It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:
SM2

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I know its been said, but i will say it again. The best weapon is the one you are familiar and comfortable with. I do not foresee a situation where I can only take one firearm, due to ho I have my B.O.B and emergency supplies arranged. I keep 2 bags, one for my wife and one for me. each one has an assortment of various items. some of which are redundant. Each also has a 1911 .45 acp with 300 rounds of ammo and a variety of repair parts for that pistol and the 2 rifles. The two rifles are a Ar15 that i custom built with a piston conversion set up and an old Mauser converted over to a .308 with a 3-9x60mm scope. if I can grab one, I can grab both. However,if i could only grab one, i would go for the ar. The reason is, it is acurate, lightweight, ammo is light, in the right hands it can be devestating. Another reason for the ar and the .308, I like to shoot what our military shoots just in case of a shtf scenario. Ammo and repair parts for the ar will be readily available, ammo for the .308 will be readily available. also, yes, the 7.62x39 has more punch then a 5.56, the 7.62x39 is nowhere near as accurate as the 5.56. The ballistics of the 5.56 are superior up to about 300-400 yards (where you are most likely going to use a rifle anyways) The average Joe is not going to be making 1000 yard shots cold bore with no rest while tramping thru the woods. Most "avid hunters" I have seen at the various ranges i have visited struggle with consistantly hitting 500-600 yards accurately with a scope and a rest. You have to know your skill set and your limitations to make this decision on what to take. If you can not make a shot at 1000 yards accurately while using no rest, then why take a rifle that is chambered in a round designed specifically for that? Why take a .338 lupua mag if you are only consistant up to 400 yards?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SM2

Overall i concur. The ar is great all around. i have an aimpoint 3x magnifier on a quick twist mount, and an eotech sight. very good setup imo.

Everyone acts like they are so proficient with a rifle. Most are not. many people talk in forums about engaging an enemy at 300 to 400 yards/meters. That is in insanely long distance. Most people, between tactics and shooting ability, would be useless beyond 100. Its easy to imagine fighting it out with some unnamed assailant at distance. But if you are ever in said firefight, extricate yourself. Avoid it all together, which is quite easy at over 200 meters.

having said that, and imagining some would agree. i will continue on and say a 12 gauge is probably ideal for most people. the right 12 with bird, buck, and slugs would cover almost anyones needs for a variety of uses. However, the AR is ideal.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

That answer was very helpful, thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

But if you are ever in said firefight, extricate yourself. Avoid it all together, which is quite easy at over 200 meters.

Good advice, in a SHTF scenario, you never actually want to BE in a firefight. Even a minor hit could prove deadly when there is no hospital or Dr around. Your best bet is to avoid a shootout altogether....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
22 mag pistol with a detachable rifle stock is all you need, along with a lens. or cut down a 22 mag rifle that takes a clip. lightweight ammo that you can carry 500 or better rounds, and has high enough velocity that can take out a deer at 300 yards, plus you can shoot 22 long rifle through it with an insert.

you don't want to run out of ammo in an emergency, and most other weapons ammo are just too bulky and weigh too much to pack while on the move. Seriously

the only other comparable fire arm is the Fn p-90 5.7x28, but most of us aren't going to want to spend that kind of money and the ammo cant be found everywhere

Huh? A cut down .22 mag for shooting deer at 300 yards? Good luck with that. A .22 mag is a pretty decent survival round as far as I'm concerned,as it packs more punch than a .22Lr without ammo being much heavier. However,if you chrono a .22 mag out of say a 6 inch barrel pistol, you'll find yourself back to near the same velocities as a .22LR out of a rifle. Also,cutting down a rifle isn't as simple as taking a hacksaw to the barrel and then carrying on as usual. You better have that cut perfect and be able to put a new crown on it too if you expect to maintain any sort of accuracy.
As to this insert you speak of,can you provide a link? I've never seen one and can't quite seee how one would work,as the LR is basically just a bit shorter. How do you make an adapter to drop into the chamber? Not saying it doesn't exist,but I'd like to see it.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

