It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel this is proof that W.O.W is affecting teenagers minds.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I forgot to mention in my previous post, this is no reason for the game to be "stopped" as I think the OP stated. Most players can handle playing the game just fine.

Also, there are Parental Controls that parents need to use if they think their kids aren't being responsible with the game. It's pretty simple to log on their official website and set up restrictions on the account.

In general, I think it boils down to parenting when it comes to kids playing WoW. But these kinds of complaints are what enables the government to create legislation to violate the rights of others just because some people are irresponsible. That's just my perspective...

[edit on 8/2/2009 by eMachine]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
GUYS, he stuck a remote up his butt. Clearly this is meant to be comical and not REAL. When you get really really upset, do you have the urge to pleasure yourself with a TV remote? Sure....maybe after you've cooled down a bit but surely not during your fit of rage!!!!

Plus, he is way too fit to be a WoW player. He has like a 6 pack, clearly not a gamer of any amount. Why would someone take off their shirt in a fit of rage? They wouldn't.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I read that in the German kid video, he is actually watching the Man United Vs. Bayern Munich game where MU had their famous come from behind win to with the European Cup. The story most think about is how awesome a way it was to win for MU. What few think about is how devastating it was to Bayern fans. It makes a whole lot more sense if you watch it assuming he is watching this soccer/football game and his favorite teams loses devastatingly.

I've also seen one where a young kid has set up an event of sorts in WOW (event or raid I guess you call it, i only stress-tested WOW for a week or so) and his group needs him. His parents come in and surprise him with something and they have to leave. He had no idea they were coming and had promised all these people in the group he'd be there. Now he feels like he's letting them down. It seems to me that kids get frustrated in the moment because their parent is trying to comfort them yes, but they are totally missing the point of his frustration, and just misunderstood about these video games.

What's the variable here? The variable is that these games are online. Kid's never freak out about single player games. They might not want to leave, they might want to sit around and be lazy, but they aren't going to flip out. When you add the online factor to it though, they now have people relying on them to stick around and finish up whatever the group set out on, and they don't want to let their friends down. That's the tip of the iceberg.

Parents and people who don't play these games, they can ridicule and scoff and further the divide between themselves and their friends that seem to get "sucked into" these games, or they can attempt to understand and work with better understanding of what's going on at least.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
wow can be verry addicting. i know somone who plays it on a regular non stop basis. they stay awake for days and dont sleep or wont sleep and have to drag themselves to work and take no doze. i played it for a couple of months and realized i had to stop because i plaed it from the time i work up to the time i had to sleep and dident eat or drink and lost over 20 lbs siting at a keybord. games arnt bad when you can controll what you do but that game is addicting.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
wow can be verry addicting. i know somone who plays it on a regular non stop basis. they stay awake for days and dont sleep or wont sleep and have to drag themselves to work and take no doze. i played it for a couple of months and realized i had to stop because i plaed it from the time i work up to the time i had to sleep and dident eat or drink and lost over 20 lbs siting at a keybord. games arnt bad when you can controll what you do but that game is addicting.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I think video games do affect the minds of teenagers and young adults, on many levels, and very much so on a subliminal level.
Those of you cracking jokes about a youngin unable to hold a rifle for so many hours and running out tossing grenades and wondering where he will spawn next. You're spot on.

Imagine if you will a simulator, where the child views his own death over a thousand times, views himself killing someone hundreds of thousands of times. Already understands the concept to propperly shoot a fully automatic weapon(Better than other poor children who have not done the same.). Then three months of boot camp, now you have a brainwashed trooper with just enough self preservation to "Keep a high score". And more than willing to throw his life away for a target of opportunity. I bet if Jihadist's only knew the extent of our brainwashing in comparison to theirs, they'd give up.

Maybe video games arn't that sophisticated. Maybe they are. (They will be soon at the very least.)Two months ago I walked into a marine recruiter's office. The job I wanted was unavailabe because it was full. Infantry was full during two wars.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Zealott]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
No offense to whom ever thinks that this is real... But sorry, It's obviously FAKE! Look how the kid reacts, Look at what he does it's completely set up from start to finish.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by eMachine
Here's a video that I think was posted on ATS before. When your character dies in the game, you spawn as a ghost at an angelic-looking thing called the Spirit Healer and you have to run back to your body to come back to life. While you're a ghost, you hear these wispy spirit world sounds, and next to the Spirit Healer you can hear this.

