It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The $125 Million Chopper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
August 1, 2009: South Korea has ordered eight American MH-60S naval helicopters. Called the Knighthawk, the MH-60S is based on the UH-60 Blackhawk. The first navalized version of the UH-60 was the SH-60B Seahawk. South Korea is buying the MH-60S choppers, plus spare parts, technical support, and the latest gear for detecting and clearing naval mines from the air. This will run the cost per helicopter up to about $125 million..

It was only two years ago that first export sale, to Thailand, took place. The MH-60S entered service seven years ago. Currently, the U.S. Navy is using over a hundred of them, and expects to have 237 by 2011. The MH-60S was designed to replace existing 11 ton, 1960s era, CH-46D helicopters. The ten ton MH-60S is superior to the older CH-46D in most ways (load, range, speed, reliability), but is smaller, so it can use the landing pads on destroyers and frigates. The navalized versions of the UH-60 are more expensive because of anti-corrosion features (salt water rusts unprotected metal and damages other components), more powerful engines, folding blades, a hoist system, more advanced electronics and numerous other changes.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Golden Generic

The Only Real Problem I Have With The Military Is ( Correct Me If Im Wrong ) We Spend WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY Too Much Money On Things We Don't Need . But Atleast We Making Sum Of That Paper Back By Sellin That Stuff To Other Countrys

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Sounds fascinating. I wish I had one of those.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Golden Generic

What are the differences between the normal and the navalized version?

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudDominicanAmerican

I agree with you that the government spends way way too much money on things around here.

new topics

top topics

join