It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Will You Do If They Raise Taxes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This is directed at my fellow Americans but really anyone in a westernized country will be able to relate.
There’s talk now of taxes being raised on middle class America, to help pay the outrageous debt the government has produced for us.

This seems like the worst possible time, times are hard enough even if you are a middle class citizen (much worse for the class below). Taking a higher percentage of someone’s earnings is only going to make life that much more difficult, for some it will totally change the way they live (since some barely afford essentials as it is).

So I ask you this, what will you do? I really don’t know what I should do…

Do We Protest?

Do We Have a National Sit In?

Do We Riot?

Do We Bend Over and take it?

(if you know more/better options feel free to add them)

Taxes don’t tend to go down (there are exceptions, see: 13 colonies,1776) so once this happens its probably permanent.

Unfortunately I think the last option will be the one we end up excepting.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ok, I'm not American, but I feel that this is relevant. In Denmark, we pay almost 50% in income tax. And then on top of that, there's a 25% tax on all goods and services that we buy (called "moms"). I bet the taxes in the US are not on that scale.

edit to add:
en.wikipedia.org...

According to newly revised statistics, Denmark has had the world's highest tax level in 2005 and 2006, at 50.7% and 49.1% respectively. Denmark also held this position 1970-74 and 1993-95 . These figures do not include income from ownership.

So, first they'll take 50%. And then we'll have to pay 25% of the rest of it, if we want to spend it.

[edit on 2 Aug 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
This is directed at my fellow Americans but really anyone in a westernized country will be able to relate.
There’s talk now of taxes being raised on middle class American, to help pay the outrageous debt the government has produced for us.

This seems like the worst possible time, times are hard enough even if you are a middle class citizen (much worse for the class below). Taking a higher percentage of someone’s earnings is only going to make life that much more difficult, for some it will totally change the way they live (since some barely afford essentials as it is).

So I ask you this, what will you do? I really don’t know what I should do…

Do We Protest?

Do We Have a National Sit In?

Do We Riot?

Do We Bend Over and take it?

(if you know more/better options feel free to add them)

Taxes don’t tend to go down (there are exceptions, see: 13 colonies,1776) so once this happens its probably permanent.

Unfortunately I think the last option will be the one we end up excepting.

Do We Bend Over and take it?....Yes this is what we will be doing in the near future. The American people are so used to this by now that I figure what’s the point of fighting it? It won’t change a thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Wow that's rough, and that's really what i fear happening here.

do you pay property taxes in Denmark as well? if so, man i feel sorry for you guys, all though statistically your the happiest country on the planet.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I added to my post. Property taxes comes on top of this. Yup... and there are no riots here. Ok, they are actually rioting here every now and then, but not because of high taxes.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Ok, I'm not American, but I feel that this is relevant. In Denmark, we pay almost 50% in income tax. And then on top of that, there's a 25% tax on all goods and services that we buy (called "moms"). I bet the taxes in the US are not on that scale.

24 years ago (gack its been THAT long!) I calculated my USA taxes at 64.5% I know I missed some of them like the 7% sales tax on all goods.

The politicos tend to hide them so as not to annoy the sheeple.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

That's more then likely what will happen here I imagine.

People will gripe, but do nothing to change it, because that may require personal sacrifice (I'm not above it all).

I wonder tho, where does it eventually lead? One day will income tax be 80% and sales tax 60%? Did older folks ever think they would get as high as they are now?

Its a dark path, that eventually leads to the common man living as a serf.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Not if, but when they raise taxes, and the when is 2010.

George Bush left us a ticking time bomb of tax legislation.

Tax Time Bomb

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I'm going to keep not filing like every other year. I have a personal rule where I don't give money to people that kill other people. The day I realized that income taxes were slavery I quit paying them. It pains me that there are so few people who love freedom anymore. This country was started by revolutionary nontax paying freemen, and now most of us are slaves to a system.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
seems like for the most part people bend over and take it when it comes to taxes.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I suggest getting a good CPA and then just donating a lot money so you don't give it to the bastard gov. to spend 1 million dollars on a toilet seat and give it to the ASPCA or some other organization.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
Not if, but when they raise taxes, and the when is 2010.

