It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your quirks?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Quirks. We all have them. You know, those little idiosyncrasies that dot our presence with a unique touch of eccentricity - the loud peel of laughter that sounds like it came from the first cousin of a hyena, the need to sleep with our socks on (black ones, no less), the gift of exaggeration when we tell a story, the loud sneeze in public that makes everyone within 10 feet run for cover. And the list goes on.......

So today I was walking to my local post office to buy a newspaper and feed the the post box. On my way I was stopped by a man asking if I had a light. He looked at me with the all too familiar desperate eyes of a chain smoker who had gone all of ten minutes without a fix.
He informed me that his lighter had ran out of fluid and he was desperate for a cigarette…of course he was.

Now what I did next I cant explain.

Instead of simply telling the truth by saying ‘sorry I don’t smoke, ergo I have no lighter’ I did something else. Something I always seem to do.

Eventually I did inform this desperate man that I didn’t smoke, but not before patting my pockets furiously to prove it. Why did I do that?

Did I want him to see I wasn’t lying?
Did I hope to find a lighter in my pocket on the off chance? Was I that eager to please this man?

I do the same to homeless people when they ask for ‘spare change’. I’ve never been a believer in ‘spare change’, especially in these financially hard times. Its not spare, its mine!
When asked I pat my pockets in a panicked state to prove that I indeed hold no such change. The problem here is that most of the time my pockets are filled with change and by trying to prove otherwise, by patting them, I do the complete opposite.

And as the satisfying sound of colliding shrapnel in my pockets echoes around me I think, why?

Why do I do it?

There are so many others too.

When in conversation with someone I often say ‘what?’ or ‘excuse me’ even when I heard what they said. Am I alone in this? Its personally my least favourite quirk.
Somebody says something. I hear it and process it. But for some reason, before I give the corresponding response, I insist on hearing the question again. I hope im not alone in that one.

Roast dinners change me.
For some reason when eating a roast dinner, my eating habit changes and I insist on eating everything on the plate separately. First, vegetables. Then, potatoes. Then any other minor edibles. And lastly, the meat. In that order……always.
I don’t do this with anything else EVER.

There are so many more that im sure ill remember later.

People fascinate me though.
So I was wondering what are your little quirks?
Do we share the same and if so, why so?
Why do we do these seemingly pointless rituals?

Are they important psychological tools, relics from days of old?

Please share your quirks and your reasons as to why we do them.

Thanks

(If this is in the wrong place please send it home
Although i would like it to be a discussion of the psychology of human quirks)

[edit on 01/06/09 by LiveForever8]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I obsessively rearrange things. I need change.
I know many exist like me.

I like things clean and then I mess it up to create chaos again.
I love storage boxes and containers, yet many are empty.

I am very critical of art.
Yet I adore it.
All forms of it.

I have no eating patterns.
I have certain foods I will not eat, I rarely finish my plate. I eat in no particular order...ever. I don't mind if my food touches, sometimes that's exciting to try them together. Like pear juice on your bread.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

So what do you think these things say about you, if anything at all?

Have they been passed onto you by family or are they your own creation?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think quirks would be defined by others. They are not quirky to me, just who I am.
I love change, not many in my family do.
I get flack for it.

But I am always happy to find others who relate.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I like to do nothing and let everything almost completely fall apart, so that I can then step in as the hero in my own drama and "save the day"!

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I always have to wear odd socks.. it drives people insane, they question me about them and just generally act like Im wearing dead kittens on my feet or something

And I cant stand the sound of people eating, have to leave the room if someone's eating loudly.. although I think alot of people have that one.

Not sure where those have come from, definately not from any family or friends though!

[edit on 033131p://f49Saturday by Bluebelle]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluebelle
I always have to wear odd socks.. it drives people insane, they question me about them and just generally act like Im wearing dead kittens on my feet or something

And I cant stand the sound of people eating, have to leave the room if someone's eating loudly.. although I think alot of people have that one.

Not sure where those have come from, definately not from any family or friends though!

