It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Murchison meteorite and the possibility of extraterrestrial life...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Ever wonder if extraterrestrial life exists? Sure, maybe we all have, but I am not talking about intelligent creatures like ourselves ( and I am not talking about smarter or less intelligent creatures than ourselves either
). I am just talking about any lifeforms that may exist outside of Earth. What are the possibilities that such life exists? I know, I know, this is a hot topic, and I don't want to get into numbers and what if's, but take a look at the Murchison meteorite.

Amino acids, based on this wiki link, were found in this meteorite. Amino acids, if you didn't know, are some of the basic components of life. So maybe lifeforms of some kind do exist somewhere out there. I am not trying to prove this, I am just trying to give you something to think about.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
That some of the building blocks of life have been found in various extraterrestrial sources is very interesting. But the mechanism which would cause for these simple chemicals to coalesce into the very complex molecules which life requires is not understood. Assuming it does happen though, what the discovery of these substances implies is that if other life does evolve by using them, it is likely that that it would not be very dissimilar from life on Earth.

Of course, life on Earth has does a very wide variety, both in form and in the environments it is capable of surviving in.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It seems to me that every discovery from other planets or planet sources (meteorites) always have identifiable content, things we have on earth. I drew an opinion and until it is proven to not be, I will continue to believe it, here it is:

everything is made of the same components. Every person, the dirt, the sky, the water, earth, the moon, mars, venus, ect, all have the same components, they are just put together in different ways. Example, water on mars, only it is underground and frozen, iron on mars, only it is more abundant than on earth therefore the red color of mars is present.

So I do think life would just about have to exsist pretty much everywhere, just not in the forms we traditionally consider.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

I hope you realize that, for ATS, you are taking a very conservative approach to this subject.

There is tons of what I believe scientists call "anecdotal" evidence for the long-term existence of all manner of life forms in the universe.

I have even heard it seriously stated that all life on this planet was put here by an ancient civilization that was in the business of designing life forms to suit different planetary environments.

There are several writers who consider it more or less a foregone conclusion that the human race is extraterrestrial in origin. So, should you decide to re-visit your thread, I hope you are not too surprised at what twists and turns it may have taken!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Of course there is life out there.

Do we think that we are so important, that ours is the only planet hosting life?

It has always seemed obvious to me that there are many life forms out there.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
course there is life godam why does this site go around in circles and circles, really losing its credibility by stupid posts like this

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by awakeningaussie
course there is life godam why does this site go around in circles and circles, really losing its credibility by stupid posts like this

Harsh.

I thank the OP for the link. Yes, statistically is is PROBABLE that there is life elsewhere but we've yet to prove it.

So please engage the grey matter before being so rude.

new topics

top topics

join