It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking about UFOs and Aliens to people? Why..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ok why do people get so scared or so weirded out because you believe in aliens and ufo's?

I was talking to one of the guys at work about aliens and how I believe the government is keeping a LOT of technology, energy sources, knowledge from the people. And that there is many people who work in these secret departments of the government who've came out and said about there work after they retire.

Anyway, Everyone always says about little green guys flying around. Why do they poke fun at it? Just because there were cartoons to make you laugh people believe they are little green people.

They say what like half of America believes there are extraterrestrials . We are the strong ones to accept there are extraterrestrials. Then why are all the rest so weak?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's the other way around I think. UFO's stopped being 'jaw dropping news' so long ago, it's in the mists.

Why do people still think they're in the minority re: their belief in UFO's ?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's not a matter of weakness, it's indoctrination and practically social norm to not take UFOs and the possibility of extra-terrestrial visitation seriously.

There was a time where it was accepted (and it was the 'norm') to discriminate people based on the color of their skin.

Social evolution isn't as fast as we'd like it to be, but it is on-going.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
hi xweaponx,
i totally agree with you. Funny thing i find is when you raise very good points and show very good videos ie:the disclosure project and they still just laugh it off. No problem though they just dont want to see whats around them, kinda like they say in the matrix...ignorance is bliss.
your not nuts my friend...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
UFOs just aren't big news. They're not. The days of people being considered 'different' re: their belief in UFOs is long gone.

There's nothing more annoying than someone desperate to bend your ear about 'their' theory re: UFOs and their assumption that it's all new to you -- their belief you're 'anti-UFO', etc.

Everyone and his dog has heard and read and watched movies and tv about UFOs, even peasants in remote areas of the world.

Most people went throught the 'gee, golly, gosh' stage about UFOs when they were in their teens. There were 'space alien' movies by the score way back in the early 50s and all the way through since then.

A lot of people pretend they don't believe in UFOs or just don't care about them in order to shut up the latest generation of people who've just discovered them and think they own them.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It's just part of a big conspiracy to shut you up!
Or maybe it's because they might suspect that you don't actually have in your knowledge any incontrovertible proof of the subject and you believe mostly because you want to believe, or you're just credulous.

If you don't tell them of all the disclosed documents and investigations by various governments, they might think that you've just had a bad dream and think that you're abducted by aliens. People know that many of those who claim to know the truth about aliens are not quite in their senses, which is why I'd be cautious in talking about the subject with people I don't know, not that I'd give the impression that I knew the truth.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by cnuum]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I've mentioned on ATS threads about memories of abductions and had little feed back on it that was positive and more negative types like trolls.

I even tried to discuss it with my therapist and he seemed to get annoyed. But ironically, he much preferred to quote bible scripture instead. I typically feel uncomfortable speaking openly and vocally about it anyway.

I wonder if people who are believers would be as receptive by others who came knocking on their doors and claimed they knew about UFOs and the important message they have for us.

I think I might have a problem with them as well.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I believe that are subtle differences in the way different people are "wired". Most people do not have the genetic predisposition to question, challenge and explore - they are, instead, disposed to following orders and taking direction. They do as they are told and are happy doing so -- the "sheeple". Society has always needed a good supply of such persons and evolution has supplied them.

Then others, like many here on ATS, have the wiring that predisposes them to question everything, and to "look outside the box". There are fewer such persons than the followers; again, an evolutionary thing. Society always benefited from a few good #-disturbers, but not too many.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It's interesting... because I brought this up not that long ago at a family dinner..... my brother is a skeptic... my brother in law is a skeptic... my Dad is a skeptic...... yet my mum, sister and sister-in-law aren't.

It doesn't matter what the subject is.. UFOs.... Psychics... Paranormal.... most males let their Ego's get in the way..... the scientific community is full of ego's. It's this attitude of "Well I don't know about it so it must not be real" which pisses me off.

So I brought up UFOs and of course had the male's in the family saying stuff like "God you aren't one of those kooks are you" and try and talk me down.... yet when I asked them "What was Roswell"..... "What are Crop Circles".... "Do you know what the STS missions are" NONE of them had even the faintest idea.

I spent 30 minutes rattling out stories about Roswell and even some famous Australian UFO encounters.... and you know their response?

"Well if it's true why don't you hear about all these things happening"

Because nobody had held a press conference on the evening news declaring it.... they thought it must be all bull#.

Skeptics are the great uneducated.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's the overkill.

Unidentified flying objects have been around for hundreds, thousands of years. You find them in very old accounts and in paintings. Thousands claim to have seen them, interacted with their occupants and it continues to this day.

Sooner or later though, no matter how enthusiastic someone might be regarding the subject, they have to get on with their day job. They have to eat, put a roof over their head, pay for their internet connection, maintain relationships. All of which requires time, energy, dedication, leaving only so much time for UFOs.

People now in their 80's were discussing UFOs back in the 40s, 50s, 60s. They believed a 'break-through' was imminent. But all that happened was, the next generation came along -- they saw UFOs too -- and they believed a break-through was imminent also. Flip forward 50 or so years and another generation is all excited about UFOs and believes 'the truth' will be revealed during their lifetime. Flip forward fifty years from now and today's generation will be in their 60's and 70's and people will still be seeing UFOs -- still believing that 'the truth' just has to come out, in their lifetime.