I smith all my own parts, and the insert is just a head spaced cut off a 22 barrel liner. any retard can make one

and by the way a 13 inch barrel works flawlessly

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I have the M6 in 22 hornet. I'm not into guns but when I saw it I had to have it. It seems to be quite accurate and the hornet packs enough punch to take down anything up to a white tail. The .410 is only good to about 30yds but it would take down a game bird if you were careful and waited for the right shot. The gun itself is very simple in design and is very compact and extremely reliable. The lever type trigger allows it to be shot with mitts on. I also like the ammo storage in the stock 12rds/hornet 4rds/.410 . It's the only gun I own and it's all I need. I bought mine through a local gun shop for around $200 about 6-7yrs ago.
edit on 19-2-2011 by HarryJoy because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HarryJoy

I was assuming that the op meant SHTF scenario, and that most posts would reflect that.Having said that, i wonder why you would suggest a, in my opinion, gimmick.

Now i shoot alot, and am a great shot. But im usually aiming at a static target on the less than sentient side. One small caliber shot, before reloading while hunting or defending yourself? Whether a matter of defense, or hunting, i have to ask, why limit yourself to the M6?

I could go into a lot of reasons, but suffice to say the caliber, single shot break, and sighting system make it less than ideal for a survival situation of any kind.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

reply to post by xxclaro

I smith all my own parts, and the insert is just a head spaced cut off a 22 barrel liner. any retard can make one

and by the way a 13 inch barrel works flawlessly

I'm intrigued by this,any way you can post up a pic of it?
Have you ever chrono'd the 13" .22 mag? I'd be curious to see how much velocity is lost due to the shorter barrel. With a 13 inch barrel I'm thinking it would probably still be pretty decent, significantly better than shooting it out of a 6 inch barrel pistol. I'm going to see if I can find any info in that online.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

I get the impression you're a shoot first and ask questions later kinda guy. If you go back to the first page and scroll down about midway you will see that the OP commented specifically on the M6 and his being unable to put his hands on one. As far as you thinking that the M6 is a gimmick.....I think anyone that has held and or used one would beg to differ. It is a very well made and solidly constructed gun....but made for a specific purpose.... "Survival" therefore it is a compromise. It is compact therefore the barrel is not as long as a typical rifle therefore the accuracy is not what it would otherwise be.....but with the 22 hornet round ( which is substantially more powerful then even a 22 magnum) it is still accurate and lethal up to probably 150-200yds. Now think about that that's the length of 2 football fields that's a long ways. The vast majority of shots would be considerably shorter then that. I guarantee I could shoot a moose in the head ( with a hollow point ) from under 100yds and drop it...what more do I want? As far as the .410 goes they are what they are something for hunting small game in close quarters.
Maybe you think it is a gimmick because you can store ammo in the stock ...I think it's good planning or because it can be broken in half quickly and easily carried in a backpack.... I think it's sensible. Or maybe because it can't hold up in a "firefight". Well where I live I'm not personally worried about that scenario unless we're invaded by a foreign army...even then I think they will leave the secluded areas for last if not entirely alone. Just my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Assuming its use is primarily defensive and for killing game vs taking out targets over 200 yards then I would go with a shotgun. Versatility of ammunition from bird shot to various buck shot to slugs accurate to over 100 yds. The shotgun of choice would be the USAS-12 (Daewoo) with drum or stick magazines. The Clinton adminstration had it classified as a destructive device during the original assault weapon ban (1994) so it requires batf approval and a transfer tax.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

