It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sands Hid Fate of Gulf War Pilot Missing Since 1991 - Mystery Surrounding Speicher's Whereabouts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Sands Hid Fate of Gulf War Pilot Missing Since 1991 - Mystery Surrounding Speicher's Whereabouts Had Sparked Rumors, Conspiracy Theories

www.washingtonpost.com

A two-decade long odyssey to find Navy Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher, whose fighter jet was shot down during the opening days of the Persian Gulf War, ended Sunday when the U.S. military announced that an Iraqi living in the remote, desert expanse of Anbar province had helped direct U.S. Marines to the downed pilot's burial site.

Speicher's fate had been the subject of several high-level Pentagon investigations, hundreds of rumors and countless conspiracy theories since his plane was shot down over western Iraq on Jan. 17, 1991. His friends and family, including two-college age childr
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/2/09 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Captian Speicher's ultimate fate has remained a mystery since that faithfull day. To his family you have my eternal thanks for your sacrafice.

Day is done,
gone the sun,
From the hills,
from the lake,
From the skies.
All is well,
safely rest,
God is nigh.
Go to sleep,
peaceful sleep,
May the soldier
or sailor,
God keep.
On the land
or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night,
Must thou go,
When the day,
And the night
Need thee so?
All is well.
Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light;
And afar
Goeth day,
And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well;
Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise,
For our days,
'Neath the sun,
Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.

www.armystudyguide.com...

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/2/09 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It's a shame we don;'t hold the sacrifices of the Iraqis in the same light.
Soldiers etc go to war knowing there is the possibility they won't come home.
Yes, it is sad, but it is no more sad than innocent civilians losing their lives because of the actions of various military.
Spin doctor at work, making us 'feel' for the military but not mentioning all the other deaths that are just as 'important'.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Yes, it is sad, but it is no more sad than innocent civilians losing their lives because of the actions of various military.
Spin doctor at work, making us 'feel' for the military but not mentioning all the other deaths that are just as 'important'.

You do know that many soldiers give/gave their lives for Iraqi ppl as you call them ?? You are aware of this right ? You do know many help better the life of Iraqi's with training in health care /schools among others things .
Its not just a war over there ,its just as much an humanitarian effort (or so it was ) You seem really confused and shouldn't be commenting on things you don't seem to fully understand . How many times have you been there ?
Do you know anything other than what you have seen on the MSM ?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFwife

You do know that many soldiers give/gave their lives for Iraqi ppl as you call them ?? You are aware of this right ? You do know many help better the life of Iraqi's with training in health care /schools among others things .
Its not just a war over there ,its just as much an humanitarian effort (or so it was ) You seem really confused and shouldn't be commenting on things you don't seem to fully understand . How many times have you been there ?

Obviously I know nothing eh?
I'm just sick of all we hear about 'coalition forces' but bugger all about the civilians.
Yes, I'm aware of all the spin , just as I'm aware of the loss of humanity and such...but I don't expect you to understand, fanboi.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Obviously I know nothing eh?
I'm just sick of all we hear about 'coalition forces' but bugger all about the civilians.
Yes, I'm aware of all the spin , just as I'm aware of the loss of humanity and such...but I don't expect you to understand, fanboi.

You don't know me ,so why wouldn't you expect me to understand ? Granted everything you said is crap impo but I have an open mind .
I just don't really see the point in ppl screaming this and that when clearly they really just don't know

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

You don't know me ,so why wouldn't you expect me to understand ?

Back atcha there. I speak my mind, I utilise information at hand and gathered and form my own opinions, not some hand-wringing, heart -clenching propaganda.
I have spoken to soldiers who have served. They say similar things, but obviously I have no idea because I disagree with you.
But then I wouldn't expect you to understand anyway, given the culture of death that is pervasive.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Wow.

Just wow.

You were the first poster?

Sad.

Star and flag for you, SuperT.

OIF 1 (2003-2004)

OIF 5-7 (2005-2006)

4th Infantry Division.

"The "innocent" Iraqis you referred to wouldn't give a damn if you died, so why should you? I don't remember killing civilians. Unless the person w/ the AK-47 shooting at me was just the friendly neighborhood grocer.....

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

A friendly reminder...

...to stick with the topic at hand and refrain from exchanging personal insults. This can be discussed in a civilized manner.

Courtesy Is Mandatory – Please Review This Link.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

"The "innocent" Iraqis you referred to wouldn't give a damn if you died, so why should you? I don't remember killing civilians. Unless the person w/ the AK-47 shooting at me was just the friendly neighborhood grocer.....

Thanks for cementing my thoughts.
Attitudes like that are stone age.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aorAki

Stone age?

So let me guess in this little happy world w/ butterflies and tigerlilies....

I should have just let him shoot me?

Is that the proper course of action?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder
reply to post by aorAki

Stone age?

So let me guess in this little happy world w/ butterflies and tigerlilies....

I should have just let him shoot me?

Is that the proper course of action?

Well, you could start by questioning the validity of your presence there, and then understand why he tried to shoot you.

I hear 'patriots' every day stating how they will defend their homes against invaders, yet when it happens to the other people, they seem to suddenly forget the effect they have.

You choose to be either a lapdog for big business and political shenanigans, or you choose not to.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
From the source:

"Early last month, the Iraqi citizen approached U.S. Marines and said that he knew two other Iraqis who remembered the Iraqi jet crashing in the desert. The Marines quickly tracked down the two witnesses, one of whom told them that he was present when a group of Bedouins buried Speicher's remains. The Iraqis then led the Marines to the crash site where Speicher's body was found."

The Iraqi didn't come forward until he felt it was safe to do so. I'd call that a win.

RIP, Captain. Welcome Home.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Thanks for putting this up. Thank goodness Captain Speicher's mortal remains have been recovered. Thanks to the Iraqi Bedouins for assisting the Marines in Anbar Province in the recovery of Captain Speicher's remains. Let's thank the Department of Defense and the US Navy for never forgetting a lost shipmate. To all those still missing in action may they find their way home as well. Finally, a little good news for a change. RIP Captain Speicher and welcome back.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

join