It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Makes a Song Good, or Great?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I appreciate all types music, but what makes a song good, great or outstanding?

I have been around music all my life, and learned to play instruments before knowing and understanding notes, theory, and progressing to musical studies at a university, but what always gets me is that people know what a good or great song is without knowing anything about music theory. Just because it makes them feel good or lifts their spirits.

Why are classics timeless? How do they seem to transcend the bonds of time, eras, generations, fads?

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bach, Hayden, Beethoven, BB. King, and more.

Here is just one an example.

Name a favorite of yours and tells us why, then find a link to the song if you can.

Peace

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Realtruth]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
oh my, well you seem to have forgotten Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Cream, The Beatles, jimi Hendrix.......

I think what makes a timeless song/band is whether or not it touches you. You know sends that feeling of excitement or awe through you.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Not forgotten at all the list can go on and on.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, opera singers like Luciano, or Andre Boccelli.

Rush, AC/DC, Queen.

Glen Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Andrew Sisters.

Originally posted by phi1618
oh my, well you seem to have forgotten Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Cream, The Beatles, jimi Hendrix.......

I think what makes a timeless song/band is whether or not it touches you. You know sends that feeling of excitement or awe through you.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
eeew i hate rush, i don't know why i just really really dislike rush for some unknown reason

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I don't know but this song makes me have to dance. and then on the flip side this song moves me too.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by seagrass] oops disabled.. oh well

[edit on 1-8-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I appreciate all types music, but what makes a song good, great or outstanding?

I have been around music all my life, and learned to play instruments before knowing and understanding notes, theory, and progressing to musical studies at a university, but what always gets me is that people know what a good or great song is without knowing anything about music theory. Just because it makes them feel good or lifts their spirits.

Why are classics timeless? How do they seem to transcend the bonds of time, eras, generations, fads?

Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Bach, Hayden, Beethoven, BB. King, and more.

Here is just one an example.

Name a favorite of yours and tells us why, then find a link to the song if you can.

Peace

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Realtruth]

How it subliminally plays with your emotions and the feeling you get when you hear it.

There are certain video game songs or songs in general that just bring me back to my childhood when I hear them and I get this tingling in my well i guess my heart or around it and throughout my body and I just feel " right" .....

Hard to explain ....It's something you must feel to fully understand and I'm sure many know what I am talking about....

The music has to be good......If it's going to be up beat it must have a GREAT beat.....

Bass is essential and often over looked...

The beat and bass can carry a song a long way...

IF you can mix complex ryhthms and harmonies that are " easy" to listen to for the normal people are not musically trained then you also have a better chance of creating a better song as it will seem less dull and boring and more creative...

There must be a nice balance of every sound within the mix....Nothing taking away from anything else and nothing so over the top that it distracts you from the rest of the song.

If there are vocals then " just enough" vocals is key, without getting too repetitive.

I personally love atmospheres and pads and drawn out synths that just kind of make me zone out and think..

Anyways just my 2 cents...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Anyone watch T.V.? There is a commercial for Bacardi Mojito's on T.V. being played a lot. It is REALLY catchy and the video for the song is cool. I was surprised seeing the music performers from what I pictured while hearing the song.

Here is the Music Video

It is really catchy and I think it is just this couple Matt and Kim. They are giving the song away from for download at their record label.

They do not stop SMILING! The song and video combination make me just want to smile like crazy!

The Alcohol commercial puts me in a different mood though. It makes me think of more of a sly, sophisticated up scale club elite A list V.I.P. mood.

I think the imagery associated with music is a powerful emotional stimulator!

Kind of like the difference between reading a book and seeing the movie of it.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here is that same song in the Bacardi Mojito commercial. It definitely gives me a different vibe. Maybe it releases a different amount of different chemicals to control my emotion?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Many songs for me are just during certain emotional moments of my life. Movies such as Amadeus. Holiday music etc. Mostly my childhood I both loved and hated.

Don't ever say show tunes though.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some for me were playing in high school cafeteria

Lady by Styx Knights in White Satin Moody Blues

I have the best of the Moody Blues cd in my car. There's songs I used to like that my second wife played that are now too depressing.

Another depressing song I hated was In the Ghetto by Elvis Presley

Hated Someone left the cake out in the rain ugh.

There are some great classics though. I wasn't that much into music myself. It was just background music for me.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
For me music is all about emotion. Music has to invoke emotions in me. I listen to alot of music from movie soundtracks to when I'm in the mood to think. I listen to heavier music when I'm feeling apathetic towards life(Angry music makes me feel alive sometimes, you know?). There's even songs I love that if I were to listen to them when I was feeling low I would feel distress, but in a good way.