as much as an AR with an 8" barrel at 300 yards

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryJoy

I get the impression you're a shoot first and ask questions later kinda guy. If you go back to the first page and scroll down about midway you will see that the OP commented specifically on the M6 and his being unable to put his hands on one. As far as you thinking that the M6 is a gimmick.....I think anyone that has held and or used one would beg to differ. It is a very well made and solidly constructed gun....but made for a specific purpose.... "Survival" therefore it is a compromise. It is compact therefore the barrel is not as long as a typical rifle therefore the accuracy is not what it would otherwise be.....but with the 22 hornet round ( which is substantially more powerful then even a 22 magnum) it is still accurate and lethal up to probably 150-200yds. Now think about that that's the length of 2 football fields that's a long ways. The vast majority of shots would be considerably shorter then that. I guarantee I could shoot a moose in the head ( with a hollow point ) from under 100yds and drop it...what more do I want? As far as the .410 goes they are what they are something for hunting small game in close quarters.
Maybe you think it is a gimmick because you can store ammo in the stock ...I think it's good planning or because it can be broken in half quickly and easily carried in a backpack.... I think it's sensible. Or maybe because it can't hold up in a "firefight". Well where I live I'm not personally worried about that scenario unless we're invaded by a foreign army...even then I think they will leave the secluded areas for last if not entirely alone. Just my 2 cents

You make quite a few assumptions about me based on very few known facts. as for shooting first, I have posted in other threads about avoiding firefights. i have never shot at, nor been shot at, by another human being. i hope that is the case when i die in my 100's.

i didnt mean to offend you on your choice. But considering the title of the thread, you would pick that one rifle? Out of everything currently available? i think an M6 is as survival as a survivor knife with fishing line, matches, and an emergency blanket in the handle is. Great for a kid lost in the woods.

I have to nit pick you on one of your statements. The idea of taking a moose with that rifle is simply ludicrous. Any hunter that would approach large game without a very large caliber, and a scope, is asking for trouble. Experienced hunters obsess about harvesting the animal with a kill shot, minimizing the pain the animal experiences. Shooting a moose with any derivative of a .22 round, should be considered animal cruelty. At the very least, your tracking skills would be tested running down the wounded animal. Not a pretty picture.

As for the gun being for "survival"? Yes it was designed for a short period of survival. When a pilot was forced to fend for himself while hiding. Not ideal when rescue isnt an option.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

14 lbs with a loaded 10 round mag? Not for me. people say the saiga is better overall. But no doubt the USAS-12 is cool.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think the 10/22 sounds like a good choice.
Can anyone recommend the model with the bull barrel?
I think it's called the target model, is it worth the extra price and weight for a little better accuracy?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I would most likely go for a semi-automatic rifle such as an FN-FAL with an AN/PVQ-31 sight
Although I already have a Lee Enfield that my grandfather gave to me a while back, so I guess I could use that. However i will probably only use the iron sights on it

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

reply to post by xxclaro

as much as an AR with an 8" barrel at 300 yards

Dammit, now your gonna make me think! Okay, lets say a .223 with 13" barrel is still making 2800fps at the muzzle with a 55gr bullet or thereabouts. On average the bullet should loose 1000-1200 fps by the time it reaches 300yds, so with that math your MV from the .22 mag is 1600-1800fps? Hmm,still significantly better than your average LR. Well, I have a gun show to work next week, might have to keep my eyes open for a .22mag........

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

if you find any of the new keltec rmr 30s available? find the dealer and report back, because everyone waiting but we aren't finding any dealers that have them on hand.

cheaperthandirt.com...

building rifles are cool and all but its nice to get them fresh from dealer

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Yes the USAS is heavy (esp with the 20 rd drum) but you can use a sling to lighten the load (not a problem for home defense but problematic if used on patrol). And the Saiga is easier to acquire (also uses stick and drum mags)....but I like the look of the AR platform on steroids vs the look of an AK-47.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Ive owned strikers before they were re-classed and a SPAS and in my opinion, they are too clumsy and junk, plus way to heavy to lug around

I have always been intrigued with the prospect of building a full auto Siaga 410 and suppressing it. you could tig the clips together and stack the springs, to make a 30 round clip, and with the variety of different rounds you could load, especially slugs. it would make one bad ass lil lawn sweeper.

edit on 19-2-2011 by anumohi because: add

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join