It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesomely interesting religious figures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Hello all!

I've been wasting my time on a certain website, reading through it's hoard of very interesting articles, when I came across this one:

6 Saints who could kick your ass
(Contains some vulgar language)

I gotta be honest, the entire purpose of this thread was just to share that link, it is so....interesting and (due to the writing style, probably), hilarious. I swear, I'm not hating on any religious group, I just wanted to bring this stuff to your attention.

My favourite from that list is definitely:

...Symeon packed up his loincloth and moved to a crevice in a rock in the desert. In a space about 20 yards in diameter, he set up shop but soon learned that when you decide to live your life as a religious sideshow, you're going to attract attention. Soon pilgrims arrived to watch him presumably just sitting on his rock. They asked him for advice and prayers and probably threw peanuts and tried to get him to do tricks.

Realizing the rock was still too awesome a place to spend his life, Symeon raised a stone pillar with a little platform on top, climbed up and sat there. He went through a couple of these pillars before he settled on one over 50 feet high where he stayed ... for 36 years.

He continued to get visitors and for a while each day, a ladder was used so people could come up and chat with him while those below waited their turn and tried to avoid getting pooped on from 50 feet up.

Another gem (from the same website, with the same warnings of language):

Five Biggest Bad-ass Popes
...Pope Stephen VI decided to right some old wrongs. A previous Pope, Formosus, had committed some technical infractions, the kinds of minor crimes a less scrupulous Pope would have let slide, especially considering the man was dead. But not Stephen.

Consumed with an unquenchable thirst for justice, he had Formosus dug up, dressed in his papal vestments, and seated on a throne, ready to face the music in a formal trial.

So, got any more gems from your own store? Feel free to share!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yikes, I saw zero replies, and I guess that didn't matter, but zero views as well?
Does that mean that nobody even bothered to click and read this?

I guess light-hearted stuff doesn't have any pull around here!

EDIT: Wait...the "views" number of this thread in my "Public Profile" page says zero...that can't be right, can it? It says zero for other threads as well (which have even got replies)!

[edit on 28-8-2009 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

They don't update the views in your profile anymore, it's always at zero.

I love Ezekiel. He's probably my fave. But I'm not religious at all, I just think he's funky.

new topics

join