It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assault-weapons ban expiring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
We should be able to own assault rifles just incase someone tries breaking into my house they will look like Swiss cheese after im done with them

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Knowing our goverment they'll extend this law. Stupid goverment violating my stupid rights. I hope this does expire.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
no-one needs an assault rifle to hunt or to protect their family (if you *really* needed one, they're probably in a lot more trouble than a gun is gonna fix). banning these weapons, aside from making less available for criminals to use (and who else would use such weapons on american city streets?) also gives prosecutors the ability to lock up suspects on illegal firearm posession charges in situations where proof of other crimes may not be available.

another point: criminals will always get guns, it's true. but the question is how many criminals can get them. if you ban assault weapons, then sure, drug cartel members may still have them (and be subject to charges on that alone) BUT your average street gang may have to opt for some lesser firepower.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
The AWB is a sham foisted on the ignorant by wily politicians seeking votes of the uneducated.

1. The ban applies to imported weapons, many formerly imported weapons are now made here to get around this rule.

2. The only real difference is the absence of a bayonet lug and the use of ten round magazines. Criminals do not use bayonets in the first place and in the second plce all one has to do is carry more mags for the weapon, no big deal there.

3. The use of assault rifles in crime by gun was less than 1%, The real problem was traffic in stolen or straw purchase handguns.

4. In jurisdictions where the federal prosecuter did not plea bargain weapon violations, gun crime fell dramatically, using laws that existed before the AWB.

5. I own a .308 rifle considered by this crappy law that I put a five round magazine in and hunt with - so much for them not being able hunting guns.

6. I have a right under the constitution to protect myself and my home - who the hell are you to tell me I cannot have the best equipment available!

[edit on 6-7-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Theres only been one instance that I know of were a legally owned full auto weapon was used in a crime and that crime was commited by a police officer. There are many ways to convert a semi auto weapon to full auto as was the case in the north hoollywood shoot out. Just pick up a copy of Paladin press if you want to see how easy it is.If your a ''bad guy'' And you want to get your hands on a full auto weapon or a silencer this Law is not going to stop you. This ban just make legal gun owners pay a butt load more money if they want to own a pre-ban gun you can still buy a full auto mp-5 or ak-47 if you want just expect to pay through the teeth for the permit and the weapon.

Also you can still buy 203 Grenade Launchers they are sold as flare launchers. Good luck trying to find a gernade to shoot from it though and I can argee with not gettin these who needs a 40mm grenade any ways. Besides I like the hornet nest shell round for the 37mm launcher 15 .22s coming at you can ruin your day

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The truth is, they are criminals because they break the law. If you are motivated enough, you can get just about whatever you want. Whether it�s legal or not is just a qualifier.

My question is this: If I bought a post-ban semi-auto rifle (AR-15), would it be legal to attach a collapsible stock once the ban expires? Or is it still subject to the rules of the ban since it was manufactured when the ban was in effect? Also, would you have to buy the stock after the ban expires, or could you buy it at anytime and just attach it when the ban expires?

The AWB, in my opinion, really didn�t accomplish much. It just made it a lot easier to become a felon due to the COMPONENTS on your gun.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I think if the ban sunsets you could put a folding stock on your gun because those laws no longer hold any power. There would be no pre or post ban after its gone. Just some unlucky guns that will not accept high capacity mags. Though I hope then they can sell lower recievers to change your gun to a high capacity model

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I think it is good keep a healthy tension between governments and 'their' citizens. I believe in the second amendment.

If we have more guns maybe we'll get lucky and someone will shoot Cheney, then Bush.

Outlaws don't care and have illegal firearms. Goverments can create 'legal' rights to whatever they want. I think law abiding citizens should be allowed to defend themselves from both and not neutered like domesticated animals.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think if the ban sunsets you could put a folding stock on your gun because those laws no longer hold any power. There would be no pre or post ban

That�s what I thought. I sure hope so, it�ll make purchasing parts much easier without this pre-ban/post-ban stuff to worry about.

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Just some unlucky guns that will not accept high capacity mags. Though I hope then they can sell lower recievers to change your gun to a high capacity model

I think the receivers can accept the magazine regardless of capacity, but the AWB prohibited non-LEOs/government agencies from purchasing high-capacity (10+?) magazines manufactured after September 13, 1994. It is still legal to use and purchase pre-ban magazines in your post-ban rifle. At least I hope so, because I have some 30 round LaBelles in the mail�

[edit on 7/7/04 by para]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My bro purchased a AK with a 10shot clip and it will only take the single stack compared to double stack high capacity ones. Ive only found unbent recievers for the AK to replace it but without the proper machineing tools they cant be used. The 10 shot clip just don't look right on the AK I think he would be happy with even a 10 shot clip that looked like a 30 shot clip just to give it the classic AK look.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well this ban includes that nonsense (10+1) rule, so if it expires you will be able to buy the 30 round models.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That�s too bad. I�m not too familiar with AKs, but the semi-auto receivers aren�t very expensive, are they? It should be pretty easy to get a hold of one once the ban expires and swap it in. I agree, they don�t look right without those big banana clips sticking out the bottom.

