It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 26 hurt as airliner hits turbulence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   

At least 26 hurt as airliner hits turbulence

www.cnn.com

Severe turbulence shook a Continental Airlines flight Monday, injuring 26 passengers -- four seriously -- and forcing the aircraft to divert to Miami, Florida, an airport fire official said.

The Boeing 767 hit turbulence about 50 miles north of the Dominican Republic at about 38,000 feet, according to an official with the Federal Aviation Administration.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.miamiherald.com
www.latimes.com
www.necn.com
www.tcpalm.com

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is weird. Don't airlines usually warn the passengers to buckle up before heading into turbulence. These passengers must not have been buckled. I wonder if any other planes in the area were effected by this severe weather. Planes hit turbulence all the time and come out fine, so this had to be REALLY strong.

This, I think, should be investigated.

www.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117

This is weird. Don't airlines usually warn the passengers to buckle up before heading into turbulence. These passengers must not have been buckled. I wonder if any other planes in the area were effected by this severe weather. Planes hit turbulence all the time and come out fine, so this had to be REALLY strong.

This, I think, should be investigated.

www.cnn.com

I didn't read the article yet, but there is such a thing as "clear air turbulence." There is no way to warn the passengers about this. A flight to Hawaii encountered this a couple of years ago and a passenger was actually thrown against the roof of the cabin area!!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
OMG!!!111 not ANOTHER plane nearly crashing!

i will NEVER fly BOEING! they get bounced around!!111eleven

on a serious note , its possible it could be clear air turbulance - this does happen and with no warning , as it can`t be seen on the radar.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
OMG!!!111 not ANOTHER plane nearly crashing!

i will NEVER fly BOEING! they get bounced around!!111eleven

on a serious note , its possible it could be clear air turbulance - this does happen and with no warning , as it can`t be seen on the radar.

So

A) You do not have an entertaining molecule in your body.
B) Please don't poke fun at planes crashing, would be a shame if someone you knew was on one, falling 45seconds knowing there are going to die...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Personally:

I think pretty soon there won't be any planes in the air. At least not Boeings!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Care to explain why you feel that way?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gatorboi117
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Care to explain why you feel that way?

Well for one thing, the airline industry is a very small number of businesses, many of which are losing money. Second of all, with swine flu and terrorism being NWO alibis, one thing they're gonna want to do is shut down the airlines.

Also, oil is phasing out, and from what I know, an electric airplane is not near on the horizon (lol, literal).

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

epic fail

go troll somewhere else on your own time

its amazingly obvious you have no clue as to the comments in the AF447 thread - all of which were far greater and blamed france , airbus and islamics for the deaths of those on board

and many many people swore they wouldn`t fly `unsafe` airbus again

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Personally:

I think pretty soon there won't be any planes in the air. At least not Boeings!

You guys are so funny. I'm currently going through FAA Training to fly 767's. The airline industry isn't going anywhere. Never will. FedEX relies on Boeing for their planes, which transports quite a bit of our mail. Also, FedEx happens to have one of the largest fleets of aircraft in the industry.

Turbulence happens, nothing we can do. Fact of the matter is, Boeing has a very small margin of error with their planes. There has not been many Boeing made aircraft that have fallen from the sky, compared to the number of auto accidents, and other malfunctions in cars.

Boeing has been around for nearly 100 years. 1916, I believe was when the company started. Founded by William Boeing.

Boeing is also the number one provider in national defense aircraft for the United States Government. In addition to LockHeed Martin, Pratt & Whitney, and Northrop Grumman. What would we do without Boeing? Seriously.

All in all, companies have no control over weather patterns.

As for terrorism and oil, the Aeronautics industry has always had a very fluctuated economy. People will always use means of flight for getting place to place, and we will always use flight travel for overnight mail. We are in a society what will and must adapt to airtravel, period.

Look at it this way, you step outside of your home, you have a risk of getting robed, killed, hit by a moving vehicle, but that doesn't prevent you from going outside does it? Same with flying. I predict in the next 5 years, there will be twice as many aircraft in the sky as there are today.

Read here: www.boeing.com...

As you can see, the industry is growing.

My .02 cents.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by xps9000]

top topics

join