It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong youth caught in wave of ketamine addiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Hong Kong youth caught in wave of ketamine addiction

www.cnn.com

HONG KONG, China (CNN) -- A 16-year-old Hong Kong boy makes two phone calls for delivery: one for pizza, the other for the drug ketamine. Two teenage girls are found semi-conscious in a car park in the southern Chinese enclave after overdosing on ketamine. A 13-year-old boy joins a gang and is given free ketamine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The article goes on to claim why they think it's getting worse...

"Just look at our school development. I was here 14 years ago. At that time, I was the only teacher. I had 18 kids. I only had one student who was 15," he said. "But now, I have one third -- about 40 of them -- who are 15 years old or younger. That shows you the number of students getting into drugs is bigger and also getting younger and younger."

There were a few reasons why children were getting involved with drugs, such as troubled homes and difficulties at school, he said.

"People are more concerned about material things and they are getting lost," he added.

Is it really because of materialism? Earlier in the article they mentioned that ketamine was the cheapest... with coc aine being $103 a gram and Ketamine being $13.

Are we going to see the same kind of anti-drug stances the chinese have taken before? i.e. shooting them?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hmm, I suspect the Chinese authorities will not do much, other than trying to shut down the supply since it is Hong Kong, former British protectorate, and not mainland China. There would be trouble if the Chinese started shooting or harvesting Hong Kong citizens.

Materialism doesn't bring about spirituality which would explain the youth trying to find something else to distract them from their parent's demands to excel above and beyond.

I mean look at Los Angeles and New York- both are centers of materialism, though not as inescapable as Hong Kong. These centers have people who abuse substances.

I mean where can people from Hong Kong escape to? Their Chinese overlords have them locked in pretty tightly unless they can buy their freedom, which comes at a high price.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You can get addicted to ketamine? My experience with it is that it's a pretty weak drug. The Chinese government is lucky their people are doing special K instead of the American staples of crack or heroin.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Ketamine is anything but a weak drug, the main reason people take K is to reach the "K Hole" or basically its a mild coma like state that causes your thoughts to become reality (to you that is lol). its VERY spiritual, kinda like a near death experience, only you are able to come to terms with life in general and feel connected to everything and everyone around you. I have tried K many time and can definitely say that is is what caused me to awaken my sense of spirituality.

I do not condone the use of drugs... I'm just relating my past experiences.

Sorry if I'm talking in circles, its early and I haven't had my coffee lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
oh my god get real this stuff shouldnt be messed around with lol

just imagine being in a cartoon world where you have no control and cant move.. does that sound fun?..

well, at least if you are not expecting it, it is not. it has happened before when sold off as something else.. pretty scary infact.

either way, k hole isnt cool, seriously i dont even know how this crap catches on

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well not to advocate ketamine in any way shape or form, but i'd just like to add...

That one who is under the effects of a ketamine binge is highly unlikely to commit a crime, as they will no doubt be in a semi-lucid state, dribbling in the corner.

Ketamine basically knocks you for six, putting you in a near-sleep state and can be very addictive. It can also be hell for the user if they have an over-dose as the 'trip' can last for several hours. Physically it can disturb a persons balance and perception.

Mentally it can affect a user in a number of ways and has been proven to lead to long -term side effects such as memory loss and in some cases brain damage.

Unfortunately ketamine can be lethal when combined with other drugs , as was the case when i lost a friend of mine a few years ago. Stupidly he got in with the wrong crowd and mixed up a nasty coctail of ketamine and methadone and his brain shut down, leaving him essentially brain dead.

He later choked to death on his own vomit.

michael-philip-brogan.gonetoosoon.org...

Mods, i understand the rules of discussing illegal drugs, but i'd appreciate it if you could keep this thread open, as it could educate people and potentially save lives.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriousSkeptic
You can get addicted to ketamine? My experience with it is that it's a pretty weak drug.

You quite obviously don't know what you are talking about. Ketamine is NOT a weak drug and can cause serious problems.

Seriously get a grip and stop posting stupid, ignorant and potentially deadly information on the internet.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
How drugged up do we really think our future will be?

Is this the beginnings of a post-apocalyptic culture, or just normal angst taking place in the presence of a very serious and dangerous drug?

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
K is bad news.
It was big around my area(wales) in the 90s.
Never got involved myself...most people who witness someone on K will not be tempted to use it.Unless you strive to be slumped in a corner,drooling and slurring like a completely deranged nutball that is.
Vets use it to tranquilise horses for gods sake....not something I want in my body thank you.

Ketamine was developed by Dr. Craig Newlands of Wayne State University. It was then developed by Parke-Davis in 1962 as part of an effort to find a safer anesthetic alternative to phencyclidine (PCP), which was more likely to cause hallucinations, neurotoxicity and seizures. The drug was first given to American soldiers during the Vietnam War. It is still widely used in humans. There may be some evidence that ketamine has the potential to cause emergence phenomena because of the drug's possible psychotomimetic effects.[citation needed] It is also used widely in veterinary medicine, or as a battlefield anesthetic in developing nations.

en.wikipedia.org...

The things people do to get a buzz...crazy.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I would just like to add to this thread....Ketamine is a very harsh drug, especially as mr-lizard says when mixed with other drugs!
I am the Mother of the 'FRIEND' he mentioned. Since my son's death I have worked endlessly to educate children and young people about drugs. Most young people are misled into thinking recreational drug use is safe, these people are very nieve. My advice to any recreational drug user is to go out and research a drug before taking it, know the risks and potential harm you are doing, not only to yourselves but to those you would possibly be leaving behind if all goes wrong!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I would just also like to say to mr-lizard, no ketamine was found in my son's system. A certain person knowingly gave incorrect information as to what my son had taken. My son died due to the methadone alone. No other drug was found in his system apart from a very small dose of painkiller which was taken a few days previously for a sore foot.

I do appreciate what you have done here. The correct information can and will save lives!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
My apologies.

I was therefore misled. But i think my message remains the same. Recreational drugs (or any drugs legal or illegal) can kill.

I hope you are doing well and my thoughts are always with you.

I'll email you privately.

Peace and Love

L

top topics

join