[edit on 033131p://f49Saturday by Bluebelle]
odd like strange or odd like they don't match? I have no sock issues, other than hating when they slide off the toes in any way, or too loose that they fall, or itchy.. no itchy anything for me.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
I like to do nothing and let everything almost completely fall apart, so that I can then step in as the hero in my own drama and "save the day"!
I do that too. I wait for the universe, and if it doesn't come and help me.. then I will do something.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
It is fascinating that when love is fresh (for example, in the infatuation stage) we can often overlook these little quirks (and sometimes, they are even a source of endearment - ah, love is blind).
But as time wears on, so do these quirks. What was once just a little idiosyncrasy can begin to take on all the subtlety of fingernails scraping up and down on the black board.

But in the loud eating scenario......love is also deaf

[edit on 01/06/09 by LiveForever8]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

That is funny that you know you don't have a lighter but pat your pockets to prove it....

I'm a body language person. It irritates everyone I know but I can't help it. Sometimes (mostly) I get the meat of a situation more by listening for tone, tempo, body language and eye contact than by words spoken. Even then, I'm a word smith and "see" into the meaning behind the words spoken.

This behavior irritates most people to the extreme. I can't help it though. It is my quirk.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
ah, now I see why you may have started the thread.
At what point it becomes annoying to you is maybe when you should look at why. I hate repetition most times. That is part of liking change.
When something happens over and over it gets boring and then grating.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Odd as in not matching
although I wont wear a long sock & short sock together, they have to be matching lengths.
I have deep rooted issues with socks, I used to be fine wearing matching one's but had to wear them inside out because I hated the seam on the inside.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by LiveForever8

That is funny that you know you don't have a lighter but pat your pockets to prove it....

I'm a body language person. It irritates everyone I know but I can't help it. Sometimes (mostly) I get the meat of a situation more by listening for tone, tempo, body language and eye contact than by words spoken. Even then, I'm a word smith and "see" into the meaning behind the words spoken.

This behavior irritates most people to the extreme. I can't help it though. It is my quirk.
I'm a people watcher too. I point out the things I notice. It is irritating to some and some like the attention. I never know who I get.
I notice patterns in it. I wonder why. I assume.. and then state my theory.
lmao. I am entertained at least.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Odd as in not matching
although I wont wear a long sock & short sock together, they have to be matching lengths.
I have deep rooted issues with socks, I used to be fine wearing matching one's but had to wear them inside out because I hated the seam on the inside.
wonder what that is. Liking imbalance? Does it make you aware that your two feet are separate?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
would you wear non matching gloves as well?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Hey! I'm a chronic rearranger too. Lately I've beaten the habit somewhat. Now I only rearrange one or two things at a time. The last time I moved the trash can, everyone had a fit. I kept forgetting I moved it and would instinctively go where it was last. As soon as I get used to going to a new place to dump my garbage, I'll probably be compelled to move it again. My excuse is that it works better over there. Even if it really doesn't.

Mom used to rearrange everything all the time. I might have picked up the habit from her.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Hey! I'm a chronic rearranger too. Lately I've beaten the habit somewhat. Now I only rearrange one or two things at a time. The last time I moved the trash can, everyone had a fit. I kept forgetting I moved it and would instinctively go where it was last. As soon as I get used to going to a new place to dump my garbage, I'll probably be compelled to move it again. My excuse is that it works better over there. Even if it really doesn't.

Mom used to rearrange everything all the time. I might have picked up the habit from her.
Weren't we in that thread together? A while back. I do EXACTLY the same thing. My mom didn't move stuff though. I move her stuff and she says her boyfriend doesn't like it. He really doesn't, but she won't admit it bugs her too.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Odd as in not matching

Made me smile

I wear 'odd' socks, but not with the same meaning you. My socks are outlandish to say the least. I like to keep the establishment on its toes, shake things up a little, ya know?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Yes, it was one of the first threads I started when I joined ATS. I remember you because you are one of the first people I know who does what I do, rearrange the furniture (compulsively?).

Since that thread, I've rearranged my cupboards, closets, garage, garbage can, silverware drawers and bookshelves.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Yes, it was one of the first threads I started when I joined ATS. I remember you because you are one of the first people I know who does what I do, rearrange the furniture (compulsively?).

Since that thread, I've rearranged my cupboards, closets, garage, garbage can, silverware drawers and bookshelves.
I've got you beat! I have most of my possessions in boxes.. that I have repacked, yet I have no job yet, and no place to move to. But I will, and if the universe doesn't come help me... I'm gonna do something drastic. I MUST move. lol

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join