It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One survival rifle, count it only 1, yes just one thats it

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

I think shotguns are under estimated relative to assault rifles. residual opinions from old turkey guns. If you can speed load, and have a 8 + 1 capacity like my FNH. slugs in en masse on target would be devastating. lawn sweeper indeed!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

Let me throw in the fact that you have 2 shots with the M6. With a slug in the .410 you have some serious knock down in the 50yd and under range. There are also some specialty home defense multi slug rounds on the market for the .410 which are very nasty at 20yds and under. And the M6 has provision for a scope. I think I've been pretty realistic with this guns capabilities other then the comment about taking out the moose at a 100yds
I figured if other guys were taking out deer at 300yds with a 22 mag I could throw in the moose thing....besides with the compass on my survival knife I could always find my way back home when I give up on tracking down the moose
. I will agree with what you said earlier about a 12g I think it would be a very sensible choice for most people.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryJoy

Let me throw in the fact that you have 2 shots with the M6. With a slug in the .410 you have some serious knock down in the 50yd and under range. There are also some specialty home defense multi slug rounds on the market for the .410 which are very nasty at 20yds and under. And the M6 has provision for a scope. I think I've been pretty realistic with this guns capabilities other then the comment about taking out the moose at a 100yds
I figured if other guys were taking out deer at 300yds with a 22 mag I could throw in the moose thing....besides with the compass on my survival knife I could always find my way back home when I give up on tracking down the moose
. I will agree with what you said earlier about a 12g I think it would be a very sensible choice for most people.

My sarcastic sense of humor doesnt translate well via text. i come across as a dick. My only real point is, one rifle out of any in the world, and you pick that one??

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Has to be a Shotgun.... Easy to clean and ammo is cheap and abundant! Also there are all different types of ammo out there to choose from. When it's time to go... grab a shot gun

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ak47
ANYTIME and EASY choice...
For survival that IS the best choice...Will never fail

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yes, shotguns are definitely underrated for CQB or home defense scenarios unless the invaders are wearing body armor (except flechettes). A 12 ga shotgun slug has as much lead as approx. eight to ten 55 grain 5.56/.223 bullets! Shotguns went mainstream militarily in WWI as "trench guns" and were also used in CQ jungle situations in both WWII and Vietnam.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If I didn't know what was going to happen and could only take one gun? The answer is simple, a FAL. 308, semi automatic with 10 or 20 round mags. All small game can be taken more effectively with traps(made of plain ol trapping wire), and your BOB should be able to hold enough wire for 5+ years of trapping and cost almost no weight or room either. The gun breaks down in about 10 seconds for cleaning, it's accurate, high powered, and would allow for short and long range fighting. It's what any apex predator would pick.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

if you were held up in a building or you could pack up ammo in a vehicle, unless you have a horse?

FAL is heavy and so is its clips, not including the ammo. you couldn't pack 200 plus rounds of ammo with any comfort or extra gear, so you will find yourself quickly without ammo and dragging around a beast that you will throw down, out of exhaustion.

even an AR with its lighter weight is still too clumsy when having to lug around for any real length of time and a couple hundred rounds of ammo in clips.

5.7x 28 or 22 mag is survival perfection at its finest.

but that's just my expert opinion

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Why would I hole up in a building? Anyone can just burn you out and shoot you as you flee. The gun would be used as a last resort if fleeing is not an option. There are no small game that can't be trapped(or large game for that matter). I regularly ruff it in the wild with a FAL and 300 rounds on top of my camping/living equipment and it is not heavy in the least. 90% of all confrontation can be avoided by simply being aware of the surroundings...for other 10%(humans, and large animals) a small caliber rifle can get you killled or put you at such a disadvantage as to be insane. A battle rifle is just that, for battle. It is not made for some specific situation(long range hunting or small game hunting), it is a "jack of all trades" type weapon that can transfer from dense forest to open fields and still be usable in all situations. Staying in a static location within chaos is asking for death. If SHTF, your rifle should never be wasted on game collection as its a waste of time and resources. You can trap 5 animals per day spending no more than 20 min setting, and another 20 min collecting depending on how far away from your trap line you decide to stay. Instead of hunting you can spend almost all your time on protection of yourself/others without wasting one single bullet(or calories). If it gets bad enough, there will always be more people that have no food than you have bullets. Any "fortress" or "castle" can and will be over run by others in time....unless you have a small army that outnumbers all the rest in your area which is unlikely. Good luck hiding all that "wealth" out in the open.

