It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What motiviation drives the "Evangelical Atheist" behavior?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I know how much you will suffer when you find Your god to be imaginary.
It will be a great and terrible day.... We will see the true nature of reality and its fractal structures... you will see that all of your praying was useless. All of those mothers and fathers who believed god would protect their now dead child will weep.

I will yell and scream at you fools now... and on that day i will hold you while you cry saying everything will be ok and that i loved you all along.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
I know how much you will suffer when you find Your god to be imaginary.
A bit of logic please (atheists are known of very good, "scientific" logic, at least they say so)
We woud not suffer anymore, being already dead.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

Why would you be dead?

Unless you plan on killing yourself. (many will choose to not live in a world missing its magical genie)

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Wertdagf]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Atheism is NOT a religion!!!! Why can't people understand that!!?

I don't believe in a deity or god or follow a religion. It is religious people who give this way of life a name....not me!

And by the way...does nobody consider that religion has been pushed down peoples throats for 1000s of years whether we liked it or not? It knocks on my door, is on TV, in movies - all around us and I have no choice but to deal with it.

It has destroyed indigenous peoples and their own original cultural beliefs. Poor souls have be burnt at the stake, tortured and murdered in the name of religion and - people are worried about a few 'atheists' trying to 'share their point of view'!!

Talk about intolerance.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
reply to post by infolurker

Surely atheism is for the many some form of twisted, up side down religion

...Are they doing it spontaneously or it makes part of secret agenda?- probably both...

Once again...it's not a religion. I worship nothing. I have faith in myself and don't need a religion to be a good, kind, person who helps my community and others without a promise of some sort of afterlife. Why is it so hard to believe that a person doesn't have to believe in something to do good. I care about the here and now and when I am dead...that is it. I have no idea why that would scare anyone.

Agenda? I have no agenda. I am me. Living life and doing what I can for people and the planet is enough to make me happy. I bet I spend more time than most Christians doing good deeds....and i need nothing in return for them. it juts makes me happy to do so.

“If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color”
- Mark Schnitzius

[edit on 2-8-2009 by swinggal]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by swinggal

I would beg to differ, from all appearances and the arguments presented it is the "religion" of science or self that is promoted the same as any other religion. Recruitment, activism, preaching the "gospel" or "ideology" if you will, etc.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Riiiiiight. Well, you go on thinking that. I have opinions about life as do you. You are free to believe what you like and worship however you choose.

I am not religious and I worship nothing and I know of no other atheist friends who even bring up religion to their religious friends. It is THEY whom always bring it up and badger me, telling me I will go to hell etc. That to me is offensive when I say nothing to them about what they chose to worship.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Swinggal, I think this is a thread about the 'militant atheist' types- not atheists in general. And let's face it, the militant type does exist. If you're not one of them, I see no reason to take offense to it.

Originally posted by swinggal
- Mark Schnitzius

Very true. But to go off that analogy, this thread is discussing the bald people who chase others down with an electric razor in order to shave their head so they will be bald, too. Not just bald people who are chillin'.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
First I'd like to point out that any TRUE ATHEIST, by nature, must reach their conclusion in a logical, scientific way, on their own, not through emotions, opinions, nor local social norms. Atheism can only deal with scientific logic, because it already denies everything else. Taking that into consideration, I haven't seen too many atheists. Lots of anti-christians or anti-muslim, some anti-jew, but not too many "true" atheists... Lots of wanna-be "pseudo-atheists" that think they are being clever. Taking a psychological perpective, there are several possible motivations I can see;

(i will use "religionX" to refer to any single religion)

A) Due to an event or series of events in their past having to do with religionX that created negative memory associations, they have come to loath religionX or those who practice it, all the while harboring negative emotions or opinions in their mind, not science or logic. This could have been due to a bad family experience in their childhood involving religionX.

B) They blame religion (they may say ALL religions, but internally they really only blame religionX, though admitting that would make them seem foolish) for negative events in history, an overgeneralization, rather than the individual personalities responsible. An example could be condemning all of Islam because of a handful of radical muslim suicide bombers, or believing the Bible creates homo-hunting biggots because some christians got out of control and beat a homosexual, or assuming every priest is a child-molester. Generalisation is the same as stereotyping, and is not scientific or logical.

C) They hear alot of people they consider to be smart or cool bad-mouthing religionX. Afterall, only losers would really believe in religionX! I's cool to piss off people! It's fun to go against the grain! Rebelling against religionX is cool because your parents are in religionX! These "atheists" are only doing what they do best, conforming to their desired social norms! In truth, they believe in nothing, have no principles, and will end up just like those they call "sheep" now. But hey, all those smart people are always calling people sheep! So they think, "if i refer to people as sheep, I must be smart too"!

