It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I feel this is proof that W.O.W is affecting teenagers minds.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I have concerns about my brother, who is 23. I don't know the name of the particular war game he plays, but he spends his whole day in his room in front of his computer smoking pot and getting way too into the whole war vibe.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Video games can affect people. They can get so sucked into the game that any distractions (time to clean this, time to go to school/work, having to get off the computer/TV so someone else can use it) pretty much anger the person. I used to be that way myself, but I'm a bit older now. I think Kaytagg (2nd poster) is right; your personality will define how you react.

If a person is doing something enjoyable (which video games are designed to be), why would they want to stop? Getting upset over the fact that you have to stop is childish and immature. I used to play WoW, but stopped for almost a year because I did not have time to play. Now things are a bit different and just a couple of weeks ago I began playing again; the difference is now I know how to balance my time and I don't have the desire to play non-stop.

There's a good and bad side to video games. I think they are fun, and good entertainment. They build hand-eye coordination and keep kids out of trouble (don't start blaming games for violence, violence has been around much longer than the games). The bad side of video games is that they can be addictive. Also, people are playing more video games instead of reading books, having hobbies, or getting outside. Balance is needed, as with everything in life. There are some people out there that are not going to understand that, no matter what you tell them. As far as kids getting upset because they have to quit playing games...well, they're kids, what do you expect?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
ive been playing wow for a few years now and i must say it is highly addictive. For the first 6 months i would play for hours on end but now its just an effort. Dosnt mean i dont enjoy jumping on and slaying a few horde scum ;P lol
ITS JUST A GAME!!!!!!! For the alliance......
Shadow priests FTW
oh also i have friends that have been consumed by this game,and lost jobs over it,lol but thats choice and theres worse things they coud be doing.
peace

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Truespirit82]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Truespirit82

It is addictive, no question.

I played almost three years and decided to quit recently and I will admit its the hardest habit Ive ever broken. Harder by far than cigarettes. Actual withdrawals seemed to set in .

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Henop
I have concerns about my brother, who is 23. I don't know the name of the particular war game he plays, but he spends his whole day in his room in front of his computer smoking pot and getting way too into the whole war vibe.

Probably Call of Duty series, my nephew is addicted to that game hardcore, and if he can't play it (on the ps3) then he goes to the computer and will go on a grind session of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Through out the entire summer so far, I would estimate 80% of his free time was spent playing video games, and the other 20% of the time he actually went outside and did something constructive. I talked to my sister regarding this, but I guess she just lets it go in one ear and out the other.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well, I never got into the World of Warcraft scene, but for a while I was heavily addicted to Final Fantasy XI Online and Lineage II.. But I saw the games as a endless wheel, that just keeps rolling, no matter how good you get in the game, someone will always be better. So I moved on..

Now I'm lucky if I actually sit down and play a game..

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The point where you really begin to realize that its all over-blown acting is when the kid tried to put the controller up his butt, that is where it just goes so far over the top that it positively has to be fake. It is quite entertaining however to imagine someone being so wound up over WoW that they go to those lengths.

Having played WoW since the Vanilla days (before any of the expansions) I can say it certainly will draw you in, but eventually you either learn to deal with managing your time or you wind up w/o a job and unable to play anyway. If you really wan't to see( or rather hear ) some people truly freaking out check out some of the Ventrilo recordings up on youtube from WoW, some are pure gold.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Video games, just like television are very addictive. I play Xbox, but I also know when to stop and that it's tough to just put it down.

We try to have family game nights but it's tough to compete with the pre packaged thrill a person receives from a video game.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

That boy needs a right,hard kick up the arse!!
What a spoilt brat!
But the fact that his Dad did'nt stop him,when he saw he had a baseball bat,leads me to believe,that this could have been staged!
I hope so,for his parents sake!!

[edit on 2-8-2009 by scobro]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
WoW affects EVERYONE'S minds.

As a player myself, I know this firsthand.

The question is, is it now subliminal mind control?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This should probably be moved to psychology forum because it really isn't a conspiracy except for the fact that Blizzard does conspire to get subscriptions and maintain them through this addiction.

It is an addiction, believe me, I know from first hand experience. I've played this game since it's inception (6 years maybe?). You work very hard to build your characters, you spend ALOT of time on them whether it is playing the game or researching on the internet the best spec build for your character, and you have a big investment in them (emotionally and time wise). To compound the addiction, it's also a very social game. Over time, you can make some very good friends that you not only play the game with but sometimes they become "real life" friends too. To enable this, you have in-game "guilds" of friends that you spend all this time with. It becomes another part of your life - how much is dependent only on you. The voice chat feature of this game ensures that you can communicate audibly whether just chatting with your friends or coordinating a boss fight. You can make very good friends no matter where they are in the world.

