It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Grad Can't Find Job, Wants $$$ Back

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I stayed away from collage after I made 2 life plans one going to college the other what if I didn't.

Turned out in the end when I retired I would have just as much money either way if I was able to stick to the plan.

Well I decided screw college experience is more important. I then ended up having to deviate from my plan because as I got older I got better and better job offers because of my experience.

In the past I've turned down job offers because of the uphill battle I would face. One offer normally required a college degree just to get an interview and a Bachelor to even be considered. I had neither and was point blank offered the job. While most people would jump on it that would be suicide for your career because of the backstabbing involved to get rid of someone like me whom coworkers would despise.

Like another poster said college is a business first and foremost. If it wasn't they wouldn't offer basket weaving classes.

Sure your a surgeon college is a must as it is basically you taking the initiative to pay someone to train and certify you as a surgeon. Not taking the current health bill into account as of right now you would be paid accordingly. But there are other jobs that require no college and pay just as well if not better.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by YourForever

Originally posted by MOFreemason
I'm so annoyed right now with this student.

You're so annoyed right now with somebody you never met, and only just heard of, because of an issue they have that has nothing to do with your life? You seriously have nothing better to get so annoyed about?

As I stated, "right now" was then.

I'm actually quite over the whole story now.

Phew! Life would be such a miserable existence if I actually held onto my annoyances and frustrations.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by YourForever

Umm I agree with that poster.....we SHOULD be annoyed at this student. It doesnt matter if we know her or not.

This exact "entitlement" attitude is hugely apart of whats wrong with America today.

You go to college to get an education and better yourself. In HOPES of being able to make more money for yourself in the future. That DOES NOT GUARANTEE you a job.

At that point you take it UPON YOURSELF to go out and fill applications and job search...just like any other person needing a job does. And just because you have that degree doesnt mean you will get the job anyway...many businesses would rather hire someone with experience then someone who is fresh out of college with no real world application of their chosen profession.

This "I deserve this" and "Im entitled" to that attitude is what is making this nation nothing but a huge group of whiny little wussies without any backbone or grit.

Our grandparents would be ashamed! This is a prime example of what needs to change in our American psyche as a whole.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by YourForever

Umm I agree with that poster.....we SHOULD be annoyed at this student. It doesnt matter if we know her or not.

This exact "entitlement" attitude is hugely apart of whats wrong with America today.

You go to college to get an education and better yourself. In HOPES of being able to make more money for yourself in the future. That DOES NOT GUARANTEE you a job.

At that point you take it UPON YOURSELF to go out and fill applications and job search...just like any other person needing a job does. And just because you have that degree doesnt mean you will get the job anyway...many businesses would rather hire someone with experience then someone who is fresh out of college with no real world application of their chosen profession.

This "I deserve this" and "Im entitled" to that attitude is what is making this nation nothing but a huge group of whiny little wussies without any backbone or grit.

Our grandparents would be ashamed! This is a prime example of what needs to change in our American psyche as a whole.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by ManBehindTheMask]

I am glad you referenced the word "entitlement," because this story is the epitome of the word!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Also keep in mind that this student can't be too bright... she actually expected to land something after graduating?

Does anybody here know a student (27 years old even!) that naive? Does she lead such a pampered life that all she sees is rainbows and butterflies?

Apparently not if she's already suing. I guess she's getting her money whether she works for it or not.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Exactly MO

thats the root of the problem right there....its just that attitude...I am trying not to get political here but a big part of it is the way we run things in America now.

A lot of the way the political system is run is about "you deserve this...we can give you this...if you vote for us or follow "this" train of thought we can make sure we will "hand" you this"

People have forgotten how to WORK for anything anymore. People have forgotten how to try and FAIL......then get up and do it again...and stick it out when its tough...

Nope hand me my silver spoon and platter please....

As for Soothsayer....

Your absolutely right about it taking up resources....a perfect example of why we should have safeguards against frivolous lawsuits!

If she lost this case and she had to pay all the court costs plus attorney fees on both sides...then maybe plus how much money the lawyers and the courts were out by having to defend a client against a b.s. case....hey they could rack up the numbers pretty quick!

People might think thats harsh but it sure would cut down on the sue happy idiots out there looking to make a quick buck...when it could turn against them and make them bankrupt

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
$70,000? She's lucky, for one. She should also try going back to school.

If I can't get a job out of undergrad, I'll go to grad school. If I can't get a job out of grad school, I wouldn't sue my school. I'd sue the world.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Having studied IT my self for a short period of time at a private training provider and not having gained meaningful employment I can emphasize with Trina Thompson . I have nothing bad to say about the training provider I went to because job hunting was my responsibility . In hindsight I should have researched the job market before I undertook the training that I did . The only reason I don't regret doing it is because I accomplished some other personal goals such as leaving home .

Unless someone really has there heart set on going to University I would advise someone to do a technical trade because by doing an apprenticeship someone can gain experience while learning there trade .

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What she should have done is just gone to a tech school... would have saved a bunch of money in the long run, and would have been just as effective!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join