It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. condemns eviction of Arab families from East Jerusalem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Two Palestinian Families Kicked Out of There House to Make Place For Israeli Families

www.haaretz.com

U.S. condemns eviction of Arab families from East Jerusalem

The United States and the United Nations sharply condemned the eviction of two Palestinian families from their homes in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah and their replacement with Jewish families on Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited true headline into title.

BAN rules:

Headline: You must use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inapporpriate, explain why you think it is so in your submission comments.

[edit on 3/8/09 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Where-oh-where is all the Palestinian hatred coming from? Personally, I would be furious if this would have happened to my family and I'm pretty sure all the Israel fanboys wouldn't give up their houses easily either.

Action reaction. They are making the lives of moderate Palestinians a living hell and they are wondering why there's something like Palestinian terrorism. Although terrorist acts cannot be justified, I do understand the despair of these people. The Israeli government is taking more and more and hiding behind the excuse that all Palestinians want them dead.

Very nice that the US condemns this crime, but without any solid action, nothing will change.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
...and still the US government keep on signing the cheques for Israel!

This happens a lot but rarely gets reported. They use other little tricks too, like limiting the water supply to the West Bank Palestinians, whilst the Jewish Israeli settlements display well sprinkled lawns and swimming pools. Of course, by pointing out these things we are now guilty of hate crimes and should be locked up - but it's about time the general public were made aware of these issues, instead of the heavily biased news, or more often complete lack of any news that shows Israel in a less than favourable light.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I saw this on the news late last night and it was heartbreaking to see the children crying and just not really understanding why it was happening. They weren't allowed to take anything from their homes and had to watch all their belongings being packed up and taken to who knows where. The reporter was even reporting how they were hearing the police taunting the families.

These families have documents going back 40 or 50 years to say that they were given the houses by the UN. If they belonged to the UN in the first place why aren't they doing anything about this? Why does it seem that Israel can get away with so much? An spokesperson commented that they wanted to unite all of Jerusalem and that they have every right to do so.

I don't condone terrorism in the slightest but how can they not see that by taking everything away from people then those people have nothing left to lose? People with nothing to lose can become very dangerous. Are they trying to provoke something here or is it as someone posted above and this goes on all the time?

Before someone comes and says this talk is anti-Jewish let me just say that I find this behaviour a disgusting way to treat another human being regardless of race, nationality, religion, etc. It's so very sad that even in the 21st century we simply don't seem able to see each other as human beings above all else.

Edit to add that I just clicked to watch the YouTube video above and it was the same news report I watched last night. The piece I forgot to mention was how they were stopping the UN representatives from going in to monitor the situation and what will the UN do about any of it?

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Maya00a]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
i`ll wait for the pro-zionist israel lovers to come in and declare those children are in fact terrorists and deserve this

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
i`ll wait for the pro-zionist israel lovers to come in and declare those children are in fact terrorists and deserve this

Exactly why I put my 'disclaimer' in my post - I'd be saying the same thing if it were the other way around. My comments refer to the situation as I see it and are nothing to do with being anti Israeli or Jewish.

However, I fully expected that would be the response sooner or later from some people that comment on this thread and they must wake up and realise that more and more people aren't buying into that line anymore!

These people were given the houses by the UN and Jordan in 1956 so what gives Israel the right to take them away now?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
This is a clear and deliberate act - the US is making all kinds of overtures to the Israelis regarding settlements - Israel is simply saying FCK U America -

Any person who continues to support Israel is anti-American PURE AND SIMPLE.....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

The settlement groups finance comes from religious groups in the United States, who are independented of the US government.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
I saw this on the news late last night and it was heartbreaking to see the children crying and just not really understanding why it was happening. They weren't allowed to take anything from their homes and had to watch all their belongings being packed up and taken to who knows where. The reporter was even reporting how they were hearing the police taunting the families.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Maya00a]

omg how sad
and to think they can be so cold hearted even as the Germans did the same to their people only 65 years ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Originally posted by Britguy

The settlement groups finance comes from religious groups in the United States, who are independented of the US government.

Lies -

Is it 7 million a day ?
www.ifamericansknew.org...

IS it 1.3 trillion ?
www.csmonitor.com...

IS it $23,240 per American ?
www.wrmea.com...

Or any of the other 12 million returns from Google will prove you lie.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It's great that the US is finally saying something, anything at all

On that count alone, I rate Obama more highly now than when he was elected

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
It's great that the US is finally saying something, anything at all

On that count alone, I rate Obama more highly now than when he was elected

It's nothing more than an American sweetener to down down criticism on the US by pretty much the entire for its policy on Israel. In fact, it doesn't really hurt Israel and they can simply continue with these practices without any American pressure.

There is somewhat similar scenario with the UK. After the Gaza War, they told Israel that certain parts for military helicopters will not be sold to them anymore as some kind of objection against operation Cast Lead. But what did they do? They only put a ban on the specific parts that can be easily obtained from other countries such as Italy. The vital parts have not been banned and can still be bought by Israel from the UK. This was a very smart political move pretending to the people the UK's disagreement while it didn't really hurt Israel.

