It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Seeing as us Brits can't really have a gun, unless you have a Firearms certificate then I'd suggest this site.:

www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk

They do the Steyr Aug type weapon for civilians, ( I suppose it doesn't have full auto), in the event of a SHTF type scenario if you have someone carrying a 2 barrel shotgun , you'd wait till they fire both barrels before rushing them where as someone with what looks like a machinegun you'd run the hell away quickly like?.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OnTheFelt

My wife and I are moving to Kalifornia this fall for work and I've been looking around on ways to bring my guns legal.

For the AR, all you have to do is get a "bullet button" Here. This makes the rest of the "evil features" legal. If the SHTF scenario does happen, you simply put in the old magazine button into the lower and pop in your 30-round magazines like normal.

One thing I'm NOT happy about is having to register my handguns. I have a Glock 23 and 27 and I don't like the idea of letting the state know that I have any guns (considering I own 2 ARs, an M1A, and a Mossberg 500). Anyone know if there is a way around having to register the handguns in that state?

Thanks,
W

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wills120

1) Don't move to KandyKornia.

2) Don't register your guns, and run the risk of imprisonment.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'd take my AK-47. I know, I know... technically speaking it's not a real AK-47 because it's a semi-automatic. I don't care. It has a lot of "pros" that were important to me when I bought it.

Price:
I'm a cheapskate, and a poor one at that. It's a good gun for on a budget.

Firepower:
Nobody questions the power of a 7.62x39 round, especially anyone who's been hit by it. High capacity magazines are common, cheap, and easy to find. So is the ammo itself. Nothing lives near me that this gun can't drop.

Reliability:
I pull the trigger, a bullet comes out. It's easy to clean. It won't complain if I don't have time to clean it. A gun that doesn't shoot is called a club.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
A shotgun would be my pick. Simply because it meets a broader range of survival needs. It can kill the bear, the rattler, etc.. Sawed down may be a good idea. Accuracy is less of an issue. Sure it is not for the long shot. A shotgun is good for close in defense and for any necessary aggression. Generally speaking a spirit has a right to defend itself and protect it's spiritual opportunity in a human life.

posted on Aug, 8 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

Yep, that was my pick over all as well. A rifle, and any caliber there of, needs accuracy as you pointed out; as a long shot.

There are so many variables with the ideology of a long shot. windage, elevation, environment, raining, snowing, low visability, etc.

Also, many don't seem to realize the concept of leading a critter on the move out in the distance. The people expressing the superiority of a long shot need to take into account whether they can effectively lead a moving target.

On top of all that what will your physical condition be??? Myself with a shotgun, given bird, or buck shot will definitely hit what I generally aim at 60 yds away. Even if I'm suffering from severe physical ailments due to the environment. Remember this is a survival situation, and our stamina, coordination, and the like may be severally altered, and impaired. Considering all that, hitting a target at 60yds will prove difficult; let alone the odds of hitting a given target further out.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Shotgun is the only way to go. The reason is if you need to eat you can at least shoot birds rabbits, duck etc. A shot gun will also take down any buck or small animal. I'd like to see you shoot Ducks or Quail with an assault rifle. You gonna get hungry.

The other versatile thing about a shotgun is that you can take various type of ammo, from bird shot to Slugs. You got all the versatility you need for any situation whether it be for food or defense.

In fact you can even fish with it. Throw bait of what ever type close to the side and wait ready when the fish come up to the surface you blast away. They only have to be 1 foot below the surface and you’ll have a hit.

No need for aiming in defense situations point and shoot- if you have someone with you that cannot really shoot well- (aiming in other words) they can even use it. Sure its got a kick, but we here for SURVIVAL remember.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I'd prefer fishing and trapping for catching small game. I'm not too fond of the idea of letting everyone within a mile know where I am with a big thunderous BOOM! just because a pigeon looked tasty.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
I'd prefer fishing and trapping for catching small game. I'm not too fond of the idea of letting everyone within a mile know where I am with a big thunderous BOOM! just because a pigeon looked tasty.

I agree with you onthe part about the shotgun being loud. This serves as a double edged sword since if someone heres the clanking of a pump action 12ga they will very possibly run the other direction but at the same time there is no such thing as discreet when firing off a 12 ga.