I believe that when someone is not getting what they need from the "real" world this "virtual" world is a substitute - and to be honest, it's not a bad substitute if you handle it correctly. It is definitely an escape because your characters are only limited by the effort you put into it. That is not the case in the real world and where much of the frustration come from with most people. We're taught if we work hard enough we can attain anything. Not so in real life. but in WoW definitely so.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I played WoW for 10 weeks and I enjoyed it, but when realizing it was all a never-ending hamster wheel where Blizzard would simply put in new items every now and then, I lost interest in it. Why spend my time hunting virtual items when the hunt will never be over? The hunt wasnt even enjoyable anymore after so many weeks, it was just a chore.

Also you need to level your character so it can enter the best dungerons, and thats a hamster wheel in itself, constantly trying to get experience points by doing monotone boring quests or killing monsters so your character levels. The game is built up to be a grind that never ends.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by Copernicus]

That sounds so satanic it's not even funny. Actually that sounds like the world today. At least our westernized society. New ipods, new cell phones, new laptops, are you going to get the new ___(insert item here) next week? If you're not you're losing the game of life right?
This is a prison inside of a larger prison. As if we are not already stuck as souls inside a human body, we are stuck in a system inside of another system and another system to keep us fighting against each other or not thinking about reality. This game is just another layer of these systems of mind enslavement.

I find it funny how you said it just becomes a chore later on. Sounds like new jobs, you are all into them, want to figure out what they are all about, you do the work, get paid (hopefully better than the last one or so) and you are excited about it. Then it just becomes a mundane everyday thing to do and you just become depressed over it.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
IMHO, all the first person shooters are to prepare the next generation for hte next world war which will be taking place in/around 2013.
The war to end all wars

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I played WoW for two months and it was pretty boring. Too many people take the internet way too seriously and tend to rage quit. Yes I have an addiction to the Football Manager series and I even dress up with a suit and club scarf when I play. I yell at the players on my screen and even hold press conferences in my bathroom
I have spent 783 hours playing FM09 this year. Last year I played 723 hours of FM08. Then again I travel a lot and I have an laptop but besides the hours of studying the Ka-50 manual for DCS Black Shark I haven't ever been obsessed with a game.

Some people get addicted to certain games...its not the softwares fault. Ive played WOW, EVE, Everquest and Anarchy Online. I had a lot of fun ratting in EVE but even that got old. Also as mentioned before if he really wanted to play he could GET A JOB, go buy loads of prepaid cards or buy accounts. And then he could grind his lvl 51 Troll Hunter.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeetontheconspiracy
IMHO, all the first person shooters are to prepare the next generation for hte next world war which will be taking place in/around 2013.
The war to end all wars

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

So if I drop 40's during CEVO matches in COD4 then I will be the future version of Patton?
Just get the entire CEVO divisions to fight our enemies. We would bunnyhop and prone jump our way to victory.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I almost feel that the W.O.W. kid has Autism or some disorder of the same genre. It could be staged too, who knows...

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by skeetontheconspiracy

...are you serious? Playing a video game and actually being in a War are two COMPLETELY different things. I wouldn't want some lazy ass kid who plays COD4 all day, being in my foxhole lol. Just because he can hold up a controller for eight hours doesn't mean he can hold an M4 or M16 for the same amount of time. Seriously though, that's a ludicrous thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
here's an epic WOW freakout. Story is that the kid's mother cancelled his subscription. Dunno if is fake or what -- is funny though.

* To embed Youtube video:

1/ go to the youtube page where the vid is at

2/in the address bar of your browser, you get the page URL. Looks like this:
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YersIyzsOpc"

3/ignore everything before the "=" bit of the url. The bit after the "=" is the video number. ie "YersIyzsOpc" is the video number for this video.

Highlight the video number by click-dragging over it. Press Ctrl+c to copy it, or right-click it and press "Copy". Or just write it down.

4/ Go back to your thread/comment. Just over the box where you write stuff, you see options to change font, insert links etc. On the far-right, there's a button called "YouTube Video".
Click that.

5/ In the window that pops up, paste the video number you got from stage 3 above. (to paste, either press Ctrl+v, or right-click in the text box and press "Paste". Or type in the number if you wrote it down). Press "Enter"

[edit on 2-8-2009 by eniac]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
good posts i mean most of those vids if not all are acted and fakes just to get attention but i do believe it affects us that should be apparent. if you don't think it has no effect talk to a a kid that grew up watching b.e.t and family guy and you will see a big difference in there perceptions. w.o.w is no different. I play so i know i'm sure many of you on this site play it. Its demonic even if you don't believe in demons and angels you can see it everywhere. It's a fun ass game though but it becomes a drug to a lot of people at some point.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I feel this is proof that ATS is affecting your minds.

it's a game just a game
this kids have a problem, and we are all addicted to something
tv,game,drink,smoking,sex and then!!!
this our society we contribute eatch day, we are all brainwashed.
we think we are smart because we talk about it here in ATS because we know what is going wrong.
but we are like this kid addicted to something. addicted to money tomorow if you loose your money you will act like him.becasue the roots of all this addiction is money the master of the world .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join