George Bush left us a ticking time bomb of tax legislation.

Tax Time Bomb

i didn't know about that, will have to read up on it tomorrow, its bed time,

G.night everyone.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The marginal tax rates for most American's is around 40%.

Unless your a billionaire, in which case you average around 16%.

Or Teressa Heinz Kerry, in which case you only pay 12.3% on a 5 million dollar income.

Marginal rate calculator to help you determine how much money the government has stolen from you and wasted on bankers:

www.smartmoney.com...

[edit on 3-8-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I hate to tell you but they've been raising the taxes for a while now... They may not raise the income tax, cause everyone will call foul, but they're already starting to nickel and dime us all across the board.

What do we do? I don't know...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
ever figured what the % of $$ in the USA really goes to taxes?
I tried, and it is a never ending, compounding nightmare.
roughly 24% of my paycheck, then 7% of the $$ I use to purchase items, then 30% of the $$ I save has to be claimed as earned income.
So it is set up in a way that almost forces you to spend it, or they tax it until its gone.
Only way I have found to get past this, is to deal with hard cash.
But if the latest roumors I have heard that the denomination strip in our $$ is actually traceable, "barcoded" then the cash I have on hand is screwed too.
A close friend of mine is a professional billiards player, he got stopped while trying to board a plane, they ask if he was carrying over 10K?
He replied it is none of your bussiness, they proceeded to tell him it is unlawful to fly with over 10K "he had just won a tourney" 15K and change.
They said he had at least 11K on him, after a bank deposit and some carefull counting he had 11K in newer bills and 3K in old style 1oo's.
They could not see those, so yes I collect old C notes.
He claims they know how much cash you have as soon as you cross the metal detector boarding the plane.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

Hmm really? i will have to look into that, quite creepy.

kinda makes sense tho.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Well here you no only pay taxes for the fed but also for you state and the city then you get tax on everything you buy and on anything you need.

So actually we get taxes over and over everyday of the of the week.

Oh, I forgot the obligatory taxes you know the entitlement programs run by the crocks I mean the government.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
im not sure anyone has the courage to do anything about it. were like a frog in slowly boiling hot water... oh nothing is gonna happen, noooo cmooonn.. meanwhile ur insides are being cooked and u wont know whats happening until your dead. "they" know this...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
I suggest getting a good CPA and then just donating a lot money so you don't give it to the bastard gov. to spend 1 million dollars on a toilet seat and give it to the ASPCA or some other organization.

You spawned a creative thought for me! Thanks!

Tea Parties, Refusal to pay on a mass scale, marches on DC (Sept 12!) and other things, but the Not-for-profit is an interesting loophole...

Suppose we create several 501-C entities. Donate massive amounts of our income to avoid taxes. Push ourselves into "poverty" status by lowering our AGI into the appropriate category, and then making purchases out of the 501C to exhaust the donated funds, and then provide those purchases back to our impoverished selves?!?!?!

A good CPA indeed! In order to avoid looking suspicious, I will donate to yours, and you donate to mine. That way we aren't directly benefitting from the donations!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I wonder if there is some way people can talk their employers to put them on salary at 1 dollar a year and consider then a public owned company and claim all other income as capital gains. That is what Warren Buffet and the millionaires and billionaires do.

There tax rate is 35% the only difference is that they take a cheap cheap salary if any and just make their money off of capital gains. So when people like Buffet say my secretary pays 35% well his secretary, is getting paid very well, and he only pays 17% or whatever it is because he is circumventing the system, but I have found most people are too lazy to figure it out.

It is already hard enough to make it on 30 grand a year is most places around the country if they raise taxes people are going to start acting out. It is already happening at town halls that the congress people are holding.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join