On the other hand a lever action 357 is just a little louder than a 22 you could very well get away with firing one off without alerting everything in range.

if only there was a reliable bird shot for a 357 size bullet. Because as the other posters have said good luck trying to shoot a flying bird with anything other than a shotgun. Not with standing trapping but thats a whole other conversation.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ruger 10/22 Cheap ammo, light, can carry a lot of ammo, quiet, accurate.

posted on Aug, 9 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

They do make bird shot rounds for the pistol cartridges, but would you really want the lead fouling your barrel=the lands/grooves?

I've not met too many people that use them; because of the fowling issue.

I agree on the noise aspect of a 12 gauge, but at the same time any high powered fire arm is going to be LOUD.

I'd agree to simply fish, and trap. My survival weapon is just that, the best overall gun; there are many facets to survival, and a person has to be ready overall.

reply to post by xyankee

I'd almost agree with you, but as far as fending off a very hungry bear, it just won't work. You could kill a person attacking you, but it has nothing to actually stop the oncoming assault........no kick back, or knock down.

I love a 10/22, and other than a shotgun would probably go with that.

However, since the lubrication for a 22 is on the outide of the bullet you'd have to keep all your ammo absolutely pristine. Also, there are issues in snow country of the action working correctly............need graphite lubrication in those instances.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
this is what i got and 1,200 rounds of ammo ... i mostly got it for hunting

[edit on 10-8-2009 by NickT916]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
And also a shotgun can shoot. Pepperspray/flair/smoke rounds plus many other diff types of round. That is if u no where to get them. Or I'm sure if you can make your own shells this would be firly easy

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
you guys are nuts, man. theres no way you'll be able to fend off a platoon or even a squad of fully armed soldiers with just a rifle and the comfort of your own home as a cover when they come to knock the door down. only rambo does what rambo can in rambo movies. there wont be any time to group and organize because they're going to hit first with the sirens blaring. best thing for anybody is to gtfo of the country while you still can. mass evacuation of the masses- imagine that. its either the price of a plane ticket and a week of vacationing expenses or your life that you're betting on. me i have gotten the f out to china- know this if nothing comes to event i will be laughing with you while being laughed at but if it does ill be crying alone.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by iknownothingiswear]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Lots of very good suggestins hre for ya, and a few that I don't agree with. But in my business we actually had to eveluate rifles best suited for such a situation that you explained, and our results, after nearly a year of various comparisons, was the Ruger Mini-14.

Now I know that lots of people have a fierce loyalty towards their favorite weapons of choice, and I'm not posting here in order to either start, nor engage in an arguments for or against, but after analyzing all of our results, the Ruger Mini-14 won out for the purest, all around survival rifle.

Please don't confuse my post as saying it's thre "best" rifle around, or the best rifle for war, et cetera. This was to establish the best all around "Survival rifle"

Ruger Mini-14

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
If this is for survival only stay away from crappy built stamped out ak's and the like, they cant hit the broad side of a barn...

For survival there is, not sure the maker, a .222 swift over a 20 gauge shotgun...It is an all in one unit, very portable and extremely effective up to say a deer for the .222 swift and the 20 gauge can bring down a goose if need be.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
over under 223/12 gauge.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This is a very thought provoking thread.

I am prepared for everything I can imagine for both my city townhouse and my ranch. 12 guages for close up work or slugs out to 100 yards. .22's for practice and small game. 7.62 x 39's for intermediate ranges, and the .308 for long range. 9mm pistols for back up and Kel tec sub 2000's in 9mm for concielability.

Not knowing the survival circumstances you will be in, logic dictates you take the one that can do all of the jobs well.

My choice would be the custom M1A Socom with graphite stock and ace ultra lite folding stock. 7lb rifle. I would have a quick detach scope for use on long distance shots and mainly use the excellent sights the rifle came with.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

I would have to say my idea of the perfect rifle would have to be the Winchester Model 1892. It is very accurate and very dependable. If you need a reference to place the rifle just watch Wanted Dead or Alive, although it is a modified version of the rifle it shows the versatility of the weapon.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I would say go with the sks assualt setup 7.62x39 is pretty easy to find and has a pretty good punch but lacks range and im pretty sure that an sks can take a beating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join