It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betelgeuse going Supernova?....Sharpest ever images of Betelgeuse reveal how explosive red supergian

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
But here are the scientific facts (theories and conjectures based on reason):

Very interesting topic. It seems that they (People of Antiquity) have related this incident too the 2012 Mayan prophecies as well. Would be something else if this proved to be true for the Mayan calendar prediction..

ts coming and it may reach Earth before 2012. In fact the gamma rays from the Orion star Betelgeuse, when it goes ballistic [Supernova] may hit us any day!
Many people are predicting the end of the Earth when the second brightest star of the Orion Constellation goes Nova. The Internet is being flooded with articles concerning the event is part of the Mayan Calendar 2012 predictions and the end of the world. But what are the facts about this very unusual event located approximately 600 – 800 million light years away from Mother Earth? (The Astronomical Journal –April 2008)
Read more: scienceray.com...

Guess we will have to wait and see whats in store... Another note: "Is the estimation of Betelgeuse an accurate and irrefutable calculation for it's distance from the Earth to it's location?"

S&F, Thanks for sharing the info....

Just for accuracy's sake, Betelgeuse is NOT 600-800 million light years away, as the article states. It's 600 to 800 light years away (without the "million")

600 to 800 million light years would put it in a galaxy far, far away. There are a couple million galaxies between Earth and 600 to 800 million light years away.

edit on 12/14/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

That was why I had asked if there was any "TRUE" validation to sciences present day methods of measurement being accurate to these degrees of distances, but thanks for pointing it out.
I really couldn't find anything related specifically to having a super nova actually spewing space or celestial debris across the known universe, but I did find this tid-bit of info that does seem to correlate to what the origin's may be of our existence, or may be not...

Last Updated Aug 16, 2010

Supernovas and the Origins of Life

Astronomers have long known about the crucial role that supernovas play in forging and recycling atoms of elements needed for life. If the new hypothesis that supernovas also create a preference towards left-handed amino acids proves correct, then supernovas played an even larger role in the origin of life than astronomers and biologists had previously suspected. In their death throes, massive stars both sow the seeds for life and influence the form life takes.
It may seem that astronomical research is not important because cosmic objects are too distant to affect people and other life on Earth. Nothing could be further from the truth. Understanding the universe helps scientists answer the universal question all children and child-like adults ask: "Where did I come from?"
Read more at Suite101: Supernovas, Amino Acids, Formation of Elements, & Origin of Life

www.suite101.com...

Maybe the Mayans were aware of the fact that life was delivered from elsewhere, from somewhere else in the Universe?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's a really clear night here in the North of England . I've just been outside to have a cigarette and noticed Orion up above and Betelgeuse is not just twinkling , it's almost flickering . At first I thought it was a light from a helicopter .
If anybody else is in the UK , please go out and take a look .

Regards

<< 1  2   >>

join