People who saw UFOs or who knew someone who did 30 or 40 years ago, often show little interest these days, avoid the subject or scoff at it, leading the enthusiastic believers of today to believe that those oldies know nothing, have 'closed minds', etc. Yet if you looked in dusty boxes in their garages, you might be surprised to find the classics of UFOlogy there, well-read, underlined, pages turned down. They were the 'truth seekers' of their day, long before today's generations were even born. They held all the discussions you see here today on ATS. They tried to get others interested in UFOs and were dismissed, ignored, laughed at. They've been there and done it like tens of thousands before them, before you.

The reality is, the ball's in the court of the 'aliens'. They call the shots and hold the ace card. They've been messing humans around for thousands of years with their clues and appearances, etc. There's no more reason to expect 'the truth' to be revealed in your generation than it was to the people of a thousand years ago. In the meantime, you get older every day, you still have to work, pay the bills, cope with what life throws up. Who knows, one day some kid might grab you at work and start bending your ear about UFOs, complete with his theories --- and you might brush him off, or tell him you're not interested or even that you don't believe in them. And you probably won't even bother telling him how many hundreds of hours you once devoted to them or how much you actually know about them and how ardently you used to argue their existence. And he'll walk away and categorise you as a 'closed minded disbeliever'. And you won't even care.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Total Package

I think many grow during their own discovery process dealing with these subjects. If you're brave enough and strong enough emotionally to deal with these negative people, than that's fine for you.

Some make a living at it. But I think that's not as easy anymore. They also say there's a time and a place for everything. Some people take that liberty too far as well and some get locked up over it.

At least here you can vent more comfortably.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Most people I talk to about UFO's have an opinion on what they are. 90% of people I speak with about hte subject believe it is real and true. THey just don't know exactly what is and are curious like us nutjobs.

it is no the non believer who is the minority.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Another angle to consider, lots of people (especially those over 40)

have spent a good portion of their life attending church, their conceptions of life & death, and even the afterlife do not mesh well with alien life forms.

Lots of people spend their whole lives behaving one way, working every day and saying their prayers every night because they believe in a big cloudy heaven where dead relatives await them.

And while johnny christian goes to his job (that he subconsciously hates)
you show up in the break room and start talkin about UFOs and ET life,
This shakes johnnys foundation of reality. and rather than take an honest look into the subject, its much easier to brush you off, and continue with those "comfort blanket" type beliefs

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by patientobserver

When you have time, maybe you'd like to read my last post (above).

I know a couple of 80-something old guys who knew what they'd seen in the bush one night, back in the early 60s. They were church-goers, family men. They related what they'd seen. They had businesses and reputations to protect. But they got old. People were still seeing 'things' in the sky and elsewhere, just like them. They read the books, they held the discussion in real-time (no internet then). But time moves on, human lifespan is short. 'Disclosure' didn't come for them, just as it hasn't come for millions.

Belief in UFOs isn't a 'young thing'. But the young like to believe everything was born when they were, just for them. And they never imagine they'll get old as quickly as they will.

It's arrogance to imagine 'belief in UFOs' is the domain of the young, or of those who frequent chat rooms, conspiracy sites, etc. But that's ok, because everyone gets older every day and it will be a real shock to the system for today's 'believers' when some kid describes them in the future as 'old and closed-minded'. It'll happen. Just give it a bit more time, lol

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
We live in an age of science. The general population, especcially in teh west refuses to accept anything that isn't based on scientific proof (or so they like to think).

If people start talking about things like aliens, U.F.O.'s, reincarnation and spirits most other people will immidiatly have alarmbells ringing in the head telling them that the subject that is mentioning it isn't 100% sane or stabile or had somekind of bad youth. Its a form of proto-stage. If you mention believe in God then people will not even think twice about it, God doesn't exist (in the eyes of most in the west) If you believe in U.F.O.'s or spirits then they don't take you serious, it's less bad then God in their eyes but it's still unproven and thus should not be believed in.

Generally6 speaking, what we see now with U.F.O.'s and stuff is the result of the age of enlightenment.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I believe that north america has spoken. They do not care or either believe in ufo's. Name one ufo show that has succeeded...UFO hunters was cancelled due to poor viewership. The only shows i know of succeeding are ones to do with ghosts and such. So to the people saying over half america believe...where are u getting your stats....if it is the polls the only people who take those are people interested in the subject in the first place and of course your going to have a majority.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Most people have plenty to worry or do about real life things which affect them on a daily basis. Also its a taboo subject and because of Hollywood movies and etc, your considered a loonie if you believe in them and discuss them openly with people

Most people just want to worry about their family, income, job, health and etc than things they most likely have not, nor will ever see/experience in their life like UFOs and Aliens. Ignorance is bliss to them. If you don't see, hear or know about something, you don't need to care about it.

But mostly its because we were taught to not talk about or trust people who talked about certain things like Aliens, and its been forced down our throats from a very young age.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
Ok why do people get so scared or so weirded out because you believe in aliens and ufo's?

Don't know what yer on about...

Even the Vatican says its okay to believe in UFO's

The NSA, CIA, DoD, USAF, MoD (Uk) Canada, France, Uraguay, Russia

ALL have UFO files now posted on their official website...

Seems to me official confirmation they are real

So maybe you are talking to too many 'chicken littles'

new topics

top topics

join