker, like you mentioned. I'd say this quake fits the bill. I think it gives us some insight because I can't remember any serious quakes in the san andreas area for a while strangely. The whole US has been relatively seismically quiet for a while so in that sense calling this event (and a few around it) was interesting.

I don't remember any specific predictions of serious quakes in the near future. I didn't get a feeling that the next big one was imminent from my reading of the report. Not that we'll need anything like that to be in misery.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by CapsFan8]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Yeah, the bot said one would happen yesterday (which I never relayed - due to last time)

But I will go ahead and stick my neck out - they said to expect another of same mag. today somewhere.

I didn't see all postings, so don't know if above was already posted by someone else.

Also - the report I received this morning from the EQ expert - and on other boards of people who have studied EQ's have said - most likely this one

Loosened and caused a stress transfer to the Southern San Andreas - so, what does that mean?

Look at Calif - getting some larger quakes - if the stress has now transferred.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall

Yeah, the bot said one would happen yesterday (which I never relayed - due to last time)

But I will go ahead and stick my neck out - they said to expect another of same mag. today somewhere.

I didn't see all postings, so don't know if above was already posted by someone else.

Also - the report I received this morning from the EQ expert - and on other boards of people who have studied EQ's have said - most likely this one

Loosened and caused a stress transfer to the Southern San Andreas - so, what does that mean?

Look at Calif - getting some larger quakes - if the stress has now transferred.

Oooh! Please don't worry about sticking your neck out - the world has relied on people that were prepared to stick their necks out otherwise we'd probably still be cavemen!
(Controversial is good IMO)

I'd rather have as much access to information as possible and then research and make up my own mind than not have people passing on information at all. Besides, if I wanted to be spoon fed information, about someone else's conclusions of what they deem fact, I'd just switch on the TV news!

There will always be people with differing opinions and that's one of the things I love about this site - many times my own opinion has been swayed from links I've followed from ATS. To me it's like collecting pieces of a jigsaw and putting them all together to form a complete picture - sometimes pieces fit, sometimes they don't but I keep learning and looking for the missing pieces.

Funny thing is - the more I find out, the less I know

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CapsFan8

Ah yes, I see now. They [Clif and George] mentioned on Coast-to-Coast that there would be large-ish quakes on Aug 3&4. I did not recall reading those exact dates in the ALTA reports.

Wow, that is one accurate prediction. I don't recall anybody being able to call a 6.5+ on the exact day. Now, they said "and" which makes it sound like there is potential for another similar jolt today. I would not throw the prediction out if there was not, since they did get it right.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Its not just cali . its the hold world ,i can't wait

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join