It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers grow teeth in mice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Researchers grow teeth in mice

www.news.com.au

JAPANESE researchers have successfully implanted bio-engineered seed-like tissue into the jaws of mice, growing new teeth for the rodents, according to a study published today.

The study, presented in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences demonstrates a technique that could be used to replace other organs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I'm not medically trained, so how significant is this result?

Will it mean that some day we'll be able to have replacement organs grown - for a price?

There's no stopping human curiosity and inventiveness, which is cool. Although somehow I feel there might be a point where we shouldn't push too far. It's kind of like playing with life itself would transform us into a different type of cyber-human-being.

Anyway, for now it's only the mice that are suffering, so unless you're a PETA person, they're just vermin.

www.news.com.au

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Weren't Canadians able to grow teeth without implantation of any kind?

two lines

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Anyway, for now it's only the mice that are suffering, so unless you're a PETA person, they're just vermin.

www.news.com.au

K dude, I lost respect for you here. How insensitive, mice are pretty smart creatures.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

www.news.com.au

K dude, I lost respect for you here. How insensitive, mice are pretty smart creatures.

Would you rather they tested it on humans, i just lost respect for you.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Ha! I kind of meant it sarcastically, so it wouldn't have translated well on the screen.

Consider it this way... humans will experiment, no matter what. Look what happened in the NAZI camps with the psycho doctors...

Given that humans will tinker with life itself, I'd rather they do it on mice, instead of other humans.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by allsop

www.news.com.au

The mice are bred for the sole purpose of being experimented on, whether they are entitled to or capable of realising what 'quality of life' is, is debatable, however it is still pretty safe to assume that they do not have much quality, they are simply blessed with a limited frame of reference to compare that experience to. Their whole life is to serve to prolong human life as a live growth medium. No one would say that they would rather these experiments are conducted on humans, that does not make it right to use 'dumb animals'.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by coodeytar]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Ha! I kind of meant it sarcastically, so it wouldn't have translated well on the screen.

Consider it this way... humans will experiment, no matter what. Look what happened in the NAZI camps with the psycho doctors...

Given that humans will tinker with life itself, I'd rather they do it on mice, instead of other humans.

Ah okay. Respect regained.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by allsop

www.news.com.au

Of course not. It's not that, it's calling mice nothing but vermin. But he meant it sarcastically, so all is cool.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I've been reading about organs being grown in labs for the past 5 years but I dont see this in people ever!!!!! Dentists will lose billions if they implement this, so it has no shot for now

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I've been reading about organs being grown in labs for the past 5 years but I dont see this in people ever!!!!! Dentists will lose billions if they implement this, so it has no shot for now

Why would you think this?

Who do you think is going to make money off of this procedure? DENTISTS YOU SILLY NILLY!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

two lines

yup, just gotta buy one of those cheap meds they sell and enjoy your extra body parts

@ OP, what is the point of this thread? It was on Sci&tech, so I assumed the thread would be of scientific character, but instead, I find a person complaining about science going to far. What proof do you have that these mice are suffering? How is a tooth growing bacteria making us cyber-human?

Or did you only want to discuss about the future of humankind given these achivements? If so, very poor choice of words in your follow up post.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

www.sciencedaily.com...

yes, the LIPUS treatment. i have yet to see a widely available application, though, even though it was scheduled for release this year.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Dentists will lose billions if they implement this, so it has no shot for now

Actually, no. Dentists can charge lots of $$$ for every implantation.

Weston Price. That name will cost dentists billions if the masses hear of it.

But the masses are dumb so no biggie.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Does anyone have any idea how long roughly before they'd be able or are willing to try/use it on human subjects?

new topics

top topics

join