It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have several rifles and several pistols. If the S does HTF i'm going to try my best to bug in. But if i do have to leave im taking my ruger 10/22 and my springfield xd.

The reason i want the 22 is because if its a survival situation and i'm going to be out a long time surviving i dont want to run out of ammo. A box of 550 22 rounds will last a few years if just being used for hunting small game.
The 22 is also quiet. You are less likely to give your position away with it. You can take down larger game if need be but in a survival situation when your on the move the smaller stuff is easier.

The springfield xd is just for self defense and i wont be carrying much ammo for it. The 22 will be my primary weapon. If your planning on hiding out in bear country take something bigger.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I agree and like the Ciener conversion. It's great and cheap for training with at the range which is essential.

If we had to BO, my wife and I would each carry our AR's, the Ciener conversion bolt and a combination of .223 and .22LR. We could hunt with one in .22LR, defend with the other.....Note that the .22LR would keep the noise down which is essential in a survival situation - and carry more ammo per backpack. The carrier group can be switched back in seconds if more firepower is needed. This would be worst case though as I would be reluctant to leave my primary defensive weapons (M1A and Mossberg 500 Mariner). Knowing how paranoid I am know and undoubtedly worse during a SHTF scenario, I'd probably take them all.

....and remember - Handguns are used to fight your way back to your rifle!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I know we all have a wide range of thoughts on what gun to have.

things to think about...
12 ga. is ok, but ammo is bulky and heavy...carry 500 rounds with your bug out bag.
ak-47 is ok, the accuracy is very poor...so hunting isn't a good idea with it.
45 pistol is ok, but the range is not very far compaired to a rifle.

This is just a few thoughts that I have on some of the guns suggested.

Keep in mind you might need thousands of rounds
That some of them are way to big and heavy for you to carry in all types of envirnments.
You need to be able to repair and clean it
It needs to be powerful enough to kill a rabbit up to a deer or even a bear if your in the mountains.
It should be accurate
Light weight
Dependable
Fire a common round...so you could pick some extra ammo up off of the attackers/ would be survivalists
Easy to maintain
Able to break down or hide it easily
Simple to operate

If you find a gun that has all of this then use that gun, everyone is going to be different in thought and area of operation. It is what best suits you not what billy bob and jimmy jo think you should carry or need.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I would have to agree with you. I have a marlin Papoose along with a few other assorted 22s. Cheap ammo, small ammo, and deadly ammo. One well placed shot is as good as any weapon. You have to think about how much room and weight you are willing to spare. I can hunt small game and protect the family. And if an empty can of beans tries to attack, I got something for his ass.

Those damned empty cans of beans! I had to shoot one the other day. I think it was rabid!

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Tough choices OP!

Considerations:

1. A suitable food acquiring weapon - ie caliber not so large as to blow all the meat off a squirrel or rabbit.

2. Fire power to bring down a man if need be.

3. Something "extra" in a fire fight, to give you the edge and make the bad guys who want your stuff think twice.

4. Economical enough caliber that you can carry lots of ammo, light weight.

5. Common enough ammo caliber that you can find plenty by scavenging.

6. Tough enough; not a delicate or picky weapon, able to survive outdoors with you in many harsh conditions.

My pick is:

HECKLER AND KOCH MP5-N 9mm SUB MACHINE GUN with the long barrel - it does semi-auto (single fire), 2 round double taps, and full auto. The mag holds 30 rounds.

You can single-shot a rabbit or squirrel without filleting it, or double tap a man; it doesn't have much range, but survival means evading doesn't it, when you are alone?

If you find yourself in a bad situation, full auto will make the bad guys keep their heads down and think who's this guy with a machine gun? They won't know or care what caliber you are firing.

It's light and rugged; H&K make some fine weapons.

9mm is a #ty round, but it's light weight enough to carry a bunch of ammo, and en mass it's deadly enough.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Said it before and I'll swear by it again, I love my Remington 7615-p.
Pump action 5.56 / .223. have penetrator rounds, nosler partition rds, hollow points, heavy slugs, light slugs, tracers, stainless casings, brass casings, polymer casings and shoots them all just fine, no tophats, misfeeds, etc. My eyes are dicey at my age, but with that being said, I still put 3 rd groups together at 100 yds. Just don't tell the Missus, I keep telling her I can't shoot for crap so I need the practice. And as previously stated, it's Remington, so it'll out last me.
Pump action, so I don't worry about the gas block, springs etc. associated with semi-auto and while not as fast cycling the slide as a semi., it'll do just fine. And for those thinking you may be scavenging ammo from the dead, it takes the AR mags. Sure to be a few of those laying around, right? Besides, who in their right mind looks forward to a firefight? Being based as the 7600 is on the venerable 870 series, if need be just rack the slide and most think it's a shotgun. I've already tried this in real life, they all ran, Thank God, 6 of 'em giving the old lady some crap in my own backyard, in Fla that's a legal shoot. Current prices for .223 run at about $5.00 for a box of 20, (cheap Russian ammo, the gun doesn't care) up to .85 a round for the noslers.
It's all good.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I've read through this thread...a lot of choices so I'll start with mine.

In a "survival" situation, regardless of city/country area you will want something that can clear a house (if need be) and also something that can reach out and touch someone. I'm a bolt-action man, but in a survival situation I'm looking for something semi-automatic with a magazine. Also keep in mind that in a situation like this military and police ammunition will be highly available.

But if I could have 1 survival rifle, then my pick is the....