I'm only going by the OP's standard here. An AR type or AK type gun is also useable but they still lack the power that would come in useful from a 308 semi auto(cover penetration wise). I would pick an M-14 if they weren't so expensive.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Ive had inch pattern Fals and Tula Dragunav's amongst many other weapons over the years, and Ive lugged them heavy bastards over hill and dell and finally learned my lessen when it comes to packing light and maximizing efficiency. I'd rather have more useful gear in my pack or on my pack than a bunch of large caliber ammo and clips.

I'm a ridge runner myself, so i know all this stuff pretty intimately, not including having to pack a 16 with a 203 when in the army on maneuvers. lighter means faster and in any situation, you need to move as quickly as possible to set up without slopping and clanking gear around. i prefer taking head shots anyway so 22 mag will devastate a human brain at 200 plus yards no problem, and its going to be harder to detect my position than discharging that 308 cannon

but hey, if that's all you got? then you're in good company

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
in all reality I would prefer several guns, including a small caliber rifle(22lr or magnum). I'm just not convinced that I have enough skill to head shot a bear or moose if it decided to charge me. Heck, I can even see how 22 mag would be an excellent guerilla sniping platform simply due to easy concealment of said gun. It's just that if I have to choose one, I would rather be overpowered than under powered. I'm sure such preference will change as i get older though and my body degrades.Lol.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Shotgun for sure, lots of ammo options to bring down everything from quail to brown bears and it's best for most self defense situations. In a survival situation you don't want a gun that blows small game or fowl into so many pieces that you either couldn't eat it or lose half your meat.

Or you could go this route...he don't need no stinking gun, this guy's amazing.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Get a high powered rifle,so if the mindless thugs storming your safehouse are heavily armored you can blow right through it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Chinese sks with 300 round rotating mag/clip

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wills120

Yeah this guy knows what he is talking about. A good .22 with a decent scope will go a long way. Especially if you have one that takes long rifle and shorts too.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Well, this one would certainly give people pause....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4510a229f59b.jpg[/atsimg]

Or this one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30d4a1db8b6c.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 3-3-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Ok guys.. Instead of all that stuff why not try an "Actual" survival rifle... That doubles as a 410 shotgun.. no mods required

edit on 3-3-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
In my humble opinion a great shtf gun is the kel-tec sub 2000. Its light weight at 4.5 lbs. The most common model is chambered in 9mm and takes glock magazines, there aren't many gun shops that don't carry those items. The 9mm is lethal to 100 yards, you can take down smaller bucks with it no problem for food. Though you don't have the weight advantage like .22LR ammo or the range of a .308, I think it is a good compromise.

Edit: I forgot to mention the rifle folds in half to a very compact size of 16"x7". Also if one prefers it also comes in .40 and different models take magazines from different manufacturers.
edit on 31-5-2011 by wiandiii because: Edited for content, spelling, and grammer.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What the hell, I'll bring back an old thread.

It seems like after reading ALL the posts that.........

20% of the posters didn't read the scenario about picking ONE RIFLE or SHOTGUN (no pistols)
15% of the posters never really have shot a real firearm.
30% feel an AR platform is perfect for everything.
90% of posters interpret "survival" as fending of a hundred armed raiders.

Seriously........

I guess it depends on where you live and what your plans are for surviving. If I lived in Detroit I might pick an AR15 with about 956 loaded magazines.

If I lived in Alaska I would most likely take an over/under in .22LR / .50 BMG (who makes that????)

If I lived in Arizona.....oh wait, I DO. I would pick the ugliest rifle I have that way nobody would want to take it from me.

My Mosin Nagant 91/30 which is 7.62x54r which is very close to a 30.06 and is deadly from the muzzle flash out to farther than I can see.
It has the power to take deer up to moose easily and with style. I know most people would say that it is too ugly to kill anything cleanly but I swear it does.

In my pocket I carry a little plastic box that I ordered from a nice gentleman that says "Hammond game getter"
This is a neat little adapter that can be ordered for most caliber bolt action rifles and it allows you to shoot
round balls made out of 00 buckshot (one shotgun shell gives you 9 balls) and uses the .22 blank used in a power hammer to fire the projectile. Velocities range from 600 fps. to 1025 fps depending on which load you use (#1 - #4)

Accuracy was great and that would allow me to take small game with a large caliber rifle.

It's like having a 30.06 rifle & one chambered in .38 all in the same rifle.

They can be ordered for 101 different calibers and wildcats upon request he says.
No, I don't work for him or am affiliated in anyway, just a happy customer.
And the dude was super nice.

So there you have my answer: A Mosin Nagant 91/30

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
12 gauge shotgun. mines a double barrel coachgun.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join