It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the East Coast colder than the West?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
This is true every year folks.

Anyway, the west coast has consistent cooler temperatures in summer while the east coast is very warm in the summer, but in the winter, the east coast is very different near the coast, and away from the coast, and in mountains, and in valleys. Why is the east coast so much cooler in winter than the west?

here is an example of San francisco Ca, and Virginia Beach VA in summer and winter

its basically the same latitude. 37*N and same elevation

Virginia Beach Summer www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNTU/2009/7/3/MonthlyHistory.html

You can see the average temperature is 76 and avg high of 84

San francisco summer www.wunderground.com...

You can see the difference in the temperatures 61 avg and 65 high avg.. WTF??

and check out the winters

Virginia beach winter www.wunderground.com...

avg 38 and avg high 46.. and minimum minimum is 16 and it snows on the coast

san francisco winter www.wunderground.com...

avg 52 and high avg 59. with minimum minimum being 33..

i live in san jose near sf and i wanted to know why the weather in all of the west coast sucks ass.. crap winters and crap summers

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
It has to do with the rotation of the Earth. The West Coast is moderated in temperature by the ocean, because the oceanic influence flows from west to east (like the Earth's rotation).

The East Coast has a continental climate, because the oceanic influence does not flow there.

Thus, winter on the West Coast is very mild (indeed, a winter in Portland, Oregon is about as mild as a winter in Birmingham, Alabama, and even a Seattle winter is at least as mild as a DC winter), while the East Coast freezes their behinds off in their Midwestern continental climate.

At the same time, the East Coast gets a hot, muggy summer, while the West Coast gets a more moderated dry summer (though it can still also be really hot).

El Nino is happening right now, and that makes temperatures in western North America especially high.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko is correct- ocean currents play a major role in the temperature differences. Here are some links:
Gulf Stream
Ocean Motion
Coastal Oceanographic Influences

[edit on 3/8/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
It has to do with the rotation of the Earth. The West Coast is moderated in temperature by the ocean, because the oceanic influence flows from west to east (like the Earth's rotation).

The East Coast has a continental climate, because the oceanic influence does not flow there.

Thus, winter on the West Coast is very mild (indeed, a winter in Portland, Oregon is about as mild as a winter in Birmingham, Alabama, and even a Seattle winter is at least as mild as a DC winter), while the East Coast freezes their behinds off in their Midwestern continental climate.

At the same time, the East Coast gets a hot, muggy summer, while the West Coast gets a more moderated dry summer (though it can still also be really hot).

El Nino is happening right now, and that makes temperatures in western North America especially high.

thanks for that. i always wanted to know
[edit on 3-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me. I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and we have had 5 drownings in the ocean here this year alone.

Is there something strange going on with currents this year because all of them have been caught in the current and gone except for one man who was trying to save his son who got caught in a current. He managed to save his son but drowned himself in the process.

I don't remember there being this many drownings in one summer.

And we have had less tourist this year not more. So it really makes no sense.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Strictsum]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Cause the people on the east coast are cooler.

Duh.

new topics

top topics

join