Yeah, but you're never at the graveyard long enough for it to sink in. Plus, once you know there's a tongue-in-cheek subliminal message in the Spirit Healer's whispers, the effect is nullified.

It's just a joke.

Also, I've always thought her whispers sounded like Parseltongue.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
First off I want to thank every one for there opinions.
After it was brought to my attention that there was other videos of this same kid acting this way. I will agree that this video is more then likey fake, but i also think there are many kids that would act this way over things like this. For those of you who say that games are ment to be addicting. do you think that some games are made to be more addicting then others? If so why wouldnt every game be made this way so they would sell more copys. In my opinion I feel that if they where trying to control kids or use games to send subliminal messages to kids RPGS are the games that would be best to use. Because I know that games like pac-man or dig-dug would never make any one lose there job or spend hours after hours sitting in the house in front of the tv.

but once again THANK YOU all for your opinions and keep them comeing they are helping me learn more and more about why games are so addicting

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soulhacking
It was a horrible experience that ended in with me beating walls and smashing several keyboard to pieces and throwing them at walls. I have never ever been so angry or engulfed in full blown rage in my entire life then the times I've played it. Its the way the game is designed its made to drive you insane That unreal kid was nowhere near as angry as I've been..

WOW wasn't designed to make you do any such thing. If you behaved that way because of a game, that was your own fault. I have never in the year I've been playing, broken one piece of equipment or acted rashly. Have I ever gotten mad because the stinking filthy high-level Horde ganked me repeatedly when I was low-level? Yes. Did I ever get frustrated when my group wiped in a dungeon because someone made a bone-headed move and aggroed 30 mobs before we were ready for the next single one? You betcha. But I've never, never been so upset at blips on my screen that I've broken a keyboard. That's on you, friend.

I would participate in player vs player games in order to get equipment (armor and swords). You are forced to actively participate in what are called battlegrounds or arenas to get honor points to buy the stuff.

You're not "forced" into the battlegrounds. If you want PvP gear, the way to get it is to earn honor points. You do that through the BGs. Don't like PvP battle? Then stay outta the Gulch.

The way they had the game set up someone could walk up to you and kill you dead over and over with no way to fight back.

This is called "griefing" and if that happens, you can get a GM to help you. A gank here and there is fair play, but corpse camping is usually considered uncool.

Here is an example a warlock comes near you he casts fear dot fear again fear again ,you die or a priest uses brainwashing on you and makes your avatar jump off a cliff ala assisted suicide.

What did you play? A mage? C'mon...those players were just...playing. You have to learn to defend yourself and unleash Hades on them. Only two things can be said about this line...no QQ and L2P.

Now put up with that 60 hours a week to get one piece of equipment. By end of one week you are already on the edge of mental breakdown.

You spent entirely too much time playing badly. When you play well, you gleam with accomplishment. Unless you're a paladin, in which case, you gleam with awesomeness just because you're a paladin. (Yes, I'm a paladin.)

Well...gotta scoot...battle for Wintergrasp starts in 10 minutes.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dmorgan
I played WoW for a couple of years and stopped at the end of last year. Since I stopped playing I have occasional dreams (once a month) about the game and they make me want to play again, even though I don't get any fulfillment out of it anymore and haven't for a long time.

No other game has affected me like this, and I didn't even play it compulsively. I find it slightly disturbing.

It's the occult symbols and stuff... WoW is nice after only a while. It becomes like a chore or another job if you play it everyday, it's actually stressful to play... I could see why teens are most affected because they don't have real jobs yet....

Anyway, the occult stuff is actually giving me headaches. You might be able to avoid this problem by disabling the spell details or the sliders regarding spells and effects all the way to the left...

It also helps that you mute the sounds for a while(it's not a FPS game anyway where sound is very important). That may be the reason I never get dreams bout this game even after a long time without playing.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Copernicus
I played WoW for 10 weeks and I enjoyed it, but when realizing it was all a never-ending hamster wheel where Blizzard would simply put in new items every now and then, I lost interest in it. Why spend my time hunting virtual items when the hunt will never be over?