D) They are simply anti-estabilishment, yet erroneously blame religionX as being a part of the estabilishment that they are (unwillingly) beholden to. (ReligionX is not the bad guy folks!!) They think anyone who willingly follows religionX must be brainwashed, because they are believing exactly as TPTB wants! They see religion as being a tool of manipulation in the hands of "the man" A logical conclusion to an incorrorect assumption. Most atheist ATSers probably fall into this category. And yes I realise calling them incorrect is my opinion, but I never claimed to be all knowing.

E) The concepts and ideas of religionX are way beyond their level of understanding. Thinking too much hurts. They only understand the material world, and the spiritual world of religionX is just too ridiculous sounding to them to deserve futher contemplation. They don't believe simply because they don't understand and don't care enough to try.

I would guess that most of the "evangelic" types fall in the B and D categories, and they sincerely want to save people due to their beliefs, which normally would include destroying all religion if they could. The rest just like to start crap with people because thats how they get their kicks.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by mostlyspoons]

[edit on 2-8-2009 by mostlyspoons]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Very true. But to go off that analogy, this thread is discussing the bald people who chase others down with an electric razor in order to shave their head so they will be bald, too. Not just bald people who are chillin'.

LOL, that was good. Thanks.

next line

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Hey OP great question! I think that the Evangelical Atheist might be driven by loneliness? Maybe they feel kind of lost in the World and seek to find others like themselves?

I am an Atheist so I will add that for Atheists sometimes it can be hard to find other like minded individuals to communicate with about beliefs. For an example I will use the area that I live in, Charlotte N.C.

This is the BUCKLE of the Bible Belt. Heck we have Billy Graham Parkway down yonder and more Churches than McDonald's and Walmart's combined.

So maybe the Atheist that seeks to actively go out and try to convert people to Atheism does not have anyone to talk to? Maybe their family is religious (and from experience I will say that a lot of people in the area that I live IMMEDIATELY assign Atheism the role of Satanism).

I think ATS is great because it gives us a platform to all get together and discuss and debate our religious beliefs or lack thereof.

I would never go out and try and actively convert anyone to Atheism. I WOULD enjoy creating a large amount of Pamphlets that had the Scientific Method written on them and go door to door to all of the Jehovah's Witnesses houses and give them to them
(kidding) .

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
S+F.
I see your point and i always laugh when i see how athiests start in on how religion promotes hate and intolerance, but will turn around and in the same breath start derogatory name-calling.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
You don't really leave much to be said, what with your options of ego, fear and hatred.

Maybe they feel that they have the right to speak with others/try to change others minds about something which they feel strongly.

It doesn't seem to hard to figure out, and look, without all that subtext and 'nudge-nudge' of the OP.

edit:

I can not speak for the world-view of all athiests, but many get 'evangelical' only with the evangelical crowd and only because they (read: I) can not stand to be told, constantly, why we are going to hell, or are somehow 'less than' those who found Jesus.

I don't call it evangelical atheism, I call it telling evangelicals to shut up or take a spoonful of their offensive, "everything you think is wrong", attitude that they feel is required upon learning someone isn't 'saved'.

Feed someone a spoonful of hatred, no matter how masked it is in the word of god, and they are probably going to push back.

[edit on 8/2/0909 by spines]

I quoted this whole post because I felt that the poster expressed it perfectly.
Those of a religious persuasion do this doggedly. Why can't atheists push back?

I used to work at a clothing store. It was a big store, with many employees. Several of these employees were deeply religious. There was one woman in particular who made it her business to sit opposite me whenever I was eating lunch, and preach to me about how I needed to be saved. She would bring her bible and read it to me. Nevermind that I told her I was not interested. Nevermind that I was just trying to eat my lunch in peace. So, one day I began to push back at her. To express my views. What happened? A complaint to my boss that I was "insulting her faith." I told my boss that this woman had been hounding me for weeks with her Bible, and he let the whole thing go.

Turnaround is fair play, ladies and gentlemen. It's time religious people realized that.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
I understand the motivation of of theists. Saving a soul or trying to bring another to salvation are common themes and expectations of the faith. What drives the "Evangelical Atheists" to attempt to "convert" others? Is it hatred? Fear? Ego? Anti-Christian-ism?

I think right there you're already in trouble. While some evangelists may be trying to save souls, in my opinion the vast majority of them are motivated by far more selfish motives. Those same motives also appear in the evangelical atheists. They're essentially the same people - religious bigots, even if their "religion" is atheism.

This same evangelical zeal appears in the UFO discussion - Believers and Infidels. Same with Bigfoot, the Kennedy Assassination, and anything else you care to name. Believers and Infidels, and a few folks who simply don't know and are looking for the truth.

The motivation appears to be arrogance and ignorance. Ignorance is just a lack of information - it's not stupidity, and it's not a fault. No matter how much we know, what we don't know is infinite. Arrogance comes about when people forget this. They think they know something, then they think they know enough - then they think they know it all.

The observed behaviors of the Evangelical Atheist is so similar to a religious fundamentalist that I almost believe it is a religion into itself.

