It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist hunts for acid-spitting Mongolian death worm

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Journalist hunts for acid-spitting Mongolian death worm

www.news.com.au

The worm- allegedly found in the country's Gobi Desert- has never been documented but locals strongly believe it exists.
The worm- about 1.5m long- apparently jumps out of the sand and kills people by spitting concentrated acid or shooting lightning from its rectum over long distances.
New Zealand resident and journalist David Farrier will spend two weeks trying to verify the worm's existence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Wow
"kills people by spitting concentrated acid or shooting lightning from its rectum over long distances."
This is the stuff movie's are made of.

However, the New Zealand team planned to bring the worm to the surface with explosives, as it is said to be attracted to tremors.
Farrier said "I have no intention of grabbing it, capturing it, stuffing it, or anything like that. I just want to prove its existence and if I can get it on film, that's all I need to do."

Zelong.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
That's one expedition I wouldn't volunteer for. I mean lighting from the rectum, what could be worse?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I can see it being some sort of acid-spitting snake or worm-creature, however I am having a hard time picturing anyone getting electrocuted at a distance by any desert creature's rectum.

It may shock you if you touch it though, similar to some sea creatures.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
That's one expedition I wouldn't volunteer for. I mean lighting from the rectum, what could be worse?

Africanized Bees from it's rectum would be worse.

-

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
They had me going until lightning shot out of it's butt.

Oh well, hope they find something interesting, whether it's the worm or not.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I would probably recommend that this particular worm stay away from Indian food, Mexican food, or anything that would induce "montezumas revenge"!

Heaven forbid you run across this lil guy in your garden after hes gotten in to the ol pepper batch!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
So the worm is attracted to tremors...

I think Kevin Bacon has some experience in this area.

Haha, but seriously: Cool if it is real, I don't think I would want to capture it or, potentially, bring dozens to the surface.

Also, I don't know if anyone else here ever played Diablo 2 but, damn.

edit:

Photograph of the current expidition:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/af837ba203829583.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 8/3/0909 by spines]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I think monster quest or someother show did a really lame show on those worms and came up with NADA.
it was one of the lamest shows ive seen

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Explosions... tremors... acid spitting worms leaping out of the ground...

sounds like the plot to TREMORS

www.hulu.com...

[edit on 3-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Mongolian Death Worm

Even looks like Tremors

The Mongolian Death Worm is a cryptid purported to exist in the Gobi Desert. It is generally considered a cryptozoological creature; one whose sightings and reports are disputed or unconfirmed.

It is described as a bright red worm with a wide body that is 0.6 to 1.5 meters (2 to 5 feet) long. In general, scientists reject the possibility that such mega-fauna cryptids exist, because of the improbably large numbers necessary to maintain a breeding population[1] and because climate and food supply issues make their survival in reported habitats unlikely.

The local name is allghoi, which means "blood filled intestine worm" because it is reported to look like the intestine of a cow. It is the subject of a number of extraordinary claims by Mongolian locals—such as the ability of the worm to spew forth sulfuric acid that, on contact, will turn anything it touches yellow and corroded (which would kill a human), and its purported ability to kill at a distance by means of electric discharge.

theunexplainedmysteries.com...

In Search of the Mongolian Death Worm
www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Great find zorgon
,I should of followed through.That green picture has the face of an Ant,an Aussie Bull Ant has a Face the same as that picture and their very smart they move in a unit with a Bit that just Hurts if your bitten by one there's normally ten on you and ya in for some personal pain.

So this Red Worm/Snake Hunt isn't new it's on going.

Source:Farrier said there been up to four unsuccessful expeditions searching for the death worm in the last 100 years, the last two in 2003 and 2005, which had used night vision goggles to look for the worm. However, the New Zealand team planned to bring the worm to the surface with explosives, as it is said to be attracted to tremors. Farrier put his chances of finding the worm at between 5 and 15 percent.

Zelong.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zelong
So this Red Worm/Snake Hunt isn't new it's on going.

Well its funny but I spent months looking up cryptozoolgy for my site and I never came across this... now suddenly today is all over the web and was first mentione in 1926?

Seems like I went into another time line here weird

Darn things are everywhere Look like the worms from Dune

Video

animal.discovery.com...