Sounds like real life to me. Life is also one great big hamster wheel of jobs and cars and houses and toys. Wanting a proto drake isn't much different than wanting a BMW. Wanting Justicar, or the Insane floating over your head isn't much different than wanting PhD or CEO after your name.

If you want to say that WoW is a fantasy world designed to trap our minds and distract us from things that matter, I agree. But so is real life.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Who cares? It isn't affecting you so why does it matter? It's just a video game, people get addicted to all kinds of things that they could freak out about if suddenly taken away.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Novise

Now here is an interesting angle...
Why exactly is it easier to understand if a person freaks out over watching other people, who he has no relation to whatsoever, play a game, than over playing a game himself?

As for those who suggest these kids need medical attention & physical violence: No, they need acting classes and creative writing classes.
To paraphrase another poster: nothing to see here. Just teens trying to get attention.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
LOL

that is nothing, i played for like 5yrs and we had this guild leader that every week during a raids would just flip the F* out, screaming and yelling lol

he beat the guild into shape doing that, but man, lol i'd just sit back and laff

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
IMHO, all the first person shooters are to prepare the next generation for hte next world war which will be taking place in/around 2013.
The war to end all wars

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Well, only if they get those robots up and running to spec quick smart, because the only way that would work is if the kids used a keyboard and mouse to aim and kill..

I won't even go into console based ones, where the legal aimbot gets you a kill over actually aiming...

But how does one aim a weapon irl, if they've never used anything but a mouse?

Reminds me a bit of an Episode of Atlantis where they fought each other in virtual machines...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ratphour
Haha.. I agree with you 100%. That kid who plays COD4 all day long, if he was in a foxhole, would lose patience after a few boring hours and probably charge outta the fox hole guns a blazing, tossing grenades like crazy, and end up dying.. His last thoughts before dying would probably be, "Wonder where I'll respawn?"

And he'll probably have the martyr perk on and not realise that in this server, team kill is on all the time.

Damn noobs..

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

Originally posted by dmorgan
I played WoW for a couple of years and stopped at the end of last year. Since I stopped playing I have occasional dreams (once a month) about the game and they make me want to play again, even though I don't get any fulfillment out of it anymore and haven't for a long time.

No other game has affected me like this, and I didn't even play it compulsively. I find it slightly disturbing.

It's the occult symbols and stuff... WoW is nice after only a while. It becomes like a chore or another job if you play it everyday, it's actually stressful to play... I could see why teens are most affected because they don't have real jobs yet....

Anyway, the occult stuff is actually giving me headaches. You might be able to avoid this problem by disabling the spell details or the sliders regarding spells and effects all the way to the left...

It also helps that you mute the sounds for a while(it's not a FPS game anyway where sound is very important). That may be the reason I never get dreams bout this game even after a long time without playing.

The insanity level on this site has gotten so #ing crazy over the years...wow.

Anything you spend a lot of time (a couple years in this case) doing will appear in your dreams. I've had things I've spent minutes doing appear in dreams...

Please tell me about all the occult stuff in the game and how it goes away when you turn down spell detail and sound.

And guess what? It's not out of the norm for people to get headaches from playing video games.

And to the person who thinks FPS games are to prepare teens for a coming war: was the maker of Doom forced to make an FPS and thus create the genre to train our teens? Thats laughable.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by PullThePin]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Its just addicting thats why

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
[quoteSince I stopped playing I have occasional dreams

That happens to me quite often. I often dream that I am mining. I see the node highlighted on my minimap. I begin racing there after switching on humanoid track - Want to make sure the Titanium doesn't get stolen! In my dream I never get there in time....it's a nightmare actually.

In any case, people play WoW and live fulfilling lives. I'm aggravated when MMOS are in the news, always there is that insinuation that the player is fat, lazy and unemployed - or alternativley a kid.

I have three level 80s - priest, hunter and druid, all fully epic, all with flying epic mounts and healthy bank balances. I also have a full time job, friends that don't play WoW, and a generally fulfilling life. You can HAVE both.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Merigold]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join