The AR mags (I believe) are limited in capacity by the size (length) of the magazine. Alternatively, you can pin them so the follower won�t push down past a certain number of rounds. I don�t know for sure though, I haven�t received any of my 30 round magazines yet.

EDIT - forgot second half of post

[edit on 7/7/04 by para]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Anyone who knows anything about guns in America knows the law was a joke for banning assault weapons. The weapons available now are better quality than they were before the ban, especially the AK's. The CETME I bought a few years ago is a good rifle, 20 round mags are easy to come by and its a rollerblock .308, recoil is mild. This is after the "assault weapons" ban. Sure you can't have a bayonet....:p
The only really lame effect of the law was the 10 round magazine. If you have noticed the trend now is smaller guns, not just because of the concealed carry laws. No need to carry a big gun with a magazine 1/3 empty.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by para
That�s too bad. I�m not too familiar with AKs, but the semi-auto receivers aren�t very expensive, are they? It should be pretty easy to get a hold of one once the ban expires and swap it in. I agree, they don�t look right without those big banana clips sticking out the bottom.

EDIT - forgot second half of post

[edit on 7/7/04 by para]

You can pick up unbent receivers for $50 and you dont need a FFL to buy them. The receivers that are ready to go can cost up to $400 for high quality ones and require a FFL to buy them.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Somthing Else thats stupid that happened in the UK, they ban pistols, then release a rifle called the "Mini-Rifle" that is .22 calibre, semi-auto, can have a 50 shot mag, can have a pistol grip, folding stock, and is only 12" in barrel length... that COMPLETLY defeats the object of banning handguns because of the fact they can be concealed.

I own one as well as a pistol, and if I was to go on a "rampage" I would take the Mini-Rifle and about 5 50-shot mags!!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I read lots of misleading info here.

The ban has nothing at all, not even a little, to do with full-auto weapons.

The ban did not outlaw bayonets. You can only have a certain number of "evil features" on your weapon. Bayonets lugs are normaly the first thing to go in order to keep some of the more desirable traits.

You dont need a curio and relic licence to own C&R weapons, it just lets you ship them across state lines, a feat that is normaly illegal without a dealer FFL and saves the collecter a little bit of cash. Most of the weapons on the C&R list are outdated military weapons and limited issue collecters firearms (can we say gold plated 1911's for $20,000?). You cannot "buy whatever you want" with a C&R, infact you can hardly buy anything sith it!

The AWB sunset will not due much to fix the problem with dollar-store ak's problem of 10 round mags. Tell your friend to spend at least $200 next time, and he can avoid that problem. Even if he did find a new reciever for cheap, good luck putting it together.

The important thing to remember is that this ban didnt actually BAN anything, it didn't even make things harder to get, it just hit us in the wallets, real hard. About a week ago I purchased, from a licenced dealear, a perfectly legal C&R Yugoslavian SKS riffle, with the nato spec. grenade launcher, grenade launcher sight, night sights, bayonett and semi-auto action. The ban did nothing. I can use this weapon to rob a bank with my bayonet if I so chose to do (wouldnt that be funny). I could even poke you in the eye with the grenade launcher (you cant get rounds for it).

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think we have the media to thank for purposely blurring the lines between an automatic weapon and an assault rifle. Most people have been lead to believe that when the AWB sunsets all kinds of felons and terrorists are going to be able to walk into their local FFL dealer and purchase all kinds of automatic woman-and-children killing rifles, which is not true. Automatic weapons still require a class three tax stamp and have to be legal in your state.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
"Gun control" has less to do with guns than control. Like all euphemisms, the term was coined to disguise the true objective, which is gun prohibition.

The organizations sponsoring the civilian disarmament programs dislike setbacks, and will seek to keep things moving forward in the U.S.

It will be very interesting to see what political maneuvers take place to renew this ban.

President Bush has already pledged to sign an AWB renewal if it reaches his desk. The battle will be fought publicly in Congress, but decided behind the scenes with a dazzling array of political and financial incentives.

Enjoy the show.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Gun laws make me laugh very loud.
At the end of the day with gun laws or not, criminals will still get guns for their purpose so these laws only restict law abiding citizens.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join