Get the picture?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Okay folks, here's a reality check for all of you who are jumping up and down and frothing at the mouth.

This was a property dispute, which has been going on since 1929, and the evictions were the result of two separate Israeli Supreme Court rulings in favour of the property's lawful owners, who were Jewish. The owners even re-bought the property from the occupants, who later reneged on the deal following pressure from the Palestinian Authority.

That the media and UN have turned it into a major international event is telling in itself. Particularly when on the same day two gay support group workers were shot dead in Tel'Aviv and there wasn't even a whisper about that in the international press.

Two questions:

1) Do you disagree with the Supreme Court rulings? If so, investigate the details of the case and point out where it was unjust.

2) If not, then do you disagree with the police implementing the rule of law?

For those that can be bothered to learn a bit more about the context, the Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs website has a detailed background piece on the Sheikh Jarrah-Shimon HaTzadik Neighborhood.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

From the Haaretz article:

"I deplore today's totally unacceptable actions by Israel, in which Israeli security forces evicted Palestinian refugee families registered with UNRWA from their homes in the Arab neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah in East Jerusalem to allow settlers to take possession of these properties," Serry said in a statement. "These actions are contrary to the provisions of the Geneva Conventions related to occupied territory. They also contravene the united calls of the international community, including the Quartet's, which in its recent statement urged the Government of Israel to refrain from provocative actions in East Jerusalem, including house demolitions and evictions. The UN rejects Israeli claims that this is a local matter dealt with by the courts." Serry added the move undermined efforts at reaching a peace deal.

The British consulate also issued a statement condemning the move, saying that the evacuation and other such moves come in contrast to Israel's declarations regarding its desire to achieve peace with the Palestinians. The British statement also called on Israel not to allow extremists to control the government's agenda.

The eviction was also slammed by the Jerusalem organization Ir Amim.

"Israel must consider the future implications of the move, which allows Jews to claim rights over property dating back to before 1948, but prevents the execution of the same rights by Palestinian residents. A re-opening of all ownership cases by Palestinians and Jews in Jerusalem could place Israel in an impossible situation in the city," a statement from Ir Amim said.

In accordance to your theory, Israel should give back many many properties and plots that have been taken, but wait... Palestinians are not allowed to execute that right.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

The figures you quote are American defence contracts financed to the IDF. It is military aid - read your own links. None of the money goes directly to settlement or Jewish extremist groups.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Ok, enough of the feel sorry for me sillyness and now the truth.....

Have any of you bothered to reead the article??????????????

It wass "NOT" their homes, here that, it was NOT their homes........

They wer being allowed to live their for a time out of Isreals over generous nature.

When the owner says you broke the rules, you have to go.......

It is sad that people are being displaced, but it happens in every country every day......

It is only an issue because it is coming from the anti-Jewish/Isreal crowd pro anthing anti-jewish crowd.

Finally, if they don't like it in Isreal, they are free to move top any other country in the M.E. that will have them............

This would be no different than removing to illegal mexican families from california and placing American citizens in the "government" owned homes.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

What I saw appeared to be very sad indeed. You say it is a property dispute from 1929 and that it has gone before the Supreme Court in Israel? I am going to have to delve in the case a little further to make any kind of opinion on who is in the right and who is in the wrong. Moreover, if what you say is true how hard would it be for Al Jazeera to accompany their piece with say the court documents concerning this case and incite from the attorneys involved on both sides? I'm pretty sure all records pertaining to the case would be available in the public court record in Israel, if it has in fact, gone before the court in the past.

However, I think this report is crafted in a way to garner anger and ill sentiment from the viewers who are largely Arab? Lets make no mistake, the Arabs are Al Jazeera's main audience and they have been guilty of showing only one side of the story on many of occasions. If they call themselves professional journalists then it is their duty to show both sides of the story and let the chips fall where they may. Lets wait and see if there is more information available before we jump to conclusions. However, any eviction is sad no matter what the legal status is, but there is a law that must be followed.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

What about Indian families allowing to exercise the right to remove you from your house. Sounds to me like a good idea as you agree with such practices. All they would have to do is simply make up a document to prove the land is theirs. Mr Monsoon, your ideas are once again ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Seem to me they were treated more than kindly.

They were given a home to live in for a number of years....

Now they can go find their own place and allow others to have that same privlige-don't you thin that is fair??

Or is it because Jews are being give a chance insted of Gazan's living in Isreal, that makes it not ok for you???

How very unfair of you, imo.

You should be celibrating that various peoples are given such opportunites from Isrealies to Gazan's......

How very open minded of Isreal.

I wonder what Muslim country would provide housing for jewish family displaced ?????

Yeah, thats what I thought.

But lets open this up to the real topic, eh?

In every country in the world, people, what would be your choice?

To have your governmment house citizens of your country in homes

or

Keep your citizens homeless and have foreigners live in homes while your citizens are homeless????

And for anyone who disagree's, would "YOU" be willing to give up your home for others to live in?

[edit on 8/3/2009 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Hello. This was posted previously but moved from the breaking news forum into the Middle East Issues forum so it would not be fair to let a newer thread remain.

Please contribute to the ongoing discussion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank You. Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join