It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's too late to edit ir I just would have added, but I am quite surprised that so many people would choose a .22. We're talking "survival rifle" here, not a plinker. The only thing a .22 has going for it is cheap ammo, but for any firearm you choose, you should already have an ammo stash. About all the .22 can do for you is get small game. It's insufficient to get deer, for example, and if you dare shoot a bear, it will just become quite angry with you. It's not a good defensive weapon at all, especially against an armed opponent who has something nastier. It has no stopping power to speak of. I have a couple of .22s myself, a rifle and a pistol, both Rugers. They are nice firearms, but they are for target practice, not for survival.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Mossberg 500 for sure!

- can fire many different types of rounds including slugs, buckshot, and birdshot.

-Ammunition is available everywhere and is fairly affordable.

-Impossible to jam.

-the sound of it chambering a round will make most bad guys literally urinate in their pants.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

Lol that’s exactly what I was going to say and I have my 22 ready to go on a second notice or feeling of anything about to happen, it’s great for game food and great for self protection. Holds more loads in the mag than most any other weapon light weight easy to carry and super dependable. I can easily care a case in my back pack and a quick wipe down and run through the barrel for cleaning heck no one could ever tell me differently. And fyi I’ve been shooting since I was 9 with all kind plus I spent some time in the Army and still wouldn’t give up my 22 over any M16 or 17 of today.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I must totally dis agree with you, I have with my 22 rifle taken down a deer no problem, I wouldn’t go after a bear mind you, and as far a person goes, I can bulls eye a target at 50 yards and at 100 yards still nail 8 out of 10. as far as a person the 22 is perfect hollow point to take a person down with a chest shot braking the rib and sending it right into the heart. A head shot might, I mean might not fully penetrate depending on distance to target but it sure will make the other guy think twice before approaching closer. Remember its all about aiming proper and any beast including a bear if shot in the eye will penetrate into the brain if need be. I can put empty and I have in competition shooting a full clip with 3 or more kill shots. Compared to others I have shot against with 45 or 9 that couldn’t even empty the clip during a run target. For those whom do not know what that is, it’s a moving target at 50 yards, you have one clip to empty from the time it starts to move till it stops at the end, then points are reward for each hit and 3 points for each kill shot. So again I will say a 22 is your best bet, just practice with it as much as possible and you will be ready for any situation. Or get yourself a Kimber pistol 45 or 9 mil with the 1911 barrel change kit to a 22 then you have both available for use when the situation calls for it.

But to be honest with you, my survival is the open waters of the ocean, on a boat with desalinization unit on board for fresh drinking water, fishing poles for food and my weapons to protect me against any would be pirates. Fuel consumption will be at a min once outside if you use wind power, the ocean will provide you with everything you need to survive for years. Just saying.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The Encore would be good for providing game.

Now, with the addition of interchangeable barrels in 95 calibers, it’s also the most technologically advanced shooting system ever conceived.

www.tcarms.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
How about one of those Russian TP-82's (if your ever able to get hold of one!

It's the triple barreled thing they gave to the cosmonauts for survival after they land somewhere in Siberia... It fires pistol ammo - shotgun and flares - the stock it also a machete and there is probably fishing kit and other goodies stashed somewhere on it.

It is intended as a survival aid to be used after landings and before recovery in the Siberian wilderness. The upper two smoothbore barrels use 12.5 mm caliber ammunition, and the lower rifled barrel use 5.45 mm caliber ammunition. The pistol can be used for hunting, to defend against predators and for visual and auditory distress signals. The detachable buttstock is also a machete sheath.

All well and good, but in a SHTF situation you want something that uses commonly used ammo (ie: .303; .308; .223; 5.56mm;or 7.62mm) or something to that effect. After you've used up your original stockpile where are you going to find 12.5mm and 5.45mm?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Where I live [and plan to stay] you can't see over 200 meters let alone shot in it. I carry with me either a Marlin papoose in the jeep or a folding stock 10/22 with a reworked trigger, folding stock, scope, threaded barrel and a suppressor.[ legal if you pay the tax, illegal if used to hunt] I know people that use a similar set up for whitetail without issue. quiet and compact works in my neck of the woods, and has done so for a considerable time. As for tactical, if you can,t see it, cant hear it, it isn't there. By the time you can acquire a target you are close enough to bag with one of these. Other scenarios are way different but it works for us hilbillies.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by drmeola

I'm still aghast. You are very confident and you are probably a better shot than I am, but a .22 is marginally more effective than a BB gun or Airsoft round. Tell you what. I'm going to pose this question on a gun forum I frequent and we'll see what kind of responses we get. I'll post in a day or so.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I would pick a old cooey 22 cal. a couple boxes of long rifle bullets. That could take down anything from a bull moose to taking the head of a Partridge . peace

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread487984/pg6#pid9400721]post by schuyler[/ry friggen machine ...OK ..I remember a story about our norther natives hunting Polar Bears with 22 shorts because they thought the long rifles were a waste ... I would feel a little safer with a 300 magnum but they were quite comfortable using 22 shorts ...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30. Both 7.62 and .223 calibers are very common. Both can take down deer, or similarly sized game. They are semi-autos which comes in handy in self-defense situation. Not to mention 30 and 50 rounds clips are available. They are carbines which are light enough to carry anywhere and useful in tight spaces. Being that they are manafactured by Ruger, they are proven quality rifles. Finally, they are more reasonably priced than other quality tactical rifles such as an AR-15 or Sig.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Taking only a single rifle or shotty... that's a VERY hard decision.

