It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Makes a Song Good, or Great?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
she says it comes from her heart.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Whenever I hear Claire de Lune (Moonlight) by DeBussy, I am moved to tears for some reason. Classical music can be emotional and evocative without the benefit / hinderance of lyrics.

Beautiful! Like you, this one moves me to tears.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

beautiful song.

everyone should add something like this.
reminds me of my mental state when iwas a kid, reading arthur c. clarke books. weird, isn't it. oh, sweet music, you are my memories lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

It is rather amazing how we all seem to relate music to our good and bad experiences is it not.

Maybe that is what makes a masterpiece regardless of lyrics?

Was KK's song he picked as I am sure you know, I just thought he might appreciate someone finding it for others to hear.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yep, dat be it. Thanks. I needed a good boo-hoo tonight.
(Good bio on composer in link, thanks.)

As sanchoearlyjones inferred before, there must be some subliminal math or some type of harmonic frequency in the old classics that rattle our emotions.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

kk: thanks for the suggestion.

triple x: i'm in a "thoughtfull" mood right now. makes me treasure these common tastes we all share. ya know, in times of retrospection....used to make a lot of music when i was younger...brings back only the positives of those memories. there's something to be said about that.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

wish i could star you...totally agree...i always said there's ntohing to lyrics, really, but i could never understand why.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
As we are in BTS, I contradict my prior rant about Music Videos.

This one WILL blow your mind (watch until end)...................................................

Direct Link

Seamless effects work. Simple concept, how a single random event can change your whole life.

Regards...KK

[edit on 1-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Wow, I cant watch in my country due to copyright.

Thats a bit dull.

:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
this is what i mean by "requiem for a dream". lux aeterna, it's called.
man it was majestic when i was 13.
it's where lord of th rings got it from.

lux aeterna

[edit on 1-8-2009 by heyo]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

I have heard that a lot through my life, weird.

I dont associate that song with good things. I have no idea why that is but it creeps me out

Its still a good song though but it simply creeps me out if that makes sense.

I can kind of imagine the melody being played over a scenario such as this around 2:20 mins...

I guess everythings a story to me these days though.

[edit on 2-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I'm a songwriter. One thing that always grabs me is how good lyrics and music paint a picture, transporting you instantly to some other place. (If that was the intent.) For instance, I can't hear a Brian Wilson tune and not think of waves breaking on a beach for a very blatant example.

I have many great favorites and examples of great songwriting. It might seem cliche' but this guy is right up there with Irving Berlin and the other greats of American songwriting.

There's none better in the last half century. If you could ever capture Paul Simon's secret you would have exactly what makes a song great. And maybe that's it, you can't and so your search is never ending. And that's not such a bad thing, is it?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I appreciate all types music, but what makes a song good, great or outstanding?

I have been around music all my life, and learned to play instruments before knowing and understanding notes, theory, and progressing to musical studies at a university, but what always gets me is that people know what a good or great song is without knowing anything about music theory. Just because it makes them feel good or lifts their spirits.

Why are classics timeless? How do they seem to transcend the bonds of time, eras, generations, fads?

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bach, Hayden, Beethoven, BB. King, and more.

Here is just one an example.

Name a favorite of yours and tells us why, then find a link to the song if you can.

Peace

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Realtruth]

Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting this topic.
I've always been intrigued by this question also.

I've recently been listening to some of Beethoven's symphonies, live recording from like the 40'/50's with the composer Wilhelm Furtwangler.

Also I've been giving Frederic Chopin a serious listen also, performed by Rubinstein.

And of course there's many legendary artists subsequential to this, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis etc etc

I'm just picking names out a hat, but defining legends for their music...their just doesn't seem to be a precise science to really explain it. Just, we seem to know somehow.

I know you can study mathematics behind music, I've been reading a paper recently explaining a lot of of the maths behind music, of course it can't give a definitive answer to quantify the genius behind excerpts, there's a lot of psychology involved too I guess and possibly other areas of study. But, maths seems to help explain some of the nitty-gritty aspects behind musical theory just like I guess Quantum Physics does in science.

I'm not a musical theory genie at all, but one of the things maths can do is help define consonance and dissonance with notes. The most consonant sound is the perfect 5th for any tonic note or octave - your basic power chord. If you take an A for example with a frequency at 55Hz if you double that frequency you get the octave which is 110Hz if you double the frequency again you get 220Hz which is an octave higher again. So you just double or halve the frequency and you have an octave for any note. So between those frequencies you have mathematical partials where the rest of the notes come in!

Again, If you take an A for example: 55Hz + 55Hz = 110Hz (octave). Now add 55Hz to that and you get 155Hz (perfect 5th) now add 155Hz + 55Hz = 220Hz (the octave). 220Hz + 55Hz = 275Hz (Maj 3rd). Now add 275Hz + 55Hz = 330Hz (perfect 5th). Now add 330Hz + 55Hz = 385 Hz (minor 7th). 385Hz + 55Hz = 440Hz (octave).

So by adding the frequency of the note each time to review the partials seem to be:

Tonic note - octave 1 - Perfect 5th - octave 2 - Maj 3rd - perfect 5th - minor 7 - octave 3....goes on and on until we reach beyond 20 000 Hz where we can't hear anymore

The two most consonant sounds the Perfect 5th and the Maj 3rd have the smallest ratio to the tonic note. So they're more closely related and sound the most consonant.

That's just a fraction of what maths can help explain

I wonder if we can use maths alone to dissect classic pieces of music and perhaps help give a calculated answer as to why the music works so well to listen to?

I mean, If anybody is up for the grueling task. It still seems like relatively fresh territory to cover. Assuming it's possible to quantify genius behind musical excerpts in this manner.

Hope I wasn't too wayy off topic. Great thread.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

exactly. and there isnt alot of that out there these days.

music just dosent seem to make you feel anymore. music isnt longing like it used to be, its just one hit wonders looking for a quick buck with a flashy film clip and lots of bling.

music post 2000 was just better period (sorry i cant explain) and reminded you of a place in time...... thats the differance

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The ones that really never get old for me are the ones that, with a clever turn of phrase and just the right emotional quality, wrap my psychological issues up in a neat little package that I can set on the shelf and ignore for the rest of the night after I've played through the song (or a soundtrack of related songs) a few times. On a psychological level, I like my music to be a loud noise that temporarily deafens me to that horrible grinding sound in my head (figuratively speaking, i assure you).

Of course I love most of the usual suspects for a guy who hears music that way-
Alice Cooper, Metallica, etc

but Tom Petty and Johnny Cash and plenty of others have done it just as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join