It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Develops 'Cybug' Spies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Military Develops 'Cybug' Spies

Miniature robots could be good spies, but researchers now are experimenting with insect cyborgs or "cybugs" that could work even better.

Scientists can already control the flight of real moths using implanted devices.

The military and spy world no doubt would love tiny, live camera-wielding versions of Predator drones that could fly undetected into places where no human could ever go to snoop on the enemy. Developing such robots has proven a challenge so far, with one major hurdle being inventing an energy source for the droids that is both low weight and high power. Still, evidence that such machines are possible is ample in nature in the form of insects, which convert biological energy into flight.

It makes sense to pattern robots after insects — after all, they must be doing something right, seeing as they are the most successful animals on the planet, comprising roughly 75 percent of all animal species known to humanity. Indeed, scientists have patterned robots after insects and other animals for decades — to mimic cockroach wall-crawling, for instance, or the grasshopper's leap.

source here

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Seems like a good idea, even if they need to create cyborg bugs. Could help out police and soldiers out and possibly save a few lives.

or they will use it to spy on us, and that could be bad
could you image if something like this leaked into the public domain? i wouldn't feel safe taking a shower anymore.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Personally, I'd expect something more like a cyborg-rat sort of thing, instead of one that flies. It would be great if they could make a bug-cam that could fly into a clandestine meeting and eavesdrop, but that technology looks like it would take many years. A land-crawling device could be made fairly soon.

I wouldn't worry about using those insects to spy on us citizens. They use our cell phones already.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Here's an interesting one:

www.avinc.com...

They are getting smaller and smaller, though I imagine some power supply issues would develop as one gets to insect size.

Interesting and creepy stuff though ...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
wow, yea i wasnt too impressed until the last one, damn that thing was small.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

spying/

huh/

what use is it/

it is dumb and stupid...

military secrets are the most fleeting of all...

evasdroppers can be defeated easily using a radio.

pervs will love this....

and the tyrants.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I dont know how often I have to post this - sorry if it appears to be spam - it is not - it is simply the best book on robotic warfare ever written - Wired For War - Peter Singer.

READ IT.

new topics

top topics

join