Springfield M1A Socom Mark II: With it's 10 pound weigh, you will want to become very familiar with this rifle. (note: you can remove the rails or even go with the SOCOM I that's 2 pounds lighter, but I prefer the Mark II) I've seen lots of men coming off the M4 and having problems moving from target to target due to it's weight. But once you become familiar and can handle this weapon, it's the ultimate all-around survival rifle. This is a rugged rifle that patterns itself off the best service rifle ever made, the M1 Garand. This 16' .308 (7.62x51) has the power to punch through car doors and barricades you'll find throughout modern homes in a situation X environment. Like an M4, the M1A SOCOM is easy to maneuver in small spaces but packs more of a punch than a 5.56 round. This rifle is extremely effective and with moa accuracy.

I've read over this thread where posters recommend such guns as the H&K MP5 or other SMG type weapons. While these weapons would be extremely useful in an urban environment, keep in mind that after 100 meters you aren't going to be real effective. Other posters went with bolt-action, but if you're up close and personal that bolt action rifle is going to have you going to an early grave.

By far and hands down, if I can only have 1 rifle...it's the M1A SOCOM Mark II. It's dependable, reliable, accurate, good for short/medium and long range targets, ammo can be easily accessible (7.62x51) .308, semi-automatic. There isn't anything NOT to like about this rifle, except for the price...but it's WELL worth it. Hope this post helps.
edit on 12-11-2010 by Patron Saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
A great thread, i had to chime in.

I have a AR 15 with an eotech and a quick twist 3x eotech magnifier, also a FNH semi 12 gauge. I love both firearms. Both accurate and fun.

If i could only take one, it would be the shotty. i prefer semiauto, but agree pumps have many advantages.

I would take the shotty for three reasons.

bird,buck, and slugs. Every farmhouse on the planet has at least some kicking around. .223 or .308 or any round might be scarce quick.

There is nothing like the sound of a 12 guage. a big guy can shoot 8 slugs at a target in less than 3 seconds. i dont care who you are, thats firepower. through car doors and walls.

maximum range is 100 yards. Some might say thats a bad thing, i dont. I could clear a house with buckshot, hunt with bird, or engage at ~ 100 yards with slugs. Anything further away than that? Im running. In TSHTF, running and avoiding fighting will keep you alive longer than any one gun.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I'm going to blasted for this but I believe a .22 is probably going to be your best all around firearm. Lightweight, light ammo (you can carry a lot), easy maintenance, relatively quiet, low recoil, can be fired with one hand

I'm totally with you, and for the same reasons. Other folks will run out of ammo, and you'll still have plenty just in your pockets...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
one shot one kill

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Tough choices OP!

Considerations:

1. A suitable food acquiring weapon - ie caliber not so large as to blow all the meat off a squirrel or rabbit.

2. Fire power to bring down a man if need be.

3. Something "extra" in a fire fight, to give you the edge and make the bad guys who want your stuff think twice.

4. Economical enough caliber that you can carry lots of ammo, light weight.

5. Common enough ammo caliber that you can find plenty by scavenging.

6. Tough enough; not a delicate or picky weapon, able to survive outdoors with you in many harsh conditions.

My pick is:

HECKLER AND KOCH MP5-N 9mm SUB MACHINE GUN with the long barrel - it does semi-auto (single fire), 2 round double taps, and full auto. The mag holds 30 rounds.

You can single-shot a rabbit or squirrel without filleting it, or double tap a man; it doesn't have much range, but survival means evading doesn't it, when you are alone?

If you find yourself in a bad situation, full auto will make the bad guys keep their heads down and think who's this guy with a machine gun? They won't know or care what caliber you are firing.

It's light and rugged; H&K make some fine weapons.

9mm is a #ty round, but it's light weight enough to carry a bunch of ammo, and en mass it's deadly enough.

Great weapon but you'll need a class III license and about $20,000 to get one. I'll stick to a Ruger 10/22 or any thing in .22 for the situation at hand. If you want the tactical look, many companies have climbed on board with some great new tactical .22's that mimic AR platforms and even the mp5 platform

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I would choose my Remington 12ga with a mix of different type loads. My second choice would be my S&W .357(with speed loaders) they can shoot .357 or .38 and the .38 has a large variety of rounds to handle different situations. The way my bug out bag is set up, I would have both with me if I had either. The only draw back to the shotgun is the weight of the ammo.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
M-1 Garand the best ever made .not the NATO, the 1942-44, Springfield, 30-06!!!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
M-1 Garand the best ever made .not the NATO, the 1942-44, Springfield, 30-06!!!
Excellent weapon indeed. However, have you ever tried to reload the magazines by hand? It is a serious pain in the anal cavity. Aside from that though, I would agree 100%. It is a high quality weapon and well worth consideration. It has a monstrous kick until you get used to it, but very accurate, highly reliable and a powerful cartridge.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

you can get the stripper loading rail, make loading a zip,, that and 20 clips, love that ping that lets you know your out, paint end and sides bright florescent orange, easy to find in snow or thick brush.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
i've actually thought about this for a long time now.the one rifle i'd take is my norinco sks. it's got this sweet scope on it that enables you to look under the scope and use the open sights. pop the buttplate off,and slide your cleaning kit right in. good deal.

or, if i could afford it, i'd also go withan ar-10 in .308 with a couple 20 round mags.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
22 magnum is the best of both worlds. you have a wide variety of ammo including shot pellet. plus they make chamber inserts so you can shoot as small as a 22 CB and the ammo is relatively cheaper than all other ammo except 22 long rifle.

the only other weapon that will meet and exceed this round is the 5.7x28, but the weapons are very expensive and ammo is relatively hard to come by, but is the very best weapon you can have for all around survival.

it all boils down to what is your life worth?

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

LOL. My life is worth having more than one weapon

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

then you better have them all in the same caliber:/

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

No, I don't, but all four of my weapons are of very common calibers. 12 ga, .357, 9 mm and 7.62 mm. Each one fulfills a separate and distinct role.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join