Music is about emotion. Time and place. Ever heard a song that reminds you of a certain nightclub or bar. Or maybe a song that would remind you of a person you would go out and party with. Songs that remind you of someone you love or one that got away. An ex or a specific time frame. Thats what music is to me. There's albums I could listen to now and remember being 16 or 17 again...

Ahh nostalgia...

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Over time, i've almost stopped listening to music, except when i feel a little bit "vulnerable", aka, no longer in control. Then, there is no band, there is just a playlist of songs that i've listened to in a congruent mood that i've found make me feel better and so i play them.
Man when i was younger tho i used to rock out.
then again, i used to do a lot of things.

Now?

Gimme some rock'n'roll hits from the nineties. nirvana. yeah, i said rock and roll cause that's MY rock and roll lol. deal with it.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I had typed a big long post but what the heck, I deleted most of it for this...

My personal favourite, being a scotsman (bagpipes), has to be Amazing Grace which I listen to whenever I need to remember why I need to keep going in life when times are hard like they are for myself but most importantly my family and friends....

give it a listen with your volume almost full and tell me that doesnt move ya

Cheers

[edit on 1-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

If it makes me move, physically or emotionally. That is when I connect to a song. I either feel it, inside, you know how you can either relate to the words or the sound of the music is haunting to you. Or the beat makes me feel like dancing around!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think for the classics at least, they are hitting, or tuning into natural things. Whether it be numbers from sacred geometry, or possibly vibration/frequency.

I've long wondered if the hit song writers consciously, or subconsciously are tapping into that very thing. Good thread
s+F

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

i'd have to disagree with you sancho, bro. My favourite songs i got with the cd you you get with the vice subscription.

rule number one is don't talk about vice subscriprtions tho.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
i guess what i'm trying to say is that there's some song sthat become inexplicably important to a person.
like for me, this one.

boomboomsatellites-anthem

reminds me of requiem for a dream, at the end. that's where that started....

[edit on 1-8-2009 by heyo]

[edit on 1-8-2009 by heyo]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The short answer to the question.....talent.

For those who favor lyrics, I say balderdash. I love Classical. (Anything that has been around for 100 years is worth listening to.)

Whenever I hear Claire de Lune (Moonlight) by DeBussy, I am moved to tears for some reason. Classical music can be emotional and evocative without the benefit / hinderance of lyrics.

EDIT TO ADD: I think Music Videos have RUINED modern music. (Unless it's just a performance piece) The VIEWER becomes influenced by the Video Director's interpretation rather than their own. Thank Goodness I grew up in era of Stones / Beatles. (I have my OWN visual versions of their songs in my head.)

Nice thread idea.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I think that in music, as in fable, there are certain 'archetypes' that are imbedded in the melody that are capable of touching all people despite cultural boundaries. The 'great' song crafters have touched upon those archetypes. That's what makes a particular song iconic.

Years ago, while living in the Washington, D.C. area, I had the opportunity to make a lot of friends from different areas of the world. Some of them were 'right-off-the-boat', so to speak. What was interesting was, when I introduced them to certain pieces of classical western music their, visceral, emotional reaction was exactly what you would expect from someone who was familiar with that music.

For example, when I played Holst's "Mars" and asked what they thought of it, the reactions I got were: "It sounds like war", "It makes me feel something bad is happening", "It is a song of death", etc. They got it, without understanding what the specific history of what it was. Likewise, when I played Bach's, "Toccata and fugue, D minor", I was told it sounded, "sad", "spooky" or "lonely". Again, the tune touched them without them consciously knowing what context the music was in and their reaction was typical of most who were familiar with it.

Mozart hit almost everyone. Granted, most had heard some of his work (or at least of him) but still were obviously moved. Likewise, when a westerner hears a Maori war-chant, I don't think they really need an interpreter to understand that these guys are getting ready to fight.

Great songs do that; they hit upon an internal mechanism in all people that evokes an emotional response. Play the tune from "Jaws" and just about everyone looks over their shoulder.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Would that be this one?

My music teacher used to play this on piano when I was younger.

Beautiful sounds, it makes me wonder about the past in a way.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I have to say, there must be something to connecting to music. I love to sing karoke, I have made myself quite a star around here, and when I vacation I love to look up the karoke places and blow them away! My trick? Well, I only sing songs that I connect to. I am female, but a lot of what I sing are male sung songs. Like radiohead and counting crowes. But when I sing them, I love the songs, the words, they touch me, and so it also touches the crowd. They go crazy. But if I am asked by a fellow karoke singer to sing something with them, a song I don't really connect with, them I personally always think I suck, I hear myself and think it doesn't even sound like me!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join