It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Apple tried to silence owner of exploding iPod with gagging order

technology.timesonline.co.uk

Apple attempted to silence a father and daughter with a gagging order after the child’s iPod music player exploded and the family sought a refund from the company.

The Times has learnt that the company would offer the family a full refund only if they were willing to sign a settlement form. The proposed agreement left them open to legal action if they ever disclosed the terms of the settlement.

The case echoes previous circumstances in which Apple attempted to hush up incidents when its devices overheated.

Ken Stanborough of Liverpool, England, said he dropped his 11-year-old daughter Ellie’s iPod Touch last month.

“It made a hissing noise,” he said. “I could feel it getting hotter in my hand, and I thought I could see vapor." Stanborough said he threw the device out of his back door. "Within 30 seconds there was a pop, a big puff of smoke and it went 10 feet in the air," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

[edit on 2009/8/3 by TLomon]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A lot of people have iPods. My wife has one. For an iPod to explode like that - it make me wonder. What exactly causes an electronic device to pop like that?

I am mostly concerned because my wife is a clutz and I can totally see her dropping hers. Something that volitile could smack one of my kids in the face or something.

technology.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
There have been quite a few of these Iphone catching fire storys around the net lately I saw one just the other day where an Iphone 3g had set fire to a car seat.

I've never been much of a fan of Apple fan personally but I figure if people like macs let them use them if it makes life easier for them it's a good thing, I would never buy an Ipod though just based on the sound quality. My recommendations are Cowon and Samsung for music players.

I think it's a fact of life some battery's are going to explode but this has been happening way to often lately and covering it up is a very dodgy move I wonder how many suspect battery's are in the wild.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Remember all the stories about exploding laptop batteries......

Well, many of thoase were manufactured by Sony.......

So it seems that they still may have exploding battery issues.....

It seems the issues for Sony just won't end...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Poor kids, somebody at the shipping depot got the James Bond editions mixed up with the civilian versions.

This is crazy, what is astounding is that they are trying to cover it up, instead of letting people know that the iPod could pose a risk to your health, of course they are a major corporation so I wouldn't put it past them to do this.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
A recall would be extremely costly. Trying to get the device back (give a full refund) while they investigate exactly what is wrong definitely seems to be a corporate methodology.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
IM upheld and in awe over APPLE going as far as to go so low, allowing others to get badly burned, go deaf, so they can make a buck...
hope this gets alot of media attention! I will certainly never be buying anyting apple after hearing of this

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Out of the hundreds of millions of iPods & iPhones sold, a handful have malfunctioned.

Wow, what a REAL threat (sarcasm).

Get off your high horses, guys... things happen. I feel bad for Apple, having put so much effort into making these things more affordable, only to have it backlash in your face over a couple of unfortunate incidents.

Let's recall all motor vehicles, because they have a higher chance of exploding than an iPod in a matter-on-matter collision! (again, sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

Ok, lets assume , as you say, very few did this...

If and I mean, "IF" this is true, why not immediatly replace the unit and give a dozen itunes downloads as a sorry for the incident.

Now think, if it were you, would you not be much happier with Sony if they only wanted to make it right for you, instead of covering their rear's.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Totally off topic but....

Why would an 11 year old girl have an ITouch? What is wrong with us!?!

This will be the same people who's mortgage they will want me to fund when they can't pay it.

Pathetic.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon
A lot of people have iPods. My wife has one. For an iPod to explode like that - it make me wonder. What exactly causes an electronic device to pop like that?

The exact reaction that generates the electrons varies, depending on the type of battery. In a lithium-ion battery, you'll find pressurized containers that house a coil of metal and a flammable, lithium-containing liquid. The manufacturing process creates tiny pieces of metal that float in the liquid. Manufacturers can't completely prevent these metal fragments, but good manufacturing techniques limit their size and number. The cells of a lithium-ion battery also contain separators that keep the anodes and cathodes, or positive and negative poles, from touching each other.

If the battery gets hot through use or recharging, the pieces of metal can move around, much like grains of rice in a pot of water. If a piece of metal gets too close to the separator, it can puncture the separator and cause a short circuit. There are a few possible scenarios for what can go wrong in the case of a short circuit:

* If it creates a spark, the flammable liquid can ignite, causing a fire.
* If it causes the temperature inside the battery to rise rapidly, the battery can explode due to the increased pressure.
* If it causes the temperature to rise slowly, the battery can melt, and the liquid inside can leak out.

link

That's a long quote but it looks like a good explanation.

So in short people are carrying a pressurised container of flammable liquid - quite often right by their crutch! And it would of all been produced on a production line where getting cost per unit down as low as possible is a major consideration.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Star for you, Now_Then. That is exactly what my sidebar question was asking. Wow. And we hold this stuff near our bodies? Go fig.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

It's not bad enough they know this occurs, but....

Sonies only concern, IMO, is protecting their image.
I.E., not letting the truth of their products and their responces to them get out.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
Totally off topic but....

Why would an 11 year old girl have an ITouch? What is wrong with us!?!

This will be the same people who's mortgage they will want me to fund when they can't pay it.

Pathetic.

What are you talking about? An iTouch cost as much as a PSP.

My 11 yo has an iPodTouch as well... because he wasn't getting an iphone :-)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon

I can't say for sure but I can speculate.

Take a look at these battery recalls:

www.cpsc.gov...
support.dell.com...
www-307.ibm.com...

Laptop and notebook PC batteries can carry a lot of energy so when they overheat and "pop" they can cause real problems. I suspect that's why they get involved in recalls.

Smaller devices like iPods have batteries too which could overheat and cause problems, however, the smaller batteries carry much less energy than a larger battery like a laptop battery. Therefore the risk is probably smaller proportional to the smaller size of the battery.

I suspect the cause of most of these is a short in the battery. What causes the short could depend partly on the battery design, but dropping the battery is not good for it and could possibly lead to shorts.

join