It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist hunts for acid-spitting Mongolian death worm

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
reply to post by pause4thought

I think that it's highly possible that it is a caecilian. Dangerous? Dunno.

Mongolia is one of those areas where the wildlife is still being discovered, and I can see many ground-dwellers being neglected by modern taxonomy.

If there is water, there can be amphibians. If there are no predators and a great food source, there can be large amphibians.

Never stick your hand down a hole that could be occupied, kids. Not a good idea, even if the animals could he harmless. At the very least the organism would sense a disturbance or human scent later on and will abandon it's burrow. At the worst, you could be injured by something venomous and die.

Agreed, The whole area is still being discovered with wildlife. The things that confuses me is that woulden't someone would of taken a picture of the worm? Or are cameras not popular in Mongolia? Seriously the amount of tourist's and/or civilians that probally have been to the desert woulden't any of them have gotten a picture of the worm, or atleast found its dwelling place?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
I think monster quest or someother show did a really lame show on those worms and came up with NADA.
it was one of the lamest shows ive seen

Regular animal quest.........I mean Monster quest is a joke...

Seriously .... they lack any cred.....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Mongolian Death Worm

Even looks like Tremors

The Mongolian Death Worm is a cryptid purported to exist in the Gobi Desert. It is generally considered a cryptozoological creature; one whose sightings and reports are disputed or unconfirmed.

It is described as a bright red worm with a wide body that is 0.6 to 1.5 meters (2 to 5 feet) long. In general, scientists reject the possibility that such mega-fauna cryptids exist, because of the improbably large numbers necessary to maintain a breeding population[1] and because climate and food supply issues make their survival in reported habitats unlikely.

The local name is allghoi, which means "blood filled intestine worm" because it is reported to look like the intestine of a cow. It is the subject of a number of extraordinary claims by Mongolian locals—such as the ability of the worm to spew forth sulfuric acid that, on contact, will turn anything it touches yellow and corroded (which would kill a human), and its purported ability to kill at a distance by means of electric discharge.

theunexplainedmysteries.com...

In Search of the Mongolian Death Worm
www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

[edit on 3-8-2009 by zorgon]

Actually looks like a Ga'ould from Stargate SG-1.......

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

SHHHHH Don't drag that 'worm' into this... you will frighten the children

But you know... I never did mention that 'over there'
Thanks for the reminder

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Too bad that first picture is a modified Whelk Egg Case.

pinker.wjh.harvard.edu...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd047181d04b.jpg[/atsimg]

Unfortunate.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Unfortunate.

Yeah I kinda figured that image was 'doctored'. The ancient drawing might be as well. It so hard these days with all the pranksters out there... but until we catch one... its all we have

Still its a great legend... And I always like Dune

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The drawing looks like something even I could make in Photoshop....

I was kind of surprised no one picked up that it was a whelk egg case. Sometimes identifying ordinary materials that are used to make hoaxes is a really good skill to have.

So now we all know for next time. Riiiiight?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I've been hearing about the Mongolian Death Worm for ages and would love for someone to bet good video of one.

I don't believe that the shoot lightening out their butts.

However, the may spit venom like a spitting cobra, blinding their victim before they administer the coup DE gras.

Hopefully they'll find one.

It would also make sense if they were attracted to tremors...Think about someone walking in the desert near them... Potential meal right above me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I imagine it would look like this, only red and bigger.

Caecilian

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So now we all know for next time. Riiiiight?

Only one answer to that..

Star Wars Worms

Carry on

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
It would also make sense if they were attracted to tremors...Think about someone walking in the desert near them... Potential meal right above me.

Speaking of meals and worms...

Antlion

Its a good thing for us things on Earth are smaller scale

[edit on 20-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Giant Centipede Eviscerates Mouse

Giant Centipede vs Tarantula

I want some of these for the garden

[edit on 20-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
All I can say is they better be darned careful !!

These things are NASTY !!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

I like his rec room

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by visible_villain

I like his rec room

The elephant gun ain't bad either !

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
????

Ive heard alot about this worm, but has anybody actually claimed to have came face to face with it??? Or even actually seen it???

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by duble0peter

Very much so! Check out the videos in this thread, some of which contain ample eye-witness testimony.

This beast is far from a joke. It has terrorized whole communities living in the Gobi...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Flagged just for the title! ATS at its best. Here's a documentary that includes eye-witness testimony. Pretty serious stuff: YouTube Link YouTube Link

Those guys who made those videos are the worst scientists I've ever seen. They present no scientific facts about any of the family of animals they presume it could be. Worm or reptile.

How did these guys get funding to make a "science" video? They aren't even amature zoologists. I could do better than that with what I have barely remembered in my head. Ug. The luck.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I agree, the Caecilian is a good candidate. The descriptions of a segmented worm red in colour and with a yellow lateral stripe certainly look like it could be a Caecilian.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d6fbd58662af.jpg[/atsimg]

Like other living amphibians, the skin contains glands that secrete a toxin to deter predators

That is certainly a trait the death worm is said to have.

highly adapted for a burrowing lifestyle
a good reason that they are hard to find what with the Gobi dessert being so big and all.

All caecilians possess a pair of tentacles, located between their eyes and nostrils.
source

Again this is a trait the DW is said to have....

It wouldn't surprise me at all to have a venom spitting variety in Mongolia or indeed a variety that was able to squirt blood from an eye socket like some Horned Lizards are able to do.

For me the MDW is the most likely of all cryptids to exist.

Beast Hunter on Nat Geo did a good show on the death worm, his approach is scientific and the series has been very very good. Plus he's hot

edit on 22/6/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join