Exactly. This is the same personality, just on a different side of the issue. A zealot is a zealot, no matter what cause he espouses.

Now, our government is *NOT* religion-neutral. We don't tax religions. They don't pay their way. The thinking was that these religions were doing God's work, so leave them alone. Great, except 1) Not everyone believes in God; and 2) Unless your religion is officially recognized, you don't get the tax break. This should be stopped.

One of the reasons you get so much religious BS is that it's big business. It's a tax free gold mine for those who are willing to milk it. You know who I'm talking about - big-hair televangelists, religious leaders whose focus is on "abundance" which usually involves "seed money" which just happens to be sent to them. It works! The leaders are rich.

Tax these religions for all their income, just like any other corporation or individual. Give them tax breaks if and when they spend any money to help feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, etc. If they want to spend it to build an amusement park, tax them for it and let them give back to the community. Half your religious nonsense would disappear with this simple change, as the charlatans left to find something more lucrative. And with that, half the "evangelical atheists" would move on, because there would be fewer knuckleheads trying to jam religion down their throats.

Oh, I suppose you're always going to have some atheistic zealots, as long as you've got religious groups trying to force school districts to teach Biblical stuff alongside scientific. The Bible has no place alongside science. They are not on an equal footing. If you insist on teaching what the Bible says in public schools, you're going to have to include other holy books as well. Koran, Bhagavad Gita, Gilgamesh, whatever. You really want to open up that can of works? Get the Bible (and other holy books) out of public schools and into the home where they belong.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by chiron613]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Atheism is NOT a religion!!!! Why can't people understand that!!?

Atheism is not a religion, but it is a faith. Just as surely as someone who has faith in his God, atheists have faith that there is no God - often on less evidence. And many atheists seek to make converts with a missionary zeal that would put many Christians to shame.

A holy war is a holy war, even for those who believe there is no God.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Actually the most dogmatic, attack-happy and conflict--happy person I know presently is an atheist. She will tell you that everyone that thinks otherwise are fools to some degree. So she fits the OP's idea perfectly...

Yet I have come to understand her motivations: being closed out from a family by her brothers, losing her father early, then losing her own child of three months in the middle of a divorce. For a while she was a vociferous communist. Then after the system change in Eastern Europe, she picked up an American boyfriend, and lo and behold, she suddenly turned into a staunch right-winger believs in the supposed goods of capitalism, Bush and searches for Arabs under the bed.
At Jewish religous gatherings - where both of us are invited - she expounds loudly how she wants to be considered Jewish and yet no belief in God or anything.
I understand her soul needs to go through this type of cleansing.
I also think she was a satanist in another life.

So if you want my opinion, it is mixed: pain turned her into this type of person, and yet she is right about all the junk associated with exoteric religions. Definitely atheism can be a cleansing phase in psychological terms.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
In all honesty I will agree atheism is not a religion. Its a religious stance in that it is metaphysical. I think the actual religion of atheism is Darwinism. They worship nature and they elevate "chance" as their magic spiritual power. Randomness or chance and they argue a team of monkeys will type Shakespeare and other such absurdity. that's the crux of the Darwinist faith. Atheism concerns what they deny - Darwinism is what they believe.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by swinggal “If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color” - Mark Schnitzius

I guess Dawkins is flying a crop duster plane loaded with Nair.

[edit on 8/2/2009 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Swinggal, I think this is a thread about the 'militant atheist' types- not atheists in general. And let's face it, the militant type does exist. If you're not one of them, I see no reason to take offense to it.

- Mark Schnitzius

Sorry, but this type of atheist isn't that common. This thread speaks as if atheists are standing on corners, yelling that there is no god and shoving pamphlets in your hand. It just doesn't happen that often.

In fact, I have never had an atheist come to my door and make me listen to them. But just last week, I had a whole family of Christians come to my door. When I politely told them that I work from home, and can not speak to them, the man started talking louder and asking if I knew Christ. That felt militant to me. I slammed the door in his face. He probably thinks I'm a militant atheist..

So its all in the perception...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

reply to post by spines

I think the main difference is, atheists haven't gone galavanting across the globe killing those who refuse to find...no-god.

You should look into STATE ATHEISM.

Some of us here on ATS know lil' bit more about "atheistic states" than ya all

Few different dogmatic forms of Marxism in the countries with totalitarian regimes listed in the article were indeed anti-religious and some very, very bad things were done in that respect ...

However, totalitarian regime is the key word here, not the individual view that there is no God.

Anyways ...

I think "Evangelical Atheists" are bad side effect of religious indoctrination itself.

You would think that indoctrination "experts" would develop more efficient method by now

When person who is more naturally inclined to reason then fate awakes, you will sometimes get what I call "angry atheist".

It is a mix of rage towards indoctrinators and sadness for all the time wasted on something they were never meant to think ...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join