It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California public union OKs strike authorization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

California public union OKs strike authorization

www.reuters.com

California's largest state employees' union voted on Saturday to approve a strike authorization measure to protest furloughs of state workers and pressure state officials to ratify its labor contract.

Earlier this week, the Republican governor signed a bill that closed a more than $24 billion budget gap. Under the legislation, furloughs will continue for state workers for three days a month, cutting their pay by 15 percent.

"We feel that he (Schwarzenegger) really undermined any kind of a contract deal by pushing these furloughs on folks," Zamora said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This made absolutely no sense to me, until I read it involved the SEIU. Then it made perfect sense.

The SEIU is all about causing havoc, similar to ACORN, to push their agenda.

If you're a public worker that is employed by your respective state, which has no money, HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY STRIKE FOR MORE MONEY??????

This is absurd. They should be fired, terminated, and/or released from their work duties so new employees can come in to do the job for a price the state can afford to pay.

That's the joy of capitalism.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I totally agree with you that if these people strike or keep complaining for more or the same money when they know the state cannot afford it they should all be fired and replaced with cheaper workers.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It was a perfectly fair deal to begin with. The workers are making donkey's of themselves by striking. The state is broke. They get to work less, and they make a little less. Basically, instead of throwing a bunch of government workers out on their butts, they made everyone sacrifice a little pay, and they also get more time off. The irony is they are striking together, a one for all sort of thing. However, had these measures not been taken, 15% would be making 0% of what they are now.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Looks like a good time to do a REAL budget cut.. How about cutting 50 or 75% of the state work force? There is a mass exodus out of California because there is no work so cut the drones too, repeal a bunch of laws and join reality. OOps I forgot this is the fruits and nut state but then they cut the water used by farmers so the trees are dieing too.

new topics

top topics

join