If I were permanently forced from my home without advanced notice, I'd most likely opt for my Remington 597 .22LR. Light, accurate, good general purpose/small prey plinker, and I have several thousand rounds to keep it going for a very long time. It's not high powered to kill bears and large game, but if you're only carrying a .22LR, only a damn fool would engage those or intentionally get into a firefight anyway. Stealth and evasion are the key to survival with only a .22.

For me:

Home defense - Mossberg Cruiser 500 12GA
general purpose - Remington 597 .22LR
defense - Stag 15L 5.56 NATO
long range - Barrett 82A1 50BMG
CCW - S&W TAC40 9mm

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I have a AR 15 for my survival rifle.

I also have a Ciener 22LR conversion unit so that i can fire 22LR.
and i have a CAR upper that converts it to a carbine.
www.22lrconversions.com...

With a little PVC pipe and cardboard when using the Ciener 22LR conversion you would never even hear what hit you or hear me hunting small game after SHTF.

And i can make the conversion in less then a minute from 22LR to 5.56

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Other than the fact that a .22 is fairly easy on the ammo budget, it would be my weapon of last resort. I maintain that the stopping power of a .22 is minimal. They would not be good for killing zombies. Some of you feel differently. I put the question to a bunch of gun enthusiasts on another forum. Here are their answers:

www.gunslot.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
A 22 may or may not be your best solution... it really depends on the area/region in which you plan to relocate, the resources available there, the members of your party and their armament, mode of transportation, and a plethora of other relevant factors.

Some chose a larger piece designed for hunting large game deep in the back forests, which would certainly be a prudent choice. Others have alternate relocation points where big game never appear and you must focus on numerous smaller prey, making a larger number of smaller rounds a better choice. If the other members of my party are all carying AR's for defense, would my having a small caliber piece with a couple of bricks of light ammo be beneficial to the group? Versatility can be a huge survival factor.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Beretta CX4 40 carbine

Accurate, easy to use, field strip and accessorize, the Cx4 Storm fits every need of the American pistol shooter. Today’s shooter demands a gun that can accept a large assortment of accessories, and the Cx4 caters to all tastes. A retractable accessory rail extends from the fore-end for mounting tactical lights. Rails can be installed on either side or the bottom of the fore-end for lasers or forward grips and all new Cx4 Storm Carbines come with a full P-Rail on the top of the receiver (shown in right side view photo). Redefining the pistol-caliber carbine, with racy and radical lines from the masters of industrial design at Giugiaro. The Cx4 Storm’s smooth, sweeping curves are made possible by the use of modern highstrength, lightweight technopolymers.CALIBER 9MM, .40 S&W, .45 ACP ACTION SINGLE ACTION STOCK SYNTHETIC RECOIL PAD RUBBER SAFETY CROSS-BOLT, REVERSIBLE OVERALL LENGTH 29.7" * BARREL LENGTH 16.6" LENGTH OF PULL 131/4" – 15" ** WEIGHT UNLOADED 53/4" REAR SIGHT GHOST RING WITH TWO SIZE APERTURES FRONT SIGHT POST, ADJUSTABLE FOR WINDAGE & ELEVATION SIGHT RADIUS 12.9" MAGAZINE CAPACITY 10, 15, 17, 20 (9MM) MAGAZINE CAPACITY 10, 11, 14, 17 (.40 S&W) MAGAZINE CAPACITY 8 (.45 ACP)

www.impactguns.com...

its perfect.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
reply to post by drmeola

I'm still aghast. You are very confident and you are probably a better shot than I am, but a .22 is marginally more effective than a BB gun or Airsoft round. Tell you what. I'm going to pose this question on a gun forum I frequent and we'll see what kind of responses we get. I'll post in a day or so.

'Marginally more effective"???

You should just put it to the test.

You get an airsoft gun and all the ammo you want.

You opponent will be standing 50 yards away with a single shot .22 rifle, firing hyper-velocity hollowpoint ammo, shooting at you. You get to fling airsoft rounds at him.

Would you feel comfortable with that?

If you do, you are foolish.

I am not saying that a .22 rimfire is your best bet to hunt bear, but it has been done. I have killed a lot of larger animals with .22 rimfires. The largest was a 1500 lb. Angus steer running away from me at 30 yards, with a .22WRM.

I had an uncle that never used anything but a .22 bolt action repeater for hunting. I saw him take rabbit, deer, grouse and turkey. The birds were taken on the wing. He is said to have taken dove on the wing, but I never witnessed that.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I'm going to cheat by suggesting any one of Rossi's matched sets of interchangeable barrel rifles. There is a little flavor for everyone and they are not complicated mechanical weapons. Single shot, so work on your marksmanship

www.rossiusa.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It is difficult to beat an AR15 with a 16" government profile barrel chambered in 5.56. It is hard to beat the weight and capacity. This is a popular weapon and will have more parts available in a SHTF scenerio. Think of it as a small block Chevy. Also avoid a 223 barrel with a survival riffle. There is nothing wrong with them but a 5.56 will give you more options with ammo. If you have a little extra money use it on a nice red dot site and a cold hammer forged barrel.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Well if I had to choose from just one it would be Beretta CX4 Storm in 45acp
Small and can be packed in to smaller compartments

I have the Hi point 995 in 40s&w its nice but when using cheaper round in jams but it will do for now

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join