SOURCE

Given the latin name Allghoi khorkhoi, the Mongolian Death Worm was first referred to by American paleontologist Professor Roy Chapman Andrews (apparently the inspiration for the Indiana Jones character) in his book On the Trail of Ancient Man, in 1926 but he didn’t appear to be entirely convinced about the whole idea. Even though locals were desperate to relay events of when the dreaded worm struck, Andrews writes: “None of those present ever had seen the creature, but they all firmly believed in its existence and described it minutely.” But it wasn’t to stop other inquisitive adventurers taking up the investigative mantle when Andrews was no longer interested, or able to pursue the matter.

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

The Real Indy?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Flagged just for the title! ATS at its best.

Here's a documentary that includes eye-witness testimony. Pretty serious stuff:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I seriously dobt that it is a worm, nice thought but It's probably some sort of Snake to be able to kill a man if it exists at all, I would gather any kind of ribbing is for water storgae in the environment and that's why they mistake it for or call it a worm.

But wouldn't be suprised to find a venom spitting snake of some sort in the region.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Dune....Shai-Hulud

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Thanks pause4thought
This team interviews some locals about the Death Worm
@3:00 Guy speaking says "looks like sand can change colours depending on it's environment this is very poisons,only use the wood touch using the wood,last time he seen it 72' ".
@3:25 says in our times it's very few,only two people know about this.
@5:10 twin hump camels that's luxury.

@11:40 estimates it was 40cm long.
@ 11:50 says "it borrowed into the ground" than says "went into the tree"
not in a hole look like snake.
@12:36 she thinks it snake.
@13:22 the team guys says it sounds more like a snake.
@25:30 Two feet long,reddish brown about four inches thick .

This is normal when you don't know snakes,though the size of a Python is more like the size of a tyre when sun baking.Not 40cm's long but.
@27:40 The creature as he found it curled up he miss-took it for a tyre.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ba8f1eac72e.jpg[/atsimg]

Part two
Interesting the term 'venomous" is used here in a "wise sense",
caution little one don't play with these

@2:30 Second witness,in 1980 her grandfather called her over to see a death worm he stumbled across, brownish,40cm long, no head or tail very venomous.

@7:45 randys a camera whore I think

If they can stop walking in circles around rock piles they may move quicker (a good way to orientate yourself maybe?) Dragons a mentioned a lot but no legs,green scales.Legless Lizard maybe? we have them in oz,

@14:20 Finally Mongolian horses
@15:00 Herd of Twin hump camels.

A good production I thought.

Zelong.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

The more I hear about this beast, the more it reminds me of something I remember reading about as a kid. (I had a vast encyclopedic book on living creatures which I was so addicted to I used to read it under the bedclothes with a torch* for, hours on end.)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the caecilian -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a5e8cf1ebea.jpg[/atsimg]

...check out the source page for a full low-down. It's pretty fascinating:

Caecilians (pronounced seh-SILL-yens) are tropical amphibians that look like large worms or slick snakes. They have no arms or legs, and sometimes it’s hard to tell which end is the head and which is the tail!..

...Most caecilians are burrowers, living in a network of tunnels underground. A hard, thick, pointy skull helps these amphibians dig in soft dirt...

...Caecilians have toxic glands in their skin that sometimes protect them from being eaten by other animals....

Imagine—over 120 species of animals, some as long as we are, that number in the millions on at least 4 continents, and almost no one knows they’re there, let alone ever sees one. That’s probably why almost nothing is known of caecilians’ habits and lifestyle. We still have much to learn about this unusual amphibian!

I think I've got some reading to do. Now where's that torch...

*'flashlight' for anyone on that side of the pond

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I wish them luck in find this thing, if it really does exist. As others have pointed out, there are animals that are capable of secreting toxic substances, whether through the skin or saliva. I don't think I have ever heard of anything shooting lightning bolts out it's butt without eating some spicy mexican food. Honestly, this thing sounds like the plot of some bad Troma film. I'm wondering when it will fight The Toxic Avenger.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
lol this is weird. I think I saw some TV show about this, they didn't find anything really except some weird holes in the desert. Of course their investigation wasnt really thorough they were only there for a week or so.

And yeah you're right it does sound like something right outta some b horror movie or something!

Peace